Cabin Assignment and "Bike and Sail Polynesia"

rickeywray

Good Morning. A question about cabin assignment and a query to find out who else might be signed up for the June 21 Star Flyer sailing.

First, based on reading many postings in the forum, with a category 2 cabin, and being a couple of "landlubbers" on their first sailing ship cruise, we requested a cabin toward the center of the ship for less wave impact, and away from the stern to avoid any engine noise.

We have just been advised that our cabin assignment is # 307, based on our stated location preferences. Any additional input or thoughts? Good, bad, indifferent? Thanks.

Secondly, we are part of an orgainized cycling tour, operated by Pedalers Pub and Grill (funny name, I know, but a highly respected cycling tour orgainizer) that has arranged the package of cycling and sailing. In an earlier post, I traded some emails with one couple going at the same time, and was wondering if anyone else out there reading this is also going. This is our first trip to Tahiti and we will be spending one week in Tahiti and Moorea before starting the cruise.

Best regards, Rickey Wray

Hi Rickey,

This is Lisa from Northern Ca who responded to your post a few months ago - husband Tim and I along with young adult daughters will be on the June 21 sailing as we discussed.

Re cabins - this is our first Star Clippers sail but we long time sailors on Windjammer ships which are similar in size and style. Mid ship is best to avoid some of the rocking....but frankly if the seas are rough you do feel it everywhere. Bonine is the miracle drug ....as I and one daughter do get sick when things get really rough. I usually take one pill before the ship sets sail in the afternoon and then sit back and enjoy the ride. Rocking can be quite fun as long as you aren't sick.

Re #307 - We have been warned about the cabins too close to the dinning room for noise...but 307 is at least a few cabins away. I don't think that engine noise would be much of a problem on Clipper Deck even toward the rear...much more likely in rear on Commodore deck. We are in cabins #340 and 345 toward rear on Clipper - cat 3 & 5...

Looking forward to meeting aboard ship.

We too would love to hear from others on this sailing.

Lisa, Tim, Amy & Kelsey

• 1 month later...

Hi all-

My husband and I will be on the June 21st trip too. We are somewhere in the 300s...I tried to get mid-ship for the rocking purposes. I'm experienced sailor, but I lost my sea legs as I don't go often enough anymore.

I'm getting very excited about the trip! I've been to Tahiti and Moorea before, but I was young and it was 20 years ago. I'm sure a lot has changed.

See you in 6 weeks.

L

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Lisa and Locoroja,

Excited and looking forward to our cruise and meeting all of you, coming up in just a couple of weeks. Hard to believe that it is already here.

Recieved some disappointing news from the bicycle tour organizer today. Due to insufficient numbers signing up (in fact, Mary Kay and I were the only ones who did sign up), they have found it necessary to cancel the cycling tour of the islands while on the cruise. They were shocked given the response they have had in the past. Obviously, they do provide a full refund of the cycling portion of the trip. Guess the economic situation is really have some serious impacts on travel.

They did offer to send us all the "route sheets" and advise that Star Flyer would handle our bicycles to and from the ship, etc., however, we would be on our own while touring the islands.

We will be spending the week before at the Moorea Pearl Resort, and then on Saturday returning to Tahiti, and staying at the Hilton. We were prepared to haul our disassembled bikes around during that time, knowing that the next week we had the services of a professional tour group taking care of the details.

Mary Kay and I talked about it and looked at all the activities offered, hiking, etc., during the cruise, and just decided that there was so much to do and this was a vacation, did we want the stress. While we are disappointed at not getting to cycle, we decided not to bring the bikes.

We will see you in just a couple of weeks. Texas summer is here and looking forward to those ocean breezes.

Rick

Dear Rick, Mary Kay,

We too are excited and starting to get things together for the trip. I am so sorry to hear about your bike rides were canceled and do believe that travel is way down all over. :( I wonder how full the ship will be? Has anyone heard? I think you made a good choice to leave the bikes at home as there are so many things to do plus at least one bike ride offered as you probably saw.

We will be arriving a day early on June 20th and staying at the Radisson near Papeete and then will stay three days at Les Tipaniers on Moorea after the cruise. You will be Moorea experts by then so can let us know what not to miss.

We look forward to meeting you on the ship and Locoroja too.:o We will be the couple (50's) traveling with our two daughters aged 18 & 20.

Safe travels,

Lisa, Tim, Amy and Kelsey

We just finished a back to back from Athens, Greece on the Star Clipper. The SC is the sister ship of the Star Flyer. We were in cabin 330, Starboard side. Cabin 326, 324 are across from the purser's office with lots of activity Also avoid the port side cabins in that location. If possible cabin 332 would be a Cat 3 with a good location and layout. If 328 is not available, try for 336 or the corresponding cabin on the port side of the ship.

Food was good to very good. Service was great. Laundry service was very good and at resonable prices. Collared men's shirt was 3.50 Euros. Undies and socks 50 cents Euro. long pants or jeans 3.50 Euro.s

I washed most of my tops, undies, and our long light weight hiking pants in the sinks. Shower is small, but good water flow. It the shower drain is slow contact engineering. First week the shower was draining slow. The beginning of the second week it did not drain. I contacted engineering; the drain was clean it the shower drained very quickly.

We will definitely plan to sail on a Star Clipper again. Great time.

All for now. One more flight to reach our home airport.

MSEm

MSEm003 at gmail dot com

Archived