Merida made news headlines today

RCCL just dropped Progresso from our stops on our cruise in March '09. (Added another day at sea instead) I'm sure it's is not related to this tragedy...but I did read about it this morning. I was looking forward to visiting Progresso, as I'd heard it was much more authentic than our other stops.

The violence in Mexico has reached a terrible high thanks to the drug cartel and crooked police. Meridia was supposed to be pretty safe but after reading that article the other day I am re-thinking our plans to catch a bus and go there from Progresso. I was really looking forward to it but I don't want to take a chance.

Do some more research. The vast majority of drug cartel violent crime is on the Texas-Mexico border. Much closer to home. Not in the Yucatan State which most consider one of the two safest states in Mexico. Merida in fact, from what I've read is safer than many, many US cities. So safe that most street cops don't even carry sidearms. There's even a Tourist Police on the streets to aid visitors. Look for the brown uniforms.

• 2 weeks later...

Kingfish -

I agree that we have to be cautious here at home as well as when we travel.

As for traveling, one advantage a cruise offers is tours in the port stops. Pre-arranged and guided by locals who know about trouble that may have been in the area.

My opinion is to not miss a port that you haven't been to before, and book through the ship if it's new to you.

Anytime you visit somewhere you should always be aware of your surroundings. We were there that week and not once did I ever feel unsafe or like I would be in any danger. In Merida there are soooo many people around and police patroling the square that you don't need to worry about anything. I would go back again without thinking twice. I felt safer here than I did when we went to Dominica a few years back. We took the same bus the locals take to travel back and forth from Progresso to Merida and it was a great trip.

Heck there are places in the US that I would not want to be caught ____ in!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived