Clam rental

kutty77

Quick question I hear everyone saying that you should rent a clam for the private island. I know they said that it has 2 lounge chairs and it cost $29.00. My question is when you rent them are you guaranteed to get one? or are they first come? I know that the sell out but if I was to rent 2 of them on board but say about time I get off the Jewel it is like 12pm Will they still be available? How do they keep from just anyone using them? Thank you Kelly

There should be no problem if you rented one. And I have mentioned in the past on these boards that getting one early is the key.. You are correct, the are a bit back from the water and if you're not in the first or second row, I think they're basically useless. Why would you want a shell that is far from the beach & has no view of the water! Unless you need to get some shade or may have a need to be protected from the sun, I see no reason to rent a shell that isolates you from the beautiful view.. plus if you have kids, why would you want a shell when you can't monitor them on the beach or in the water.

Hi,

When you rent your shell on board, I read somewhere, that gives you tender 1 to go on the beach. The crew on the beach do pre-install the shells on the beach before you get there. I think you should get there early to make sure.

They install them randomly on the beach but you can move them very easily . And that's good for all the chairs on the beach. The day starts with all the chairs lined up but every body move them.

If you are blocked behind a clam and do not like the view then you can move to a nicer spot.

All of that applies to GSC in feb 2010

I'd like to politely disagree with the above.. we were told that we could not move our shell to a non obscured area, and no one did while I was there. Plus you're talking dozens of clam-shells, if everyone moved theirs they would literally be all over the place. They are in rows.. each row has about 20... the rows are about 7 clam-shells deep.. you can't get all these sheels an unobstructed view.

Hi Just got back from our cruise on Friday.

You have to pre-order them from the excursion desk on the ship.

you don't have to be on the first tender there will be a reserve sign on the clam shells. There will be somenoe on the island that will put them together for you.

We order two one for me and my wife and one for the in-laws we did'nt use our at all, we stayed in the water the whole day, if you need the shade then it's worth it but if you love the water like we do then you really don't need them.

They are located three rolls from the lounge chairs, they're two rolls of them some are behind the others.

Thank you all for the information on it. I think that I am going to rent one. Does anyone have any up close or any picture of what it looks like? I know that they give you tickets for the first tender but I have also heard that noone follows that and it takes forever to get to the island.

Great update Geo, thanks. Agree about the clamshells being further from the water, also they can be quite warm as no breeze circulates. How was the availability of lounges and umbrellas when you were there? We leave September 13th and looking forward to a day of R&R.

I'd like to politely disagree with the above.. we were told that we could not move our shell to a non obscured area, and no one did while I was there. Plus you're talking dozens of clam-shells, if everyone moved theirs they would literally be all over the place. They are in rows.. each row has about 20... the rows are about 7 clam-shells deep.. you can't get all these sheels an unobstructed view.

Well like I said it was like that in feb 2010, but I know that GSC is now under construction, maybe they now enforce that rule on GSC. :confused:

That's too bad because there was a good part of beach not taken buy chairs or clam and everyone "broke" the lines of chairs and moved in the part available and all the beach felt no so crowded. :)

Sebas030, You are correct.. the island was undergoing "development". When I was there in late July, you could hear the heavy machinery just over the hill behind the beach. There was plenty of open space behind rows and rows of beach loungers to the right of the beach as you faced the ocean.. but the crew that was opening up and attending to these claim-shells told us we were not allowed to move them and they were prohibited where we wanted them to be. I agree that if you reserve one (onbaord the ship at the excusion desk) there should be no problem getting one. But I still like to point out that if you do not get one in the first two rows and do not want to stare at the back of these big blue half bubbles, and would rather sit close to the shore and actually see the beach.. either get there early or don't get one at all. I think they're great, but not 5 rows back and with no view.

Thanks everyone for the information on the clam shells. I am not really sure if I want one now LOL Since you are paying for them I would rather pay an extra 5 or 10.00 more and have the all with a great view. Does anyone have any pictures of them? Thank you everyone again

Archived