Just off the Dream 10/1 Sailing!

ElizabethR25

Around 10:30 last night my husband and I disembarked the Dream in new Orleans after a wonderful and somewhat rocky week. It was my first cruise and thanks to this website and message board I felt very prepared. While Hurricane Nate did throw some interesting twists into our journey, over all we still had a lovely time. I look forward to writing an in depth review later on in hopes of helping others. I would be happy to answer any specific questions though in the mean time.

And I have to go ahead and mention how AMAZING our cruise director, Chris the Flying Scotsman, was. He truly made our trip unforgettable!

Hi I’m going on my first cruise in a couple of days october 21 I was just wondering how the security worked did they have just a regular metal detector you walk thru ? Do they have full body scans ? Just wondering thanks I’m not sure what to expect :confused:

I was also on this cruise. We had a great time on the cruise. But all of the "manufactured fun" was not our cup of tea. I can't think of one thing we went to that involved the cruise director. We did spend alot of time at the comedy shows. But that intro information at the shows got old too. By the end of the cruise I had it memorized because he (Ry) said the same thing, word for word, every... single... time...

I am glad the OP had a great time. But as I have stated before I don't understand the fascination with cruise directors. They have no bearing on how we enjoy a cruise.

Hi I’m going on my first cruise in a couple of days october 21 I was just wondering how the security worked did they have just a regular metal detector you walk thru ? Do they have full body scans ? Just wondering thanks I’m not sure what to expect :confused:

It was a regular metal detector. And your bags go through an x-ray machine. I honestly don't know how more contraband does not get through. They hustled us through and barely checked for anything. Most of the people that they told to stop at the next area for a closer inspection just kept walking. It was hilarious.

If anyone had nefarious intent they could easily smuggle contraband/weapons aboard.

Elizabeth, how was the live music? Do you remember the names of any of the groups?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We really did not listen to a lot of the music... I know there was a group called Whiskey and Wine but we never went to hear them. I think my favorite was a group of three string musicians who played in the lobby most of the evenings and I really enjoyed their music. They played a lot of pop songs and there were often couples out on the floor dancing. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of their group... just that it was three men.

I was also on this cruise. We had a great time on the cruise. But all of the "manufactured fun" was not our cup of tea. I can't think of one thing we went to that involved the cruise director. We did spend alot of time at the comedy shows. But that intro information at the shows got old too. By the end of the cruise I had it memorized because he (Ry) said the same thing, word for word, every... single... time...

I am glad the OP had a great time. But as I have stated before I don't understand the fascination with cruise directors. They have no bearing on how we enjoy a cruise.

We went to the Love and Marriage show that Chris hosted as well as his One Man Show (side note: that guy can SING!). I enjoyed watching him host the Lip Sync Battle and the different events out on the Lido deck. I even enjoyed watching the little morning show they did on Sea Days. I would sit in bed while my husband slept a little later and enjoy it with my coffee from room service. At the beginning of our cruise my husband and I literally asked each other what the point was of having a cruise director but by the end we really appreciated how much energy and effort Chris put into to making sure everyone had fun. You could tell Chris really loved his job and was having fun and that fun energy is contagious.

It was a regular metal detector. And your bags go through an x-ray machine. I honestly don't know how more contraband does not get through. They hustled us through and barely checked for anything. Most of the people that they told to stop at the next area for a closer inspection just kept walking. It was hilarious.

If anyone had nefarious intent they could easily smuggle contraband/weapons aboard.

Lol thanks for replying im so excited I can't wait ! (y)