Bus to Southhampton question

envy4u

I assume you mean https://www.nationalexpress.com/en coach. Coaches run from Victoria coach station (about 300yds down the road from Victoria railway station) direct to Southampton (note spelling). Coaches also run from all the terminals at Heathrow and Gatwick to Southampton, if that helps. Should be about £15pp (or cheaper) and trip takes around 2 1/2 hrs. The coaches are comfortable, usually have a loo onboard and the driver will stow your luggage for you in the hold. I've used them several times.

Simon

Given you can book the train for less than £10, the coach isn't much cheaper.

Which train are you talking about for 10

£? When I looked on the website it was more like 20 £ to get there and 12 £ return.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Given you can book the train for less than £10, the coach isn't much cheaper.

As far as I can tell, the best price, booked a month ahead is between £23 and £35. The days of the really cheap Megabus fares are long gone.

There's no Megabus route to Southampton, and now no Megatrain tickets on that route either.

But there's still cheap travel :)

All direct journeys (no changes) except where noted............

By train London Waterloo to Southampton central from £19.10 (vice-versa from £9) advance booked from about 6 weeks out, valid only for the train time that you book. Walk-up fare £41.80. Journey time about 90 minutes

By train London Victoria to Southampton from £8.50 (vice-versa from £5), same advance terms. Walk-up fare over £40. Journey time about 2.5 hrs.

By train Gatwick to Southampton from £5, same advance terms. Walk-up £35.40 (no direct service sundays). Journey time about 2 hours

By train Heathrow to Southampton involves a Railair bus to Woking mainline then train. A pain, over 2 hrs and total cost something over £35 (RailAir not available from the website)

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

By Nat Express coach (bus) from London Victoria coach station to Southampton coach station from £5. Journey time about 2 hrs 15 mins

From Heathrow airport £16 to £20, Journey time about 2 hrs

From Gatwick £12 to £18. Journey time about 3 hrs.

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

JB :)

I’ve taken JBs advice and have done both the train and bus to Southampton. I prefer the bus because of the luggage storage on it. I will be taking the bus again in a few weeks. This time I reserved the front seats for 7£ to check out the drive to Southampton.

I assume you mean https://www.nationalexpress.com/en coach. Coaches run from Victoria coach station (about 300yds down the road from Victoria railway station) direct to Southampton (note spelling). Coaches also run from all the terminals at Heathrow and Gatwick to Southampton, if that helps. Should be about £15pp (or cheaper) and trip takes around 2 1/2 hrs. The coaches are comfortable, usually have a loo onboard and the driver will stow your luggage for you in the hold. I've used them several times.

Simon

Simon, if we take the coach from Victoria Coach Station to Southampton, is the drop off point in Southampton close to the cruise port where we could possibly walk to it? Thank you for your reply. jbainto@yahoo.com

Depends. If you are going from City cruise terminal ( usually RCI, Celeb and NCL), it would take about 15 mins...on the flat, pedestrian crossings on main roads. Any other terminal, I’d probably grab a cab. About £7 and there will be cabs at the coach station. If you go on google earth and search for the coach station, you basically just head south to City cruise terminal.

Simon

Simon, if we take the coach from Victoria Coach Station to Southampton, is the drop off point in Southampton close to the cruise port where we could possibly walk to it? Thank you for your reply. jbainto@yahoo.com

Celebrity Silhouette ?

City cruise terminal.

As Simon's post it's about a 15 minute walk.

https://goo.gl/maps/EziPodbgcXt

(but avoid the dog-leg at the end by cutting through the parking lot of the Holiday Inn)

Our November weather might dissuade you, so a taxi is about 3 minutes, about £6.

Which train are you talking about for 10

£? When I looked on the website it was more like 20 £ to get there and 12 £ return.

Waterloo to Southampton booked 12 weeks out when the tickets are released start from £9.10 for an Advance (fixed time) ticket.

• 2 weeks later...
if we purchase a non-refundable and amendable ticket on National Express from Heathrow to Southampton, if you need to change the time on the ticket the day of travel due to delays going thru customs, is that allowed?

Yes :)

It's a concession only for coach bookings from airports. They are aware of the potential delays in flight arrivals and airport formalities.

But no such concession for instance for journeys from central London or Southampton, or journeys TO airports