An Invitation to spend a day onboard

Single Cruiser

I've just received "an invitation from P&O Cruises" to spend a day onboard any of the ships with several dates in the forthcoming months for just £20 including lunch although no alcohol as it says they can't serve it whilst in port at Southampton?

Is this usual or as I suspect its Carnival/P&O targetting those who have spent 10s of thousands on OV cruises over the last few years..

Interesting this because I wanted a look around Azura as we are going on her later in the year, I am informed that if you are a P&O customer or if you have a future cruise booked then you can't do this....so do you qualify as a non P&O customer with nothing booked? (if you reply I will not see it for a few days)

BUT...as I asked, are you an existing P&O customer or have a future cruise booked with them?

Sorry.. No future cruise booked and haven't sailed with them, just 5 times going on six with OV. It says I can bring a guest, doesn't say the guest can't be a past PO customer!! :)

Umm, I would say then that p&o are targeting OV passengers with a view to tempting them aboard.....Makes sence with OV leaving the fleet soon.

I did a Artemis ship visit like this a while ago, well worth going if you live within 2-3 hours drive of Southampton...A great day out, the lunch alone is worth the £20, and a great way to see a ship/cruiseline. I would love to do a Cunard ships visit, but they are as rare as hen's teeth.

Click this link for photos of the lunch - 3 course- on the ships visit on Artemis.

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/ArtemisShipVisit30908?authkey=NxbTIyq3gOA#5251855836348512082

I too received this offer from P and O today. Have cruised a number of times with Ocean Village but made no contact at all with P and O.

A shame we don't live closer to Southampton as I'd have quite like to have seen Azura or one of the smaller more traditional ships.

I too received this offer from P and O today. Have cruised a number of times with Ocean Village but made no contact at all with P and O.

A shame we don't live closer to Southampton as I'd have quite like to have seen Azura or one of the smaller more traditional ships.

Why not consider making a weekend away out of it?

When I did a Independence ships visit, I booked a night in a hotel in Poole.

We drove to Southampton (from Bristol) did the all day ships visit with lunch, off ship at 2.30pm, drove the short distance to Poole, checked in had the night in Poole and a nice meal...the next morning went onto Swanage, spend the day there, and drove home...

I've just received "an invitation from P&O Cruises" to spend a day onboard any of the ships with several dates in the forthcoming months for just £20 including lunch although no alcohol as it says they can't serve it whilst in port at Southampton?

Is this usual or as I suspect its Carnival/P&O targetting those who have spent 10s of thousands on OV cruises over the last few years..

I wonder why P&O cannot server alcohol whilst in the port of Southampton yet Celebrity and RCI can?

Maybe it means less waiters which equals less cost.

Cheers

Gerry

I wonder why P&O cannot server alcohol whilst in the port of Southampton yet Celebrity and RCI can?

Maybe it means less waiters which equals less cost.

Cheers

Gerry

The invite says "Our ships are placed in bond whilst they are docked in Southampton and we are therefore unable to serve alcohol during meal times"

I assume on a normal cruise that after you embark you don't have to wait until sailaway to get a drink!!:eek:

Interesting this because I wanted a look around Azura as we are going on her later in the year, I am informed that if you are a P&O customer or if you have a future cruise booked then you can't do this....so do you qualify as a non P&O customer with nothing booked? (if you reply I will not see it for a few days)

My parents always get invites for new ships, they are gold.

The invite says "Our ships are placed in bond whilst they are docked in Southampton and we are therefore unable to serve alcohol during meal times"

I assume on a normal cruise that after you embark you don't have to wait until sailaway to get a drink!!:eek:

Craig, yes but I was comparing apples with apples. I meant when you go to a lunch on RCI or Celeb, you get alcohol as well.

Cheers

Gerry

Yes I agree with Gerry.

I have done 2 ships visits on a small ship ARTEMIS (P&O) and the other end of the scale the massive and then biggest ship at sea - INDEPENDENCE (RCI).

ARTEMIS - Had to pay (£20 each approx) - No alcohol with lunch, but water and Orange juice on offer) No freebies.

INDEPENDENCE - FREE!, Got goodie bags with a throwaway camera in, bottled water, notebooks withc a cruise ship on the front, nice pen, brochures, plus plentyful wine with lunch.

Thats the Americans for you I suppose, have a better promotion budget.:rolleyes:

It's not uncommon, I received about 5 or 6 ship invites last year (only 2 so far this year) but Southampton generally isn't feasible for us. It is possible that they are targetting the OV cruisers ... and why not, it is good marketing sense.

Ken

I wonder why you are getting so many invites? Are you gold? Even if you are, I have read of many goldies not getting any!

• 1 month later...

Just recieved an invitation to a day visit on p&o cruises,

i have choose to visit the ventura, we live near manchester so we are going to make a short break of it, we will stay 2 nights in southampton and 2 nights in bournmouth,

my question is you get a 3 course meal included in the trip but which resteraunt do they serve it in,

so anyone who as any extra information on these day visits i would love to hear from you

thanks

Archived