Salt Cravings

My downfall is major salt cravings every afternoon - and everthing that contains salt is also fattening. I just ate 3 tbsp of peanut butter washed down with green olives - I can't keep doing that and lose ANY weight by by cruise on the 5th of April! Any ideas what might be causing it :confused:

mineral deficiency, probably potassium.

My downfall is major salt cravings every afternoon - and everthing that contains salt is also fattening. I just ate 3 tbsp of peanut butter washed down with green olives - I can't keep doing that and lose ANY weight by by cruise on the 5th of April! Any ideas what might be causing it :confused:

Is it every day or just during pms week? That's when I get it.

I take "the pill" constanty for migraines so I don't have PMS or a period, which rocks when you vacation as much as we do. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

I was going to try Kalamari's suggestion and load up on bananas and kiwis when I go grocery-ing tomorrow and report back.

kalamari wrote:

mineral deficiency, probably potassium.

Kalamari is probably correct cowprintrabbit (thats a really strange user name, is there a story). You should go to the doctor and have a blood test for biochemistry - check all your minerals, salts etc. There may be an underlying problem. If there is it should be investigated and corrected.

Don't want to scare you but 3 tbsp of peanut butter washed down with green olives is a pretty strange thing to eat. Unless, you have always had a salt fetish. Just my 2c

Salt makes you crave salt. You MUST cut down. You HAVE to cut down. Is eating all that crap with salt worth the possibity of having a stroke or hypertension and dying? REALITY sucks!

If you are already overweight to begin with, and I bet you are if you are posting here, and loading up on salt, well, you are a walking stroke waiting to happen.

I work in a hospital which is why I suggested the potassium, have seen this happen with patients.

I suspect also that you are not drinking enough water..even if you are drinking the average recommended amount you may need to drink more.

You really need to go to the doctor to check this out.

I am like that old Star Trek version of the Salt monster that sucked all the salt out of people. I LOVE SALT!! It is so bad. I used to think I loved butter, but now realize that it is just the creamy salt that I crave. I know I should cut down alot. The only suggestion is that if you can detox off salt, I've heard that you crave less of it.

SALT MAKES YOU CRAVE SALT. Ever hear the Lays commercial for their chips, "You can't eat just one"??

I used to eat a lot of salt..I gradually switched to the lower sodium kind..and eventually barely at all.

If you eat SALT you are only going to get MORE FAT. The average person requires LESS than 2 Tablespoons per day for normal physiological functions..most people have more like 1/2 cup. You should aim for less than 2000mg per day.

READ the labels.

You get used to having less of it. Tastebuds adjust. YOU have to make the COMMITMENT to use less and FORCE yourself to adjust. If you don't, well, you will have no right to complain about weight gain and other health problems. Of course your tastebuds will scream, they aren't use to having less!

I am like that old Star Trek version of the Salt monster that sucked all the salt out of people. I LOVE SALT!! It is so bad. I used to think I loved butter, but now realize that it is just the creamy salt that I crave. I know I should cut down alot. The only suggestion is that if you can detox off salt, I've heard that you crave less of it.

kalamari wrote:

Kalamari is probably correct cowprintrabbit (thats a really strange user name, is there a story). You should go to the doctor and have a blood test for biochemistry - check all your minerals, salts etc. There may be an underlying problem. If there is it should be investigated and corrected.

Don't want to scare you but 3 tbsp of peanut butter washed down with green olives is a pretty strange thing to eat. Unless, you have always had a salt fetish. Just my 2c

If you look at my avatar, that is my mother's pet rabbit - she was the first thing I saw when I was 15 and searching for a creative email address. I've been stuck ever since :rolleyes: Try doing business with that on your card!

I asked my Dr and all he did was check my thyroid?

Salt makes you crave salt. You MUST cut down. You HAVE to cut down. Is eating all that crap with salt worth the possibity of having a stroke or hypertension and dying? REALITY sucks!

If you are already overweight to begin with, and I bet you are if you are posting here, and loading up on salt, well, you are a walking stroke waiting to happen.

I work in a hospital which is why I suggested the potassium, have seen this happen with patients.

I suspect also that you are not drinking enough water..even if you are drinking the average recommended amount you may need to drink more.

You really need to go to the doctor to check this out.

Actually, I'm one of those horible people that everyone else thinks looks fine but would really like to lose 10 more lbs... I take a blood pressure med for migraines and have already low blood pressure from my mom so the Dr says as much salt as I want is fine. I'm sure she didn't means the peanut butter and green olives, tho.

Come to think of it when I was little I used to get busted for eating it straight out of the shaker :eek:

Yesterday, though, a banana in my grapenuts for breakfast seems to have kept the cravings at bay. Day 2 - banana and cheerios!

Is ignorant. May be a nice guy but ignornant. He might be a decent doctor but a lot of them don't understand chemistry. An endocrinologist would know immediately to test for that.

Eat a lot of guavas if you can find them fresh, and drink coconut water without sugar..green coconuts or get it in a can in the soda aisle.

You need to have a full blood level work up which will test for all minerals lacking..potassium, iron, etc. etc..

If you look at my avatar, that is my mother's pet rabbit - she was the first thing I saw when I was 15 and searching for a creative email address. I've been stuck ever since :rolleyes: Try doing business with that on your card!

I asked my Dr and all he did was check my thyroid?

Actually, I'm one of those horible people that everyone else thinks looks fine but would really like to lose 10 more lbs... I take a blood pressure med for migraines and have already low blood pressure from my mom so the Dr says as much salt as I want is fine. I'm sure she didn't means the peanut butter and green olives, tho.

Come to think of it when I was little I used to get busted for eating it straight out of the shaker :eek:

Yesterday, though, a banana in my grapenuts for breakfast seems to have kept the cravings at bay. Day 2 - banana and cheerios!

There also may be "natural" ways to solve your problem. Just by changing your diet could solve it. I would go to a holistic Dr. We go to one in our area. We eat all organic at home, which has improve our health just by doing that. The processed foods in the stores now a days is so addecting and probably has a "lot" of salt in everything.....

Fresh cocnout water straight from the green coconut is best, or see if you can find the unsweetned kind in the can in the soda aisle...has a TON of potassium.

There also may be "natural" ways to solve your problem. Just by changing your diet could solve it. I would go to a holistic Dr. We go to one in our area. We eat all organic at home, which has improve our health just by doing that. The processed foods in the stores now a days is so addecting and probably has a "lot" of salt in everything.....

I eat pretty well, apart from my peanut butter & olive problem. I have a digestive disorder that makes me pretty much skip the center of the supermarket...

I'm going to keep on with this potassium thing and see if I can find the coconut milk next time I get to the grocery. Thanks Kalamari!

Coconut water..HUGE HUGE difference! :)

If you are on meds for your digestive disorder also ask your doc. if the side effects of the meds might cause this...if you have a digestive disorder I can't imagine that anything with salt is going to help it.

Somehow I think your problem is more easily solved than you think...

I eat pretty well, apart from my peanut butter & olive problem. I have a digestive disorder that makes me pretty much skip the center of the supermarket...

I'm going to keep on with this potassium thing and see if I can find the coconut milk next time I get to the grocery. Thanks Kalamari!

Coconut water..HUGE HUGE difference! :)

If you are on meds for your digestive disorder also ask your doc. if the side effects of the meds might cause this...if you have a digestive disorder I can't imagine that anything with salt is going to help it.

Somehow I think your problem is more easily solved than you think...

Problem exists between brain and keyboard - that's what I meant to type :D

I bought green coconuts for 1.39 yesterday at my farmstand here..oh my gosh..sat in the fridge all night and I drank one for breakfast..YUM..

My guess is you'll have to drink it from a can unless you live more in a tropoical area lke I do. My neighbor and I are giong to shag them from some trees in our neighborhood this week.

Problem exists between brain and keyboard - that's what I meant to type :D

Archived