Hiking Mount Pelee

rferrer00

Has anyone hiked Mount Pelee? We'd prefer to hike on our own rather than join a tour, but I'm not sure whether that's possible. Are the trails marked at all (or does someone have a recommendation for a good trail map)? I'm sure we could get a taxi there, but would it be hard to get one back to the pier? Is it possible to hire a car to drive us there and back, without booking a guided tour package? Any information or recommendations greatly appreciated!

• 4 months later...

This cannot be done in 1 day, I was at the bottom of Mt. Pelee about 2 weeks ago. First and foremost what trails are you talking about?? I wouldn't trust anything on that mountain much less some cheesy trail map.

Only way to accomplish this is by staying on the island for about a week finding a guide who's actually has been up there before, is familiar with climbing conditions and the weather patterns. 

I've climbed more than my share of mountains, it's hard telling what you'll run into up there. Climbing Mt. Pelee is a great idea but that's about it. I'm not even sure how you would make your approach on that mountain and I looked too.

I walked as far as I could to the bottom of the mountain and I wasn't close with a pair of flip flops on. Guide or no guide there's no way to go up it in 1 day, 2 days up and 2 days back that's if everything goes like it's suppose to, I dont know about that.

Plus those banana spiders we call them tarantula's don't do much for me, if it's not enough climbing and hacking through a rain forest straight up a mountain, dealing with spiders the size of my hand all the way up and back, Todd exit stage left!!😁

Good luck if you ever climb Mt. Pelee I'm looking forward to hearing about it. Take care Todd

First, we are there for three days pre-cruise. Second, you seem confused, as there are three established trails, the longest of which is 8km round trip. See http://www.montagne-pelee.com/en/Hiking.html. I have no idea whether they are marked, hence my question, but your condescending response is less than helpful. Take care.

Don't take my word for it, go knock yourself out. Trail, marked??

When are you going?? The reason I ask I'm going to be waiting to hear about this,  I'm really looking forward to the pics of the summit, not some trail that goes half way around the mountain and goes nowhere near the summit, I could have done that with my flip flops on. I'm talking about going up past the volcanic fissures none of which has been mapped, and straight up the mountain above the cloud line, can't wait to hear about it!! Sounds wonderful, bring me back one of those banana spiders alive and I'll give you a $100!! Good luck!! Take care dude Todd 

• 1 month later...

Hey Dude listen I took this picture about 2 months ago on Martinique. This pic was taken downtown, looking back to the northwest of Mt. Pelee. The mountain is seasoned killer, it's killed 10's of thousands of people, it's absolutely nothing personal but this mountain not only laughs at human's it's kills them too. Like they're nothing. 

Look closely at the picture, the reason you can't see the summit is because the last 2000 ft. are being inundated in a torrential rain storm, that's a storm up there at about 4500 ft.. Your walking into a nightmare. Same old song and dance, weather at the base of the mountain BEAUTIFUL, start heading up the hillside your done. Walk away. 

20181201_104815.jpg