San Juan 1 day on cruise 2:30-10PM Easter Saturday. Romantic dinner experience?

Cinderellie

Hello, my new husband and I will only be in San Juan for one day on our honeymoon cruise -- on Easter Saturday -- from 2:30 to 10:00 PM, and we'd like to do something very romantic for a dinner experience... but be sure to get back to the ship in plenty of time.

What would you suggest?

We are in our 50's, he does NOT dance, we do NOT like a lot of walking.

We do love good food, and having a fantastic experience, soaking up the culture of the locals... rather than tourist traps. But we also believe you do not have to spend $100 per person to have a great meal... not that we are cheap. We both travel for business and have "been there done that" with top restaurants with huge price tags... but now prefer native-to-the-area hole-in-the-wall restaurants where the locals go.

But we are not adverse to spending more to have a fantastic experience, such as a sunset cruise or something else I can't get here in shivery New Jersey right now!

Any suggestions? Much obliged!

Hello, my new husband and I will only be in San Juan for one day on our honeymoon cruise -- on Easter Saturday -- from 2:30 to 10:00 PM, and we'd like to do something very romantic for a dinner experience... but be sure to get back to the ship in plenty of time.

What would you suggest?

We do love good food, and having a fantastic experience, soaking up the culture of the locals... rather than tourist traps. But we also believe you do not have to spend $100 per person to have a great meal... not that we are cheap. We both travel for business and have "been there done that" with top restaurants with huge price tags... but now prefer native-to-the-area hole-in-the-wall restaurants where the locals go.

But we are not adverse to spending more to have a fantastic experience, such as a sunset cruise or something else I can't get here in shivery New Jersey right now!

Suggest you look into "Dragonfly". They are part of a group that caters to diners that want something different. At dragonfly the food is a combination of Asian with Latino ingredients. Call 787 506 5000 and ask for Ricki Ocana and he will help and discuss your preference; by the way they have 5 places close to where Royal Caribbean ships dock.

There is another one Marmalade, consider the "best" in San Juan, but they are not accessible so we could not experiment it!

Good luck and enjoy!

Herb :confused: :confused:

What would you suggest?

I can suggest Dragon fly, DW and I had an excellent dinner there. Dragonfly is Walking distance from where Royal Caribbean ships dock. The food is asiatic with Latino ingredients. They are part of an innovative local group that has 4 other restaurants. If interested call

787 506 5000 and ask for Ricki Ocana and he will help you choose amongst them.

There is another called Marmalade, supposedly the best in San Juan, but we did not try it because is not accessible.

All of them have web sites, maybe you can start there.

Good luck and Bon appetite!

Herb :confused::confused:

• 2 weeks later...

My vote is for Budatai for this! It's in the Condado area. The inside is quiet, dark, and romantic. It's upstairs, and off the street, and has a very good menu. We liked it very much... I wrote about it in my review (link below) - in my particular experience I wanted something more lively... but if you're looking for a lovely intimate setting, this could be a good pick for you.

Have fun! :)

On the beach in Condado is Oceano which has great reviews (although not cheap). We tried to go there without a rez though on a Friday night and could not get in. Therefore I can't really recommend except for the location which looked fabulous.

Edited by monicajay