Getting to rum point off the cruiseship

Chickenlover8

Rum Point is about a 45 minute drive from the port. You can get there via water by booking an excursion that includes a stop there, or by renting a car and driving there. One popular company for an excursion is Nativeway. Google or a search in this forum will net you more details.

In the past, we rented a car and drove there. It was an easy (and, actually sort of fun) drive. There are car rental places at the airport and one near the port. We went with one at the airport because it had a "cruise ship" rate. Basically a day rate with all extras included (insurance, driver's permit fee, gas, etc.). I think we paid $85 for a mid-sized. You might find cheaper. Still cheaper than an excursion. We just went with that because I could know what the cost was.

We took our own snorkel equipment and snorkeled. Also took a quick stop at Starfish Point.

On our upcoming cruise, we are going with Nativeways. Travelling with others who want to do the stingrays.

It was worth the trip. And nice to be out on our own after four days of cruise ship and excursions.

• 3 weeks later...
In the past, we rented a car and drove there. It was an easy (and, actually sort of fun) drive. There are car rental places at the airport and one near the port. We went with one at the airport because it had a "cruise ship" rate. Basically a day rate with all extras included (insurance, driver's permit fee, gas, etc.). I think we paid $85 for a mid-sized. You might find cheaper. Still cheaper than an excursion. We just went with that because I could know what the cost was.

We took our own snorkel equipment and snorkeled. Also took a quick stop at Starfish Point.

On our upcoming cruise, we are going with Nativeways. Travelling with others who want to do the stingrays.

It was worth the trip. And nice to be out on our own after four days of cruise ship and excursions.

Would you recommend Rum Point over Starfish Point, looking at booking a trip and have seen them with either of these as the 3rd location ? Thanks

Would you recommend Rum Point over Starfish Point, looking at booking a trip and have seen them with either of these as the 3rd location ? Thanks

Rum Point is a beach club with great facilities. Starfish Point is a vacant beachfront lot with (sometimes) starfish in the water.

If you have to pick one over the other for a single visit, then Rum Point wins without question. But, as a third stop on a trip (I assume the other two are stingrays and snorkel) it could go either way. The starfish point stop is neat, but not really very exciting. Rum Point will have food, drinks, sand, and a view that is hard to beat.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 6 months later...
I’ve read recent reviews stating that Rum Point is smelly and the water is brown. Did you find this to be the case ? Thx!

There was a stretch of time this summer where giant floating masses of sargassum filled the waters around Grand Cayman. Yes, it was brown and stinky. The sargassum has moved on, however, and the water in most areas is nice again.