20s and 30s single cruise in the Caribbean

yellowledbetter

Hi,

I've never gone on a cruise before and was looking to go on this 20s and 30s single cruise in the Carribean in June. Now I've found a couple places where you can sign up for the cruise and both look about the same except for the price. They say that if you sign up with them then you will be entitled to seperate singles activities that other crew members who didn't sign up through them aren't allowed to participate in. So does anyone know if this is true? Or if its just better to book with the cruise line and then I'd save even more money. Also, I'm a 28M who'd be going be myself and just want to meet other people who are just looking to hang out and have fun. So is this the right type of cruise for me? I can post more info if needed as well. Thanks.

Hi,

I've never gone on a cruise before and was looking to go on this 20s and 30s single cruise in the Carribean in June. Now I've found a couple places where you can sign up for the cruise and both look about the same except for the price. They say that if you sign up with them then you will be entitled to seperate singles activities that other crew members who didn't sign up through them aren't allowed to participate in. So does anyone know if this is true? Or if its just better to book with the cruise line and then I'd save even more money. Also, I'm a 28M who'd be going be myself and just want to meet other people who are just looking to hang out and have fun. So is this the right type of cruise for me? I can post more info if needed as well. Thanks.

My understanding is that they do provide activities that others are not allowed to participate in. The only reason that I know this is because the cruise that I'm on in April has people on the roll call who booked through a singles cruise. They were saying that people who didn't book through the singles cruise could actually pay a fee, I believe $200, to be allowed to participate in the activities. You're correct that you could book the cruise directly and save money. I know when I checked on the prices, out of curiosity, they were paying almost double what I paid for the cruise. The one thing that you might consider is that the company may provide the option of finding a roommate for you which reduce your cost. For me, I prefer just to have the room by myself. On Carnival, I always book a 1A cabin because the single supplement is about 150%.

No matter what you choose, have a great cruise!

-Mark

Yes, it is true that the agencies provide activities for the singles that book through them that are not open to other cruisers. Activities include things like cocktail parties with free drinks, dance lessons, games, single-mingle dining (the group has a series of tables in the dining room and you can sit at any of the group's tables with anyone you want, as opposed to traditional cruise dining where you would be at the same table with the same people every night). The agencies also arrange special shore excursions for the group that you can choose to purchase or not.

I've done 5 singles cruises and I've used both of the major agencies -- they both do a good job. My first singles cruise in 2006 was a 20s/30s cruise and it was a blast -- guess that's why I'm going on my 6th singles cruise in April! :) I think a singles cruise is EXACTLY what you're looking for -- give it a try!

Christine

Oh, and one more thing . . . since you've never been on a cruise before, it's nice to go with a group where you have the cruise directors (part of the singles group, not the cruise director for the whole ship) and the veteran cruisers in the group to give you advice and answer questions!

And Mark is correct -- if you want to avoid the single supplement fee, both agencies will try to match you with a roommate -- someone your own gender and usually around your own age. I've found that I'm not in the cabin very often -- just long enough to sleep and shower -- so the roommate isn't a problem.

Christine

sweet, thanks for your advice. so now my only question is, I have found two different singles sites for the same exact cruise, so do you think that means they have two separate groups of activities depending on which site you book it through? cause between the 2 there's a bit of a difference in price but I'd probably pay the difference if the more expensive one was really that much better, haha.

sweet, thanks for your advice. so now my only question is, I have found two different singles sites for the same exact cruise, so do you think that means they have two separate groups of activities depending on which site you book it through? cause between the 2 there's a bit of a difference in price but I'd probably pay the difference if the more expensive one was really that much better, haha.

Yellowledbetter, I don't know which one is better, however my bet is that Christine would prefer the one that also has a cruise on the Triumph departing on April 12.

Hey Christine!

-Mark

Mark, you already know me so well just from chatting on the board! :D

Actually, I like both of the major companies -- don't think they would ever book cruises on the same ship, same time though, so I'm not sure which companies you're looking at, Yellowledbetter (BTW what is your name -- that's a lot to type!! LOL)

Christine

I'm not sure what the ones you're referring to are :( Theres basically 2 that I found with the same exact itinerary but totally different price, same cruise line and everything. I don't think it will let me post the names since I tried posting earlier and don't see the post here anymore, haha. :p

--Brian

Hmmmm, I'm fairly new to cruise critic and I don't know all the rules -- am I allowed to post my e-mail address so Brian and I can talk "offline"? Or is there a way to send a private message? Does anyone know? Thanks :confused:

Christine

Yeah, after I posted that, I poked around and saw that it's against the CC rules . . . I was going to tell you to just google "singles cruise" and the two companies I'm talking about will come up. Those are the only two that I have any personal experience with.

Christine

Yeah, after I posted that, I poked around and saw that it's against the CC rules . . . I was going to tell you to just google "singles cruise" and the two companies I'm talking about will come up. Those are the only two that I have any personal experience with.

Christine

Christine, I believe that you're allowed to enter contact information in your profile that other CC members could view. I just tested it on my profile and it appears that my email and IM are available. It seems to be a way to be able to talk with other members privately.

Just a thought.

-Mark

Per FAQ:

What Is Private Messaging?

We have this feature disabled at this time

Can I Send E-mail To Other Members?

No, we have this feature disabled. If you would like members to e-mail you, please include your e-mail address in your signature. To edit your signature, click USER CP > Edit Signature. To avoid spammers sending unwanted email to you, it is suggested that you type your email address as follows: yourname at domain dot com

Please note, in the newer FAQ sections added with the last system update, you will find references to certain options or features not in use at this time.

If you and another member have your own registered identities for certain instant messaging networks and have placed the info in your profiles, you will be able to contact each other via instant messages.

Click on User CP or Quick Links then Edit Your Details. Scroll down to the Optional Information - All information will be viewable by other forum members section. You will see the following:

Instant Messaging

You may enter your registered identity for the instant messaging networks if you would like other visitors to be able to contact you using that medium.

ICQ Number im_icq.gif

AIM Screen Name im_aim.gif

MSN Messenger Handle im_msn.gif

Yahoo! Messenger Handle im_yahoo.gif

Skype Name im_skype.gif

Once you have entered your registered identity and click the Save Changes button, your network logo will appear in the upper right corner of all your posts under your join date & post count. You and other Cruise Critic members with the same instant messenger network will be able to click the logos appearing on your posts to contact each other. There will be other instructions appearing when you do so.

BTW, the names, web sites, etc. of travel agents/agencies or other cruise-related sites or message boards --- even if "masked" --- are not allowed in Cruise Critic message board posts per the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free membership. Posts asking for the name, site or further information via e-mail, or posts offering same, will be removed as well as any replies to the deleted posts.

As stated before in this thread, try going to www.google.com and typing in "single cruises". Anyone will find many of the agencies their fellow Cruise Critic members would recommend, give feedback, etc. if they could.

Please note the title description of this forum toward the top of the page: Singles Cruises Which cruise line offers the most for single cruisers? Solo cruisers?

It says line, not agent, agency, or other cruise-related site or message board.

Also per FAQ:

My posting was removed? How do I find out why?

If you have a question regarding the removal of a post or a discussion, please contact our Community Manager by clicking on the Contact Us link located on all pages of the forums. Questions posted on the forums regarding removals will not be addressed and will be removed.

I hope this information will be helpful!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Christine, What type of activties do they have?

Brian, It's always better to book with a group so you can join in on all the activties. The last cruise I went on I was with a group and we had private events that the other passengers weren't allowed to join.

I need to look into these cruises soon. They sound like something I might enjoy. :)

Christine, What type of activties do they have?

Brian, It's always better to book with a group so you can join in on all the activties. The last cruise I went on I was with a group and we had private events that the other passengers weren't allowed to join.

I need to look into these cruises soon. They sound like something I might enjoy. :)

The singles cruises that I've been on included activites such as open-bar cocktail parties (not open to other cruise passengers), games like Battle of the Sexes (always popular!) and Pictionary, dance lessons, speed meeting, lock & key games, singles bingo (where you find out things about your fellow singles cruisers) and one of the best features, single-mingle dining. The singles group books a bunch of tables in the dining room and you can sit at any of the group tables with anyone you want, instead of eating at the same table with the same people every night, like on a traditional cruise. The singles group also organize their own shore excursions (at an additional cost) so you're not sharing the excursion with couples and families.

I think the other big benefit of going with one of the organized singles cruises is that they offer to match you up with a roommate (same gender and about the same age), which saves you from having to pay the 150-200 percent single surcharge that the cruise line charges.

Christine

Per FAQ:

What Is Private Messaging?

We have this feature disabled at this time

Can I Send E-mail To Other Members?

No' date=' we have this feature disabled. If you would like members to e-mail you, please include your e-mail address in your signature. To edit your signature, click USER CP > Edit Signature. To avoid spammers sending unwanted email to you, it is suggested that you type your email address as follows: yourname at domain dot com[/i']

Please note, in the newer FAQ sections added with the last system update, you will find references to certain options or features not in use at this time.

If you and another member have your own registered identities for certain instant messaging networks and have placed the info in your profiles, you will be able to contact each other via instant messages.

Click on User CP or Quick Links then Edit Your Details. Scroll down to the Optional Information - All information will be viewable by other forum members section. You will see the following:

Instant Messaging

You may enter your registered identity for the instant messaging networks if you would like other visitors to be able to contact you using that medium.

ICQ Number im_icq.gif

AIM Screen Name im_aim.gif

MSN Messenger Handle im_msn.gif

Yahoo! Messenger Handle im_yahoo.gif

Skype Name im_skype.gif

Once you have entered your registered identity and click the Save Changes button, your network logo will appear in the upper right corner of all your posts under your join date & post count. You and other Cruise Critic members with the same instant messenger network will be able to click the logos appearing on your posts to contact each other. There will be other instructions appearing when you do so.

BTW, the names, web sites, etc. of travel agents/agencies or other cruise-related sites or message boards --- even if "masked" --- are not allowed in Cruise Critic message board posts per the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free membership. Posts asking for the name, site or further information via e-mail, or posts offering same, will be removed as well as any replies to the deleted posts.

As stated before in this thread, try going to www.google.com and typing in "single cruises". Anyone will find many of the agencies their fellow Cruise Critic members would recommend, give feedback, etc. if they could.

Please note the title description of this forum toward the top of the page: Singles Cruises Which cruise line offers the most for single cruisers? Solo cruisers?

It says line, not agent, agency, or other cruise-related site or message board.

Also per FAQ:

My posting was removed? How do I find out why?

If you have a question regarding the removal of a post or a discussion, please contact our Community Manager by clicking on the Contact Us link located on all pages of the forums. Questions posted on the forums regarding removals will not be addressed and will be removed.

I hope this information will be helpful!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Host Kat, thanks for the information.

Thanks everyone for all your helpful info!!

I'm definitely planning on going on one sometime soon, although the one I was thinking about may be too late in the game to book. But we will see.

Thanks again!!

If you think it's too late for the agency or cruise line, probably not. The cruise industry is struggling a bit this year and ships are sailing not 100% full so I'm sure you could book a cruise probably right up to the day of embarkation (although I have to confess I've never done that! :p). Now, whether you can find airfare is another story!! :D

Also, don't think that you can only go on a 20s/30s cruise . . . I've been on two 20s/30s cruises and three "regular" cruises . . . the age range isn't all that different. The 20s/30s cruises tend to have a few more 30s than 20s (most people in their early 20s can't afford cruises, I suspect) and the "regular" cruises tend to have the majority of the people in their 30s/40s. The youngest person I've met on a singles cruise was 22, and the oldest was 85 (she was adorable!)

Christine

Thanks everyone for all your helpful info!!

I'm definitely planning on going on one sometime soon, although the one I was thinking about may be too late in the game to book. But we will see.

Thanks again!!

Brian, The only time that it's too late to book is when the ship is full so don't give up hope on the sailing if you want to go. I've actually booked a cruise 4 days before embarkment. Both cruises were out of NY so it was only a train ride away and didn't have to worry about airfare. Like Christine was saying, the only problem booking to close to a cruise is the airfare. I normally will pick a cruise and than check airfare prices. Than while I'm on the phone with my PVP, I book the airfare as he's booking the cruise.

-Mark

The singles cruises that I've been on included activites such as open-bar cocktail parties (not open to other cruise passengers), games like Battle of the Sexes (always popular!) and Pictionary, dance lessons, speed meeting, lock & key games, singles bingo (where you find out things about your fellow singles cruisers) and one of the best features, single-mingle dining. The singles group books a bunch of tables in the dining room and you can sit at any of the group tables with anyone you want, instead of eating at the same table with the same people every night, like on a traditional cruise. The singles group also organize their own shore excursions (at an additional cost) so you're not sharing the excursion with couples and families.

I think the other big benefit of going with one of the organized singles cruises is that they offer to match you up with a roommate (same gender and about the same age), which saves you from having to pay the 150-200 percent single surcharge that the cruise line charges.

Christine

Thanks Christine for the wonderful info. I'm booked on one in May to the mexican riviera. I was a bit worried about the activities, but this sounds like alot of fun.

``Shahla

Yes we will, Nycole! I'm debating between the Halloween cruise and the after-Thanksgiving cruise this year -- I like the ports better on the Halloween cruise, but I'm not fond of the huge crowd. And the weather has been pretty bad for the past two Halloween cruises from what I understand. I was on the Halloween cruise in 2007 and the ship was rocking so much, the water was sloshing out of the pools! The ATC has a smaller crowd and generally better weather -- decisions, decisions!!

Christine

Archived