Melbourne Trams/Trains/Buses MYKI travel card

I reside in NSW but will be visiting Melbourne for one day in early November 2013 (ol Celebrity Solstice). I have purchased a MYKI travel card online for $3.00 (concession). All good, should arrive in next week or so. However, how do I pre-load it with money. If I do this online they have a minimum of $10 but I only need maximum $4.00 for all day concessional travel.

I particularly don't want to line up at the local store nearest the cruise terminal (to top up my card) with possibly 100's/1,000's of other passengers trying to buy MYKI travel cards or visitor packs.

Then, I thought I might purchase the MYKI travel pack (which includes a pre-loaded card with $4.00 on it + vouchers & travel map), but, guess what..... you can't buy those online!!! You need to go into the city to purchase them.

Can anyone tell me how to get around this problem.

Thanks for any assistance.

I can't really see a solution unfortunately, either load it online with the minimum or go to a 7/11 and load money on. You can also do it at the larger ticket machines but I don't know if there will be one of them in Port Melbourne.

I believe you can buy the visitors pack at the port but again, you'll be lining up with all the other people.

You should go to MYKI website and pre load the card with minimum $ Travel Value .

BUT do NOT do this outside of 90 days before you arrive in Melbourne.

Then straight off the boat touch on on the Light Rail up to the City it will recognize your loaded credit and that is it .

1. You touch on on trams but NO need to touch off .

2. Trains you touch on at start of trip, and touch off at end of your trip.

Its that simple . Any unused credit on your card is valid for use up to three year life of your card .

Many thanks to everyone for your help. I think I will load card with the minimum $10 online.....the unused portion on the card will be a small price to pay for not having to queue up with all the other passengers.

I was just wondering if I would be able to purchase a MYKI online living outside of Australia?. I"m presuming that I would need to buy two cards as there is two of us.

I too was also trying to avoid the big queue at the pier but then again there is bound to be another long queue waiting for us at the light rail stop with everyone wanting to get to the CBD . Advice anyone?.

I was just wondering if I would be able to purchase a MYKI online living outside of Australia?. I"m presuming that I would need to buy two cards as there is two of us.

I too was also trying to avoid the big queue at the pier but then again there is bound to be another long queue waiting for us at the light rail stop with everyone wanting to get to the CBD . Advice anyone?.

when you come off the ship there is a queue waiting in the terminal wanting to buy myki tickets but if you leave the terminal and walk up to the tram stop and buy your ticket at the shop its normally pretty quick

You can buy the MYKI on line via website and charge the card and loading cost to a credit card.

Two persons require a Myki each .

You order the cards and pre-load with Australian $ value and have them mailed to your home address which can be outside Australia.

BUT do not do this until you are within 90 days of your arrival in Melbourne, as otherwise when you touch on your loaded credit will not be recognized. (To get around this one needs to touch the card on a re-load machine and add a small $ amount additional credit as cash in the machine. Your original credit plus the extra couple of dollars will then be recognized.)

Just found out this information from reliable Myki source.You can bpay as little as $1.00 to their myki with

bpay code 24778 and the card number as the reference. But they need a

cent more than any planned travel. So at the weekend they'd need

$3.51 on the card. You can buy the myki online with no credit. Hope this is of some help

Just found out this information from reliable Myki source.You can bpay as little as $1.00 to their myki with

$3.51 on the card. You can buy the myki online with no credit. Hope this is of some help

Does this mean I can do the BPAY transaction online "after" I receive my MYKI cards in the mail. Also, would I need to go through the card registration process online as well?

Thanks everyone, I will buy two cards on the MYKI site and load credit a month before we travel. If that all works to plan then hopefully all we need to do is to hop on the tram at the Pier and touch the card right?.

Correct!

Hubby and I pre-purchased our MIKI cards before our last cruise and had to load the minimum $10 credit (I rang the MIKI people to make sure everything was correct and put the credit on over the phone.

Was great as we didnt have to join the queue to purchase the cards at the pier!! We just had to head to the tram and get on!

Correct!

Hubby and I pre-purchased our MIKI cards before our last cruise and had to load the minimum $10 credit (I rang the MIKI people to make sure everything was correct and put the credit on over the phone.

Was great as we didnt have to join the queue to purchase the cards at the pier!! We just had to head to the tram and get on!

Thanks! Now I have to work the Sydney rail out, we are there for two days.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for this excellent and accurate info. I have done exactly as you advised and the BPAY was accepted for $4 each card. I am now armed with two MYKI cards with $4 credit each which will cover all our Concessional travel for our day in Melbourne. Your information is "not" featured anywhere on their website so once again, thank you. No queues at Melbourne dockside...... yippee ! Just stroll off the ship and catch the first bus/tram.

Thank you very much for this excellent and accurate info. I have done exactly as you advised and the BPAY was accepted for $4 each card. I am now armed with two MYKI cards with $4 credit each which will cover all our Concessional travel for our day in Melbourne. Your information is "not" featured anywhere on their website so once again' date=' thank you. No queues at Melbourne dockside...... yippee ! Just stroll off the ship and catch the first bus/tram.[/quote']

Yes, it is very helpful advice! Last time we cruised to Melbourne it was bedlam with so many lining up to purchase a ticket! The tram people thankfully took pity on us and just starting piling us all in as it was just a new system and no-one seemed to know how it worked!

For those here who successfully use the system of pre-ordering the cards then put some credit on them online, it would be appreciated if you come back here afterwards and share your experiences of using this card.:)

Thanks! Gae

Yes, it is very helpful advice! Last time we cruised to Melbourne it was bedlam with so many lining up to purchase a ticket! The tram people thankfully took pity on us and just starting piling us all in as it was just a new system and no-one seemed to know how it worked!

For those here who successfully use the system of pre-ordering the cards then put some credit on them online, it would be appreciated if you come back here afterwards and share your experiences of using this card.:)

Thanks! Gae

For hubby and I, we found the whole experience of using the cards so easy. The only thing I found confusing, was finding out the information at first. As I said in an earlier post, I had ring up the MYKI people to make sure that I had everything correct and while I was getting the help, I put the credit on the cards at the same time.

But when it came to actually being in Melbourne and using the cards, it was so easy. Just tap on when getting on a tram (dont need to tap off on trams) and then when using the trains, it's just tap on at the barriers and tap off again going through the barriers at your destination. Buses I have no idea about!

For hubby and I, we found the whole experience of using the cards so easy. The only thing I found confusing, was finding out the information at first. As I said in an earlier post, I had ring up the MYKI people to make sure that I had everything correct and while I was getting the help, I put the credit on the cards at the same time.

But when it came to actually being in Melbourne and using the cards, it was so easy. Just tap on when getting on a tram (dont need to tap off on trams) and then when using the trains, it's just tap on at the barriers and tap off again going through the barriers at your destination. Buses I have no idea about!

Thanks Tillydog! Thats all very reassuring! Mind you, being a country girl it's just as confusing for me when I use Sydney public transport! :eek:

Gae

Buses you have to touch on and touch off. This is because some of the buses can travel between Zone 1 or Zone 2. You don't want to be charged for the wrong Zone or both Zone 1 or 2. Its all done by GPS. Same with Trains. Only trams you need to just touch on. Because all the trams run only in Zone 1.

Thanks Tillydog! Thats all very reassuring! Mind you, being a country girl it's just as confusing for me when I use Sydney public transport! :eek:

Gae

Sydney are getting the 'Opal Card' system, to be fully rolled out by the end of 2014. It's only being trialled in certain parts of the City at the moment. But it's supposedly similar to Melbourne's MYKI!!

http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/opal

I rang MYKI and we can purchase our "Visitor packs" at the Skybus kiosk at the airport - and it's ready for use. We only want it for a day and covering Zone 1. The customer service person told us that when you tag on a tram, (no need to tag off) half your allowance gets credited (visitor pack is pre loaded with $4.00 senior) then tag on another tram - the other half gets credited - but you can tag on all day on different trams and no extra money required - as it is a day ticket. So when we arrive at the airport - to the Skybus kiosk we will go.

I am happy we have finally worked it out for us - and thanks to all who have been helpful :)

Archived