Why So Many Unenthusiastic Reviews for Ovation of the Seas?

I am so glad to see this thread. We are booked on Ovation in October Tainjin to Singapore and when I read the reviews, the ones where the ship is in Asia are dreadful and the ones where it's in Australia, are wonderful. It's almost funny. Luckily we've been on over 20 cruises and while some are better than others, we've never been on a bad one. We booked this one when we were on the Explorer from Sydney last year and it seemed like a good deal for a GS so worst case, we hang out on the balcony and get room service when we aren't in port! I was disappointed that the two Philippines stops were replaced with three Vietnam stops but hey, maybe that'll be better? BU I am thankful for this wealth of information as to why it gets a bad rap.

We'll have a great time none the less, we'll get to see the great wall and are staying at the Marina Bay Sands in Singapore, I am excited.

Another Aussie here, we did a 5 nights cruise back in March Sydney - Hobart, Tas - Sydney. For us, the ship was amazing -technology wise and the overall size, so was worth doing one cruise on her just for the experience. However, the food was a major let down. Much prefer the regular MDR setup. Windjammer was also a let down in terms of the food offered. Lots of food geared towards the Asians, even when sailing out of Australia. Having said that, we were pleased to have been able to experience Ovation but wont be booking another cruise on her.

• 1 month later...

We sailed on Ovation from Sydney to Singapore this year and could not fault the ship, the service, the food or the fellow passengers. There was so much to do if you wanted to or you could easily find a quiet spot for a drink, read or chat. We have been on both large and smaller ships from different cruise companies and would have to say that Ovation is now our favourite and have consequently booked a cruise on her to New Zealand next year. The ship and cruise is what you make of it and if you board worried about what to expect you may only see the negatives!

I think there are two major factors playing into the current reviews of the Ovation.

1) There is certainly a cultural element running through many of the negative reviews. I notice a big difference between the reviews written while the ship is doing the Australian itinerary versus the Chinese itinerary. It does seem that a number of people from Austalia and the UK struggle with the cultural differences of having a large Chinese majority of passengers. Many of the previous posters have responded to that.

2) It does seem that RCCL does have some potential staffing issues on the ship as well. There is a theme going through the reviews no matter which itinerary the ship is on addressing the attitude of the staff and the inconsistent quality of the food. I hope that RCCL is listening and addresses those items before the ship repositions to cruise Alaska.

I am also booked for a July 2019 Alaskan cruise and believe that we will have a good time, and think the themes in the reviews will start to change. In any case, it's Alaska, and the ship is beautiful.