Carnival Group Payment Problems.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:07 AM.
Norfolk UK
749 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
I spoke to my bank a couple of times since last Friday when the hold went on. They had no contact at all from anyone at Carnival or anyone else associated with them. I was told that the hold on the account would be removed exactly 7 days after it was placed, at 10pm last night, if Carnival took no action to accelerate it. At 10pm last night the hold went. So much for Carnival processing repayments or helping things along. They just waited for it to go, requiring no action on their part, but inconveniencing customers for longer than necessary.
Staffordshire
1,928 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Rang my bank on Wednesday morning immediately after receiving e-mail from Princess about the problem. They told me £1888 had been taken from my account not put on hold but actually taken. I explained the situation and they said the way to move forward was to "dispute" the payment which I did. HSBC then reimbursed the money until "dispute" sorted, do not know if this is a HSBC policy or for all banks for disputed claims. Immediately afterwards phoned Elavon and told them of the situation and that afternoon the money was returned to my bank account from Elavon and I then phoned HSBC and they removed the disputed credit that they had put in that morning so everything was back to normal.
Chester, UK
1,406 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
I think we are safe to conclude then that Carnival basically did nothing about their problem unless they were pushed to do so. They did what was easiest for them; i.e. do nothing and let everyone else sort it out.
Staffordshire
1,928 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by ToadOfToadHall
I think we are safe to conclude then that Carnival basically did nothing about their problem unless they were pushed to do so. They did what was easiest for them; i.e. do nothing and let everyone else sort it out.
My sentiments entirely and having been in contact with Princess I get the impression that unless you suffered bank/credit charges over this incident, which they are legally obliged to reimburse you they are not interested in anyone else who has suffered.
UK
780 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
We had the money taken off our bank the day before we cruised and refunded just before we returned. We had the e mail about if we had any bank charges to let them know, which we didn't, just loss of interest as we took money out of a savings account to cover and also in case any P & O cruises we had also booked came off. So I guess we won't hear from them again.

Interestingly someone on a Princess cruise at the moment has just been told they will have a gift delivered to their room as a gesture of good will. Interesting to see if and what they get.
Norfolk UK
749 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Just for information. I didn't request compensation as the amount involved wasn't enough to cause us any problems. I did however email Cunard to express my disappointment at the way it was handled and today got an email offering $60 OBC.

It seems to me that anyone writing in, even someone not seeking any refund of expenses incurred, is being offered something, though they clearly aren't consistent in what they offer, looking at other forums.

Ultimately this is likely to cause them more problems than the actual error. if they had simply written to everyone offering a small amount of OBC I'd bet 99% of people would have been perfectly happy and even somewhat impressed with the response. As it is, it will gradually filter around people that some are getting OBC and some aren't.
Staffordshire
1,928 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
We had a 2nd payment taken out of our bank account 2 months after paying the final balance for a Princess cruise. Fortunately we had enough money in account so did not incur bank charges but did cause some problems transferring money to cover direct debits and not being able to use our debit card. Contacted Princess by e-mail as requested by them when it happened and having not had a reply contacted my TA yesterday who contacted Princess. They contacted me within 15 minutes and could not apologise enough for distress and worry caused by the Elavon error and offered us a free AIBP for the duration of the cruise for my wife and I.
Chester, UK
1,406 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by milamber
Just for information. I didn't request compensation as the amount involved wasn't enough to cause us any problems. I did however email Cunard to express my disappointment at the way it was handled and today got an email offering $60 OBC.
Can I ask how long it took them to reply ?
Norfolk UK
749 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by ToadOfToadHall
Can I ask how long it took them to reply ?
Actually, just a few hours amazingly. However, a subsequent email to the same person asking why our friends were offered $130 OBC and us just $60 for the same problem has gone unanswered for 2 days now. In addition we haven't had the promised email confirming the OBC either. I guess the fairly prompt response was an aberration.

I'd guess that they have made a whole heap more work for themselves by the inconsistent response to people, assuming perhaps that social media and cruise forums haven't yet been invented..........
Chester, UK
1,406 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Actually, just a few hours amazingly. However, a subsequent email to the same person asking why our friends were offered $130 OBC and us just $60 for the same problem has gone unanswered for 2 days now. In addition we haven't had the promised email confirming the OBC either. I guess the fairly prompt response was an aberration.

I'd guess that they have made a whole heap more work for themselves by the inconsistent response to people, assuming perhaps that social media and cruise forums haven't yet been invented..........
Can I ask what email address you used ?

I used : [email protected]
Chester, UK
1,406 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
I used [email protected], though it really shouldn't matter
Thank you.

I will give that one a go as well and see what happens then.

I agree with you that it should make no difference. Reading here and the P&O board it does seem quite random in terms of replies and offers that people get.

Thanks again.
Norfolk UK
749 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Still waiting for a response from Customer Services. However, in the meantime I emailed the Chief Executive of Carnival, [email protected] and had a response from someone in his team in just over 24 hours sorting things out to our satisfaction. Might be worth a second email for anyone who hasn't heard back from normal channels.
Chester, UK
1,406 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
I sent an email Sunday evening (so call that Monday morning) and had heard nothing by Wednesday evening, so I sent a second one. I had a reply at around 11:00 AM Thursday morning with an offer of $130 OBC. I then had a modified final account for our up coming cruise showing it had been added.