Discovery and safety issues

Jade13

While researching Antarctic cruises and ships I was looking into Discovery because the prices are good but of course only include a "guaranteed" two landings (better than none for those who want to do this and do not have motility issues).

I found some negative comments. Granted they are from TA's etc who are not selling the trips, but some of the people I have "spoken" to via e-mail (having been expedition leaders in the region) do have very valid points. I wanted to share them because a safety concern is diff than someone saying a ship hires bad crew, bad leaders, has bad food, etc.

Comments I received included the following:

"I feel it is not safe enough...no ice class whatsoever, an old ship...ex-LoveBoat,

.... with way too many people on the ship"

"I think it is a huge safety factor, and it could be one of the huge non-ice class ships that will create a possible Antarctic incident."

This really concerns me and I wanted to pass it along, while I continue to look at all options. Discovery does have some great itineraries I want to look into them for the future including Peru and Easter Island but perhaps not the best way to go through Antarctica.

Any Comments?

there are excellent and informative blogs and reviews in various places on this site and elsewhere e.g. http://www.maritimematters.com/discovery-blog1.html and go through each of the blogs 1 - 5

regularly sold out sailings probably say a lot as well

I have read the blogs and they are good, but that does nothing to answer the issues regarding safety if this ship was not to be in Antartica....

The sold out sailings are because the cost is one third of others, that is why we are looking into Discovery.

I have read the blogs and they are good, but that does nothing to answer the issues regarding safety if this ship was not to be in Antartica....

The sold out sailings are because the cost is one third of others, that is why we are looking into Discovery.

I meant to say that the ship was not "built specifically for Antartica". I know most of the vessels there are built specifically for the area with special hulls.

Hi Jade13, thanks for bringing up a valid point. I was looking at Discovery as well simply because of the cost factor but what price shall I put on my safety? Please post back with anything else you find out!

Hi Jade13, thanks for bringing up a valid point. I was looking at Discovery as well simply because of the cost factor but what price shall I put on my safety? Please post back with anything else you find out!

Hi, I just read the review right on CC. It carries 550 passengers in Antartica which is really a lot.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=304

"Discovery carries four or five times more passengers than many other excursion ships, but this doesn't tell the whole story. Discovery has a passenger capacity of more than 800, but the line says it never carries more than 650, and in Antarctica voluntarily limits the count to only 550. Further, the Ecuadorian government allows only 500 passengers when it visits the Galapagos."

More important:

”The ship does not have a Swedish Finnish Ice Rating, which seems an odd choice for a vessel that does a whole season in Antarctica, and because of its unsuitability in ice-infested waters, we had to adjust our itinerary at the southernmost part of our journey.”

As a solo cruiser, for about $8,000 less than other lines I'm willing to risk it! They have no single supplement. I'll buy good trip insurance.

Well, that's a good reason. I am surprised that some lines and well known tour companies sell policy's with only 50K Med Evac. Is that actually enough to get out of there in a medical emergency? Other tour groups tell you to get 100K Med Evac.

It's too bad the Clipper Adventurer only has twin beds as it looks like one of the nicer small ships in the area and prices seem better than others. But it's one trip I know my stepdaughter would not even go with us so would want a bigger bed than a twin.

As far as Mass Market lines for other areas, a lot of people say HAL has the best single supp rates.

As a solo cruiser, for about $8,000 less than other lines I'm willing to risk it! They have no single supplement. I'll buy good trip insurance.

Cruise Is Good,

This is one of the reasons I booked on Discovery. Single cabins cost were prohibitive on NCV and some of the other smaller ships.

My trip insurance actually has $1 Million coverage for emergency evacuation, and an additional $100,000 for medical expenses. It is through Global Alert.

Cruise Is Good,

This is one of the reasons I booked on Discovery. Single cabins cost were prohibitive on NCV and some of the other smaller ships.

My trip insurance actually has $1 Million coverage for emergency evacuation, and an additional $100,000 for medical expenses. It is through Global Alert.

Has anyone heard the actual cost of emergency Med Evac could be? I was really surprised to read two that were only 50K. I think they are what Regent and A&K are offering and I can't imagine it would be enough to get someone from the South Shetlands or anywhere in the middle of the Antartic and back to a good medical facility. Sometimes I have used the cruiselines insurance for other reasons (HAL gives 90% back in cash if you cancel for ny reason 24 hours out) but this seems like one place you need to do some research.

It's too bad the Clipper Adventurer only has twin beds as it looks like one of the nicer small ships in the area and prices seem better than others. But it's one trip I know my stepdaughter would not even go with us so would want a bigger bed than a twin.

quote]

Hmm what prices did you find for the Clipper Adventurer, Jade? And can you tell me which agent or website you found it at? I'm superkeen on booking a trip for the 08/09 season and found a great package price on the Nordnorge from old posts on these boards but they haven't yet got access to the 08/09 trips and I don't want to miss out if they don't ever get them.

quote]

Hmm what prices did you find for the Clipper Adventurer, Jade? And can you tell me which agent or website you found it at? I'm superkeen on booking a trip for the 08/09 season and found a great package price on the Nordnorge from old posts on these boards but they haven't yet got access to the 08/09 trips and I don't want to miss out if they don't ever get them.

Past prices were lower on the Clipper as it is not considered "luxury" although the pics I saw of the cabins actually looked nicer than the Explorer II/Minerva (in the lower cabin categories). I see the Nordnorge is owned by the same company as the MS Fram but didn't see any cruises for 2009 (perhaps because they are longer ones and I am looking for shorter ones).

Insurance can probably be discussed elsewhere. quote]

I would think the Antarctic board would be the best place to discuss Medical Evacuation (not the cruise lines fault). But you are right it should be a new thread. If you go through a tour operator it is generally the one place they require that you get the coverage.

It would be great if we could get feedback on how many times these ships actually let guests off the ship in Antarctica.

It occurred to me that this is essentially the same route Princess and HAL take (also not ice fortified that I know of) except Discovery lets you off. If they don't it's not going to crush me, since the rate I got for a solo is fantastic so I booked it! Talk about last minute travel. I'm leaving in a month.

CruiseIsGood,

I hope that you have a fantastic time! Please post when you return to let us know about your experiences. Since I also am going solo, I would appreciate also hearing about the solo experience on this ship. I understand they have a "drinks reception" early in the cruise for all those sailing solo.

It occurred to me that this is essentially the same route Princess and HAL take (also not ice fortified that I know of) except Discovery lets you off. If they don't it's not going to crush me, since the rate I got for a solo is fantastic so I booked it! Talk about last minute travel. I'm leaving in a month.

Wow! Please write a review when you get back.

Archived