anybody do the swim with the dolphins?

grg

We're thinking of doing this with our 9 and 11 y.o. boys. How was the water during the swim? Did it seem real deep, was there algae or seaweed where you swim? I understand the pictures are very expensive. Any info about the experience would be welcome.

Our boys love pools but haven't been in the ocean for swimming before and are not strong swimmers yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not done this but have found that St. Kitts has the least expensive dolphin swim of the islands from my research. I have no idea what the pictures cost, but would guess they are expensive anywhere. You really only need one good one imo.

• 3 months later...

My daughter was 9 when we did this. She could barely doggie paddle. There are a few times when they'll have to swim alone (with life vests) away from the group so the dolphins can bring you back. It's a bit of a ways out - maybe 10 yards. Way cool experience but being able to swim at least a little is necessary. Parents can't go with them, I asked.

You're on a metal platform in the water and there's some algae on it so it can be slippery, but not horribly so. No water shoes allowed, everyone must be barefoot.

Pictures are INSANELY expensive! They wanted $30-$35 for a single print and around $150 for the CD of all the pictures. But they take pictures of each individual person, so you'd end up spending $300 just for the 2 CD's for your boys. You can negotiate a little, but they're pretty hard to get down in price.

We went a year and a half ago, and our daughter STILL talks about swimming with the dolphins. It was a once in a lifetime experience, but you will pay dearly if you want the photos to remember it by.