I'M AN OLD LADY. WHAT CAN I EXPECT?

KATHIEH

I am sailing on the Royal Clipper on August 28th out of Civitavecchia, Italy after the optional three days in Rome. I have been on sixteen cruises on small (144 passenger) ships to large (2500 passenger) ships in all parts of the world, so I am no stranger to life aboard ship. However, this will be my first experience on a clipper ship and while I am greatly looking forward to it I am wondering what to expect. I would think there would be passengers from many countries and I hope of all ages. Being over seventy myself I hope there will be some brave souls my age who are looking for this new kind of sea adventure, but wonder if I will have to brace myself….or take a heavy duty course in physical training….in order to keep pace with fellow sailors half my age! I walk a mile and a half at 3.0 mph five days a week, but is this enough to keep me from always lagging behind on port excursions? I suppose I could hire a personal trainer and maybe run a 10K before August……nah! So, what do you say…. anyone who’s been there, done that have any advice for me?

Thanks,

KathieH

KATHIEH

If you can walk that far you have nothing to worry about. Most people these days don't walk half a block without taking a car.....You might be surprised that you find you are waiting for others who stop to look at souveniers along the way. Just think, if you find one of those Italian studmuffins catch your fancy...you might find yourself movin real fast in his direction..so behave and have a great time. The Royal Clipper is a beautiful ship with a great crew....enjoy!

• 7 months later...
I am sailing on the Royal Clipper on August 28th out of Civitavecchia, Italy after the optional three days in Rome. I have been on sixteen cruises on small (144 passenger) ships to large (2500 passenger) ships in all parts of the world, so I am no stranger to life aboard ship. However, this will be my first experience on a clipper ship and while I am greatly looking forward to it I am wondering what to expect. I would think there would be passengers from many countries and I hope of all ages. Being over seventy myself I hope there will be some brave souls my age who are looking for this new kind of sea adventure, but wonder if I will have to brace myself….or take a heavy duty course in physical training….in order to keep pace with fellow sailors half my age! I walk a mile and a half at 3.0 mph five days a week, but is this enough to keep me from always lagging behind on port excursions? I suppose I could hire a personal trainer and maybe run a 10K before August……nah! So, what do you say…. anyone who’s been there, done that have any advice for me?

Thanks,

KathieH

KATHIEH

So - how did it go?

I bet you loved it.

JDB

Archived