Visiting Ostia Antica after Disembarkation, enroute to Rome?

Shadow9612

I'm looking at spending 2 days in Rome post-cruise. I've been to Rome before, but have not yet seen Ostia Antica.

I was originally thinking of taking a day trip from Rome, but then thought I could save time by stopping on the way right after the cruise.

If I take a private shuttle/transfer to Rome, and stop on the way, is it safe to leave our luggage in the vehicle?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

If you take a private transfer, your driver will (or should) stay with the vehicle so your luggage should be safe.

However, if you want to do this, it's likely that you'll face a significantly higher cost as this will be considered a tour plus transfer, not just a transfer.

I can vouch that it's very easy to get to Ostia from Rome on your own, if you decided to do it that way.

If you take a private transfer, your driver will (or should) stay with the vehicle so your luggage should be safe.

However, if you want to do this, it's likely that you'll face a significantly higher cost as this will be considered a tour plus transfer, not just a transfer.

I can vouch that it's very easy to get to Ostia from Rome on your own, if you decided to do it that way.

I was hoping to hear from you Cruisemom!

I am really torn about which option to choose. I think my main concern is saving time overall. How much extra time do you think I would be adding if I did do the trip directly from Rome on my own?

• 2 weeks later...
I was hoping to hear from you Cruisemom!

I am really torn about which option to choose. I think my main concern is saving time overall. How much extra time do you think I would be adding if I did do the trip directly from Rome on my own?

Sorry for the delayed response. I was on vacation and must have missed your follow-up question.

Adding Ostia as a stop on a private transfer would save you SOME time, it's true, but unless your hotel is at FCO, the transfer will be going out of their way versus just taking you into Rome from the port. On the other hand, if you start early on the day following your arrival and get to Ostia at about the time it opens, you've not really wasted any useful time. I don't recall exactly how long it took me to get from central Rome to Ostia via the metro and train but I think it was about an hour, give or take, depending on your timing.

Just a word of warning - Ostia is not open every day, check before you travel!
Ostia is only closed on Mondays. Open every other day of the week.
Wow! Thank you both for this. I probably wouldn't have thought to check that!

Sorry for the delayed response. I was on vacation and must have missed your follow-up question.

Adding Ostia as a stop on a private transfer would save you SOME time, it's true, but unless your hotel is at FCO, the transfer will be going out of their way versus just taking you into Rome from the port. On the other hand, if you start early on the day following your arrival and get to Ostia at about the time it opens, you've not really wasted any useful time. I don't recall exactly how long it took me to get from central Rome to Ostia via the metro and train but I think it was about an hour, give or take, depending on your timing.

Oh gosh, no need to apologize! Thank you for this information, it helps with my planning. I hope you had a nice vacation!