Cozumel or Roatan for More Active Excursion

ChanceandAndy

We are going on a cruise in about a month to both Cozumel & Roatan. Which port is better to just relax on the beach and possibly snorkel? Which one is better to do an activity (sight seeing or adventure)? We are already going to the ruins in Belize on the same trip.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Kim

Personally I would snorkel in Belize with a cruise ship tour. I say that because of logistics getting to good snorkel places. Caulker Cay I think it is called is beautiful but getting there can be tricky on your own. Belize people aren’t real big on watches. [emoji13]

Roatan really isn’t much but if you’re going on CCL branded ships they have their own private area in Mahogany Bay. It’s nothing real fancy but quiet, manmade beach and lots of palm trees. Sun if u want it, shade if u don’t.

Coz is not really a good snorkel place unless you get a tour that goes out to Palancar Reef and my last experience with that was it was very choppy. If you’re without kids I highly recommend Cozumel BarHop. I’ve done it twice and will do again. They’re on trip advisor and have their own website. They take you to the “wild” side....that is the east side. Unspoiled and beautiful. A few small drinking/eating places and beautiful surroundings. IMG_4710.thumb.jpg.80050a02c404d8035a590992cb803414.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMG_4678.thumb.jpg.f247d5631d1b57546623c9daad17ffb5.jpg

IMG_4704.thumb.jpg.88c057257c398d28677af8914d08d341.jpg

In 2013 we snorkeled off of the beach at West Bay. We found a boat that was willing to take us a little ways off the beach for an hour. It was absolutely beautiful and the kids loved it. In 2016 we were excited to go snorkeling in Cozumel. We did a carnival excursion (the cheap one that was like $60). It was horrible. The water was choppy, masks didn’t work, tour guides were crappy, beach bottom was all rock. Just wasn’t a pleasant experience. We are going on our 3rd cruise in June to Roatan again and plan on snorkeling there and in Belize.

We are going on a cruise in about a month to both Cozumel & Roatan. Which port is better to just relax on the beach and possibly snorkel? Which one is better to do an activity (sight seeing or adventure)? We are already going to the ruins in Belize on the same trip.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Kim

We like the Money Bar in Cozumel for a nice relaxing day. There is decent snorkeling and the rent equipment. It’s not an actual sandy beach, but has loungers, good food and drinks and is an easy cab ride from the piers. No problem getting a return cab either, just let them know.

Roatan is great for activities and sightseeing. Zip lines, snorkeling, Iguana, Monkey and Sloth sanctuaries, and more. There are several tour operators that offer personalized tours where you can pick any or all of the activities listed. Checkout this board or TripAdvisor for options and reviews.