World Health Organization- May1st. -

FishermanJim

1 May 2009 -- WHO is not recommending travel restrictions related to the outbreak of the influenza A(H1N1) virus. Today, international travel moves rapidly, with large numbers of individuals visiting various parts of the world. Limiting travel and imposing travel restrictions would have very little effect on stopping the virus from spreading, but would be highly disruptive to the global community.

MORE...

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/guidance/public_health/travel_advice/en/index.html

• 2 weeks later...

"The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now says only 10 percent of infected Americans picked up the virus in Mexico, not one-third as previously estimated. But it maintains its warning against nonessential travel to Mexico.

Michael Crye, vice president of technology and regulatory affairs for the Cruise Lines International Association, called that restriction damaging and unnecessary, because areas hit hardest by the flu's spread are inland and the flu season is almost over."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30664394/

Florida: 53 Cases of Swine Flu

Texas: 108 Cases of Swine Flu

Cozumel: 0 Cases of Swine Flu

Costa Maya: 0 Cases of Swine Flu

Playa del Carmen/Calica: 0 Cases of Swine Flu

USA: 2,532 Cases of Swine Flu

Mexico: 1,626 Cases of Swine Flu

The US Center for Disease Control holds all the keys to Mexico Ports. According to press releases by Carnival, they are obligated to follow the CDC recommendations or their passenger insurance becomes void, understandably a risk they cannot take. This is the reason they do not even enter Mexican territorial waters, but travel to Cayman and Jamaica via International waters, a costly and long journey for the lines. Additionally it causes the lines to increase the meal offerings and entertainment aboard ship, so it’s quite expensive for them.

Over 2000 cases in the USA and it’s on the rise; a few hundred cases in Mexico and on a decline, but the CDC allows Americans to travel anywhere not knowing when and who they can infect, but restricts Americans from traveling to Mexico. They make no restrictions of this nature on other countries experiencing increased cases either, so there seems to be lopsided politics involved... at least from the outside looking in.

The US Center for Disease Control holds all the keys to Mexico Ports. According to press releases by Carnival, they are obligated to follow the CDC recommendations or their passenger insurance becomes void, understandably a risk they cannot take. This is the reason they do not even enter Mexican territorial waters, but travel to Cayman and Jamaica via International waters, a costly and long journey for the lines. Additionally it causes the lines to increase the meal offerings and entertainment aboard ship, so it’s quite expensive for them.

Over 2000 cases in the USA and it’s on the rise; a few hundred cases in Mexico and on a decline, but the CDC allows Americans to travel anywhere not knowing when and who they can infect, but restricts Americans from traveling to Mexico. They make no restrictions of this nature on other countries experiencing increased cases either, so there seems to be lopsided politics involved... at least from the outside looking in.

The numbers quoted by both the CDC and WHO:

US: 2532; 3 dead

Mexico: 1626; 48 dead

It does, indeed, appear that the H1N1 is on the decline in Mexico and isn't spreading anywhere near as rapidly as a 'normal' flu that we encounter during flu season.

Perhaps this is the result of increased caution on the part of people or perhaps it's because this strain of flu simply isn't as virulent as others... I don't know... but it does seem that the worst is over with the numbers of reported cases dropping daily.

Given that there's a significant lag in the verified cases vs. the suspected cases the number of active infections may well be far lower that we currently believe...

Do you think most of the lines would reschedule to the original itinerary of the cruise or keep it till mid-June as already planned? I know the folks in Mexico that rely on tourism as a source of income are hurting and the sooner cruise ships resume port calls the better!

I agree with Sandra... "ZERO" cases in Coz and can't travel there. There is NO RESTRICTION in visiting US cities where they have had multiple cases. Seems like other countries would want to keep more Americans out of their countries, BUT economics reins supreme and that would would be too much of a dent in the global economy, except in Mexico! Just doesn't make sense!

Jacquelyn :D

OK I'm all riled up, I want to get a zillion signatures and send the petition to the CDC!!

Will you help me?

http://www.petitiononline.com/freecoz/petition.html

Thanks!

Viva Cozumel!!!

This was posted on Trip Advisor, a creation of Antonio Madrazo who deserves congratulations for a fantastic idea!

Signed! You should make this a separate post so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. Great petition, Antonio!

I'll sign the petition, and hope cruise lines consider suing the CDC/government for ruining their businesses. Since flu has been found now in Alaska and the Caribbean as well as in Mexico, and flu has traveled around the entire world, shall all cruise ships, planes and hotels, etc., shut down for the approximately two years CDC has claimed it will take to know the severity of this supposed scourage? Ridiculous!!!!

OK I'm all riled up, I want to get a zillion signatures and send the petition to the CDC!!

Will you help me?

http://www.petitiononline.com/freecoz/petition.html

Thanks!

Viva Cozumel!!!

This was posted on Trip Advisor, a creation of Antonio Madrazo who deserves congratulations for a fantastic idea!

Archived