Disney begins construction on new ships!

Disney began construction of its two new ships this week at a steel cutting ceremony in Papenburg, Germany. Disney first announced that they were planning to expand their fleet two years ago -- in February 2007 -- so we're excited to see this first step at long last toward the introduction of Disney new-builds. (The line's existing ships, Disney Magic and Disney Wonder, were introduced in 1998 and 1999 respectively, so it's been awhile!)

The new ships, which will each measure 128,000 tons and carry 2,500 passengers double occupancy, will be introduced in 2011 and 2012 respectively. Neither have a name, and we want to know: What do you think Disney should name its upcoming ships? We ran a poll on our homepage back in 2007 and offered some choices -- click here for those results -- but now we're asking you for your own write-ins!

Here are mine: Disney Sparkle and Disney Virtue.

OK, I shared (not saying they are great LOL) now I want to hear yours!

As for ship names the most popular seem to be:

Disney Dream or Dreams

Disney Wish or Wishes

Disney Fantasy

Disney Celebration

Disney Fantasia

Will Vegas have a line on this? :D

I think that you nailed it with Fantasia. My source sequestered inside Disney, known only as code-name "Red Stilleto" has smuggled out a super-secret spy photo of the new Fantasia ship design. I'll share it with you of you all can promise that it doesn't leave Cruise Critic. Really, we know where you live!

Sorry about the poor quality. Know that to bring you this much many Cruisecritic agents gave their lives or at least their lunch breaks...

Fantasia.JPG

Note that on the after house is the name "FANTASIA", not Disney Fantasia, an unprecedented break from precedent.

The minute I saw the story on the home page I immediately thought "Disney Fantasia". I think it encompasses all of the many Disney creations! Of course I collect Sorcerer Mickey items, complete with the tatoo on my ankle:D

..I don't like any of the ones from 2007..

Walt once said:

"Courage is the main quality of leadership, in my opinion, no matter where it is exercised. Usually it implies some risk — especially in new undertakings".

These ships are definitely new undertakings, so how about "Courage" for one?

144px-Walt_Disney_Snow_white_1937_trailer_screenshot_%2812%29.jpg

Just hope whever names it ins't related to the guy who named the NCL EPIC. At least they ship is a little sleeker looking (and I am getting the feel of space ship here) that the "other" new ship.

As for a name.hmmmm...Well they can name them after Walts's children

Diane Marie and Sharon Mae though nobody would get it.

I remember watching Disney as a kid and the song stated "The World is a Carousel of Color" Maybe Disney Carousel?

Just hope whever names it ins't related to the guy who named the NCL EPIC. At least they ship is a little sleeker looking (and I am getting the feel of space ship here) that the "other" new ship.

As for a name.hmmmm...Well they can name them after Walts's children

Diane Marie and Sharon Mae though nobody would get it.

I remember watching Disney as a kid and the song stated "The World is a Carousel of Color" Maybe Disney Carousel?

Or Lilly Belle. :D

ok, maybe not...just kidding...

I do get Diane Marie and Sharon Mae...if you've heard of them then you can probably guess where I got my username... :D

How exciting! I can't wait to see where they are going to sail from.

Dawn

Not totally positive but i have heard a rumor that they will have the magic or the wonder doing 7 nighters on the west coast, probobly from Los Angeles (closer to Disneyland) Then they will have the other disney Magic or Wonder sailing the Caribbean in the winter and sailing either Europe or Alaska in the summer. The two new ships, which i hope wil be named the Disney Dream and the Disney Imagination will take the place at Port Canaveral.

The Disney Beauty and the Disney Beast.

From a marketing standpoint, calling a cruise ship the "Disney Beast" might be a hard sell...

Then again, Beast would be a pretty fitting name for that hideous thing that NCL calls the Epic :eek:, but that discussion is for another thread...

Not totally positive but i have heard a rumor that they will have the magic or the wonder doing 7 nighters on the west coast, probobly from Los Angeles (closer to Disneyland) Then they will have the other disney Magic or Wonder sailing the Caribbean in the winter and sailing either Europe or Alaska in the summer. The two new ships, which i hope wil be named the Disney Dream and the Disney Imagination will take the place at Port Canaveral.

I had also heard that too. Thanks for your feedback. I was hoping they would come up to New York.

Since there is a MSC Fantasia, I don't know if they would use it. I think your names have a very good chance. I personally was hoping for something relating more to Tinkerbell.

Dawn

I am so excited about the new ships!!!

My name ideas are (Disney) Enchantment and (Disney) Animation. I tried to think of names that haven't been used before...Dream wouldn't work since Carnival is using it...

:o

Carnival ship names won't weigh too heavily, IMO. Carnival did not name their ship Disney Dream or Disney Dreams. Carnival also has a ship named Carnival Magic.

I know someone already mentioned this, But I vote for Minney and Mickey.

Or perhaps "Disney Queen Minnie" and " Disney King Mickey"

Most likely I will not sail on these ships unless I can get a good deal. My son is now 13 and too grown up for these Disney Ships...

I did get a good chuckle from someone who mentioned the "Disney Beast".

Tom in Long Beach (Perhaps still slighty bitter from bad treatment from Disney on the Queen Mary back in 1989). (They fired me on Christmas Eve, only because I did not want to shave my mustache. Walt had one so this made no sense to me).

I will go to the theme parks and see their movies but do not want to give them the serious $$$ for a disney cruise.

Archived