Tipping-QE2

armobloke

Hi all,

We are going on the QE2 this year and we have been advised to opt out of tipping as this is automatically added to your onboard account at the start of your cruise.This to me does not seem right as the people who look after you don`t have to try as they have already got their tips up front.

I don`t object to tipping as long as you have received good service during your cruise.

Anyway as advised i have opted out on my booking form.

Can anyone advise me if i have done the right thing or not or if anybody else has also done this.

Although we prefer the traditional tipping procedure, gratuities added to onboard accounts does have a plus side. We are fairly generous with our gratuities, most times doubling the suggestive amount. So, if our standard gratuities (which we would give even to the least of services), is automatically added to our onboard account, then we can feel comfortable leaving nothing extra to someone who would take the attitude that they will receive the gratuities without providing superior service. This eventually catches on with the cabin steward and wait staff, so if anything, crew members will try harder to earn the bonus amounts very often given by many passengers. We usually indicate in a non commitive way that a bonus may be forthcoming if service is excellent.

PS everone, I'm not the Chuck referred to in a thread that was removed yesterday that was combative and derogatory towards whoever that Chuck was.

Thanks,

Chuck

I always tip the usual automatic amount but also give my cabin steward a $10 or $20 at the beginning of the cruise. This ensures me excellent service and I think the staff works extremely hard and deserves it. (As I was a waitress in college, I am also sympathetic of service people of all kinds.)

You can also let the cabin attendant and the waiters know that there may be extra at the end, also. I have found these very effective and was careful to follow through when it was warranted.

The service we received was so superior that we tipped considerably more that the recommended amount, which was added to our onboard account. Nothing was too much trouble and no one said 'No' to anything. We gave cash on the last day to at least 5 staff members. I don't think you have to worry about getting bad service no matter what you do!

I think the reason some small amount of money is added to your account for tips is that not every culture has a tradition of tipping, the Brits for one. They are a great people and our best ally in this increasingly weak-spined world, but they generally do not tip much.

I crossed on the QE2 September of 2003. The service I received was excellent. I think the amount they add to your on-board account is laughably small considering the number of people taking care of you and the quality of the service. In addition to the amount added to my account for tips, I sought out and personally tipped the wine steward, cabin steward, and both the kids who waited my table. I did so at the end of the voyage, and in retrospect I wish I had left them more money than I did. (I probably gave them an additional $40.00 to $50.00 dollars each). These people work longer hours than you know, and spend many months away from family and friends. They deserve your consideration when it comes to tipping.

My advice to you is pay the daily rate added to your account and then give appropriate individual tips to those who helped you enjoy your voyage. You won't miss the extra money two days after you get home, and the boost you give to the crew will be appreciated.

Hello All- I am traveling on the QM2 next week- July 22nd, and was wondering how much is already added to my account? I do agree that an additional amount at the end, is a good idea since these people work so hard! If they add the amount to your account, does this cover everyone for the week ( waiter, ass. waiter, room steward, maitre d)? Thanks to all for your help!

In Brittania, US$11 per day per person is added to your on-board account. Slightly more in Grill, but don't recall exact amount, but think US$13/pd/pp.

My understanding is this amount is allocated among both 'front of house' [waiters, stewards, etc] and 'back of house' [dishwashers, cooks, etc] personnel based upon a formula. Bar staff are excluded as they receive an percentage automatic tip [think either 15% or 17%] on the drink price.

JeanneS--TIP used to mean that. But now that it is a direct transfer of labor cost from corporations to cruisers, it means 'To Increase Profit."

Now that's a joke son,...not an invitation to yammer about corporate America and profits.

Archived