Zeebrugge..Flander's Field & last Post ship's Tour question

janny444

Hi....can any one please tell me how long this trip is for....do you see the battlefields?

The reason I am asking is that we are cruising with a " rival" cruise company and their Flander's Field Tour is just to Flander's Field Museum ...no Last Post and only last 4 & half hours so I am wondering how P&O's Flander's Field Tour compares....I would really like to see the actual battlefields rather than just a museum.

We did this trip a couple of years ago. We rarely do ships tours but felt that we would be pushing it for time to be back on time before the sailed.

On the way to Ypres we stopped at Tyne Cot, a large cemetery. On arriving in Ypres we went to the Flanders Fields Museum. After we had entered the museum timing was down to us, enabling us to see the museum at our own speed. We then had free time in Ypres (chocolate shopping!). The Last Post service is at 8pm, but you need to be there a little before that time as it is very popular. A handkerchief may come in handy. We then went straight to the pre arranged meeting place for the coach and back to the ship. The ship sailed very soon after we boarded.

If you have anyone you wish to lay a wreath for there is a website that you can apply to do this. I have no idea what their criteria or selection processes are, but there were several individuals and groups doing this when we were there.

We felt it was an excellent trip. As always I'm sure it could be done cheaper, it is just the fine line with timings.

Just to add......I think the trip was around 8 hours. You drive through villages and countryside on the way where the fighting took place. We were given a basic map of the area on the coach.

Hi....thank you for the info....sounds more like what we would want to see. The " rival" cruise company's trip is only 4 & half hours and only mentions the Flanders Field Museum ...which I should imagine is very interesting & moving but I would like to hear the Last Post. Thank you for the info about the wreath laying but our relative is buried at Le Havre cemetery which we will be visiting for a second time on our cruise in September so shall take some personal mementos to commemorate the 100 years since the end of the war....incidentally our relative died 12th November the day after the end of WW1 aged 19