Dressing for Bermuda

laodell

What is the "dress code" for Bermuda? Is there an acceptable form of dress for days or nights there? For examble, will shorts and a t-shirt or tank top with flip flops be okay during the days, even in the pubs? We plan on doing some beach things but may want to stop in a pub for lunch. How about in the evenings? What would be considered appropriate dress for the Hamilton street fair?

[quote name='laodell']What is the "dress code" for Bermuda? Is there an acceptable form of dress for days or nights there? For examble, will shorts and a t-shirt or tank top with flip flops be okay during the days, even in the pubs? We plan on doing some beach things but may want to stop in a pub for lunch. How about in the evenings? What would be considered appropriate dress for the Hamilton street fair?[/QUOTE]

Bermuda is a lot more formal per se than other islands.Shorts and t-shirts should be fine for the day in pubs,and shorts and a nice shirt should be fine for the street fair.However,slacks and nice shirts would be fine for dining
in Hamilton other than a pub setting or takeaway as well as shopping.If you are at the beaches,and eating close by you will be fine with a nice cover-up.Enjoy your trip/cruise....:)

If I were you I would shop in the morning when you are docked in Hamilton and then go spend the day at the beach.It is cooler and maybe less crowded. The stores open at 9 am. The stores close early at 5:30 or 6:00 depending,but they do stay open on either Thursday or Friday nights until 9:00.If you are docked in St. George it won't take you long to look around..there are a couple of stores that are not located in Hamilton,but most are.St.George is more casual as well as the Dockyards.At the Dockyards you will find more crafts than stores and the market is a great place to pick up some things native to Bermuda as well as the glassblowing area.You could go with a nice beachcover in either place as well.

We were in Bermuda last week and I saw mainly casual slacks or capris on women and kahki shorts on men during the day while in town. I didn't see much of a difference at night either. Yes, there was the occasional person who wore a tank top and sporty shorts but not too many. Coming and going to the beaches people mainly wore a cover-up and sandels. It was very hot while we were there and people had to dress lightly. It wasn't as strict as I had heard from others. I think the way to dress in Bermuda is neat, not sloppy and you'll be just fine.

The shops in Hamilton also stay open late on Wednesday night(some until 9:30-10) for the street fair and we went back on Thursday night and were practically pushed out of one shop at 5 minutes before closing... It is interesting to see people in shirt and tie and Bermuda shorts :). Bermuda is a more formal island and when we went to the FairmontPrincess, I did put on long pants (and socks)

• 2 months later...
My wife says she is going to buy me a pair of Bermuda Shorts. God only knows the color she will pick out. Green with pink polka dots or something. I already told her I won't wear them out in public. Even though women have told me I have cute legs in the past. And we all know mom's are never wrong.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey Nancy,

She did buy the Bermuda shorts and matching knee socks for me. It has actually improved our love life since we returned home. Whenever I put them on she gets this sinister smile on her face. I gave up trying to figure women out a long time ago.

P.S. The shorts are casual red. Salesman said red and green are the most popular color for the shorts. Bright red being for more formal wear. It's amazing to see men in the mid-50's in their Bermuda shorts with jacket and tie riding a scooter to work.

Archived