Princess just called re: 11/6 Diamond Boarding

PLHag

Not sure what is up, but Princess just called (9:00 p.m. night before cruise) to tell us that the 11/6 Diamond Princess will NOT BEGIN BOARDING UNTIL 2:00 p.m. Makes me wonder if there is a problem with the 10/30 cruise return or if the port is expecting unusual disembarking delays.

Has anyone else heard anything?

HI, We were on the october 9th sailing out of San pedro, and we didnt board till after 2pm either, but we werent called, so maybe its just a new thing cause homeland security is the new thing that has to clear customs and immigration also. We had to wait in the terminal building for almost 2 hours while they called boarding number cards they handed out after you got your cruise cards, good luck! Becky

I was just on the NCL Star in San Pedro yesterday. They were running about 45 minutes behind schedule in the debarkation. 3 ships in port and traffic was a mess. Maybe this is the reason?

We just got off the Diamond...we arrived at the port in time (7am), but disembarkation was SLOW...thanks to immigration officials. We waited in several lounges for 3 hours before we were able to disembark at 11:30 am, and my guess at that point would be that at least a quarter of the ship's passengers were still on the ship at that point. Great time though, really didn't want to leave...

Jan 03 we were getting on the Sun Princess in San Pedro and Princess had to share the terminal building with Carnival because RCI was where Princess usually is. Both Carnival and Princess had to clear customs before anyone could get off either ship. We arrived at 11:45 AM and people were getting off of the Sun Princess until about 12:15. It was a real mess!!!! Porters headed in the opposite direction with our luggage and we had to run after them telling them we were getting on the ship. There was no one giving directions and they were totally unprepared in the terminal building.

Jan 03 we were getting on the Sun Princess in San Pedro and Princess had to share the terminal building with Carnival because RCI was where Princess usually is. Both Carnival and Princess had to clear customs before anyone could get off either ship. We arrived at 11:45 AM and people were getting off of the Sun Princess until about 12:15. It was a real mess!!!! Porters headed in the opposite direction with our luggage and we had to run after them telling them we were getting on the ship. There was no one giving directions and they were totally unprepared in the terminal building.

and as they add even more ships, it is going to get even worse! Right now they can accomodate 3 ships max. With that there is a huge amount of traffic involved. They are increasing the port are to handle 4 ships, but I see no indication that they are doing anything about the traffic flow. It really is pure chaos if you are unfortunate enough to be in on one of these days.

and as they add even more ships, it is going to get even worse! Right now they can accomodate 3 ships max. With that there is a huge amount of traffic involved. They are increasing the port are to handle 4 ships, but I see no indication that they are doing anything about the traffic flow. It really is pure chaos if you are unfortunate enough to be in on one of these days.
Interesting that today the San Pedro port schedule http://208.179.220.201/calendars/Calcium37.pl?CalendarName=sanpedrocruiseship&Op=ShowIt&Amount=Month&NavType=Absolute&Type=Block&Date=2004/11/1 only shows the Diamond Princess.

on 11/5 there was the RCL, Island Princess, and the NCL Star. RCL at the old terminal and Princess and NCL sharing the "new".

It was a MESS!!!

We had a great cruise, but what a bad way to say farewell. We did not get off the ship until 12:15, did not get our luggage and to the curb until 1:30. Fortunately, we did not have a plane to catch. It was not handled very well. A simple announcement, an offer of juice-or something would have been in order.

We would be a lot more patient with these delays if we weren't booted out our rooms so early.

The cruise itself, was WONDERFUL. Today's debarkation was our only negative.

We thought we might be late because of a couple of girls who almost missed the boat in Cabo. We watched them over the side as they donned life vests and climbed up a Jacob's ladder. A friend might have a foto of this which I'll try to post later if I can figure out how to do it.

What a wonderful ship, great staff, really good food & good entertainment.

This was cruise #26 for us and we're ready to go again. We took along some first timers who used to think that camping was the ultimate vacation. They are of a different opinion now.

Ty

For all practical purposes 2:30 PM should be fine. It does appear that the ship clearing is running late at least 1/3 of the cruises this season. I have been down at the port watching people still leaving the ship at 12 noon 3 times already this Fall season.

If I had to fly out of LAX I would not book a flight before 2 PM to make it safe.

Steve Hayes

Our flight leaves LA at 2:30. Will we have enough time to catch this flight? Will be traveling with elderly mother so there is no way we can move very quickly. Thoughts, please?

Thanks!

For all practical purposes 2:30 PM should be fine. It does appear that the ship clearing is running late at least 1/3 of the cruises this season. I have been down at the port watching people still leaving the ship at 12 noon 3 times already this Fall season. If I had to fly out of LAX I would not book a flight before 2 PM to make it safe. Steve Hayes
Thank you, Steve. This is the second time today you have helped me big time. First was about the Marina hotel. Your help is greatly appreciated!:)

I travel with varied age groups from children to older family members and the last thing I want on my vacations is to get anxiety attacks for/about family members.

Steve Hayes

Thank you, Steve. This is the second time today you have helped me big time. First was about the Marina hotel. Your help is greatly appreciated!:)

Archived