Wonderful Cenotes!! Review

First off I want to say Thank you to William Lawson for a fantastic time in Progreso. I contacted him after reading about the Cenotes here on the boards.

He was so quick to answer questions and really put us at ease when my family (group of 11) were worried about being so far from the port.

I was not disappointed when we arrived in Progreso we were picked up by our driver and Ralph and away we went. On our way to the Cenotes we were given information about some of the sites and were able to ask a TON of questions!! The ride was comfortable in a very nice air conditioned van. We never had to worry about anything it was all taken care of for us.

We arrived at the first Cenote after being on the "Trucks" and were amazed. It was so breathtaking. Some of us jumped off the wooden platform into the water and others took the stairs down to a little plat formed rock that you could easily get into the water from. The water was crystal clear and is something everyone should go to see. After the first Cenote we had some fresh local mangos (I had never had mangos before) they were wonderful and were sold right outside the opening for the first Cenote (No worries though you were pressured to buy anything it was just a couple of local woman sitting at a table selling a couple of snacks).

The second Cenote was a little harder to get into unless you wanted to jump from the wooden platform because the rocks were steeper and you had to use a rope to hang onto to get down into the water, but there was a place for anyone to sit and hangout if they didn't feel comfortable doing this one. It was just as beautiful as the first!!

We only had time for 2 of the Cenotes (because we got off the boat late this was my fault) but we were happy as can be and I'm not sure that I would have done the 3rd one anyways since you can only get to it by climbing a rope later down the side of a rock (call me chicken LOL).

I joked with Ralph because he was everywhere!! Every time anyone was getting out of the water he was there with his hand out to help. We felt very safe and he communicated with all the locals for us. We also didn't have to worry about the time at all because Ralph and his driver knew exactly when we needed to leave to be back on the boat in time.

I will let everyone know that my 6 year old was very scared of swimming in the water (I think because you could see so far down) she didn't get in the water much, but my 4 year old niece was swimming away (they both had life jackets which were provided).

The whole group said this was the best excursion we have ever taken! This was our 4th cruise and to get an idea we have swam with the stingrays twice in grand Caymans, walked the falls in Ocho Rios and been to some wonderful beach clubs in Cozumel. But this by far was a wonderful experience.

We also wanted to let everyone know that we were safe!! We heard all kinds of things before we went like don't get off the ship or that it was unsafe, but there wasn't one second when we felt unsafe it was wonderful.

I hope that everyone will contact William Lawson to see what tours he has to offer while you are in Progreso. I know we are planning another trip and Progreso will be a stop on our next cruise just so that we can do it all over again.

Thank you Ralph!!

The first picture is of my 6 year old on the ride back to the port. The sucker in her mouth is one that Ralph gave her it was a caramel like sucker and she loved them I'll bet she ate 6!!

2012-05-21_14-29-21_351.jpg.73d5a2831c36aa589ee8abcfeadaace1.jpg

Sorry everyone that should be that we were not pressured to buy anything!

The water was crystal clear and is something everyone should go to see. After the first Cenote we had some fresh local mangos (I had never had mangos before) they were wonderful and were sold right outside the opening for the first Cenote (No worries though you were not pressured to buy anything it was just a couple of local woman sitting at a table selling a couple of snacks).

• 3 weeks later...

Yes Bill of course here is his email lawsonsyucatan@gmail.com

Also you can get some great information here! lawsonsdriving.blogspot.com

I believe the cost is different depending on how many people and what exactly your wanting to do. He is very good about emailing so if you email him what you would like he will get back to you quick :)

I'm jelous that you are getting to start the process and its over for me, but I now have some great memories!!

Thanks for the review. The cenotes that you visited, were they the cozuma cenotes, about 1 1/2 hours away? And was that pretty much all you had time for? We would like to visit these cenotes definitely, but we would also like to at least see some ruins and just wondering about time. Also I didn't see anything about meals and was wondering if y'all just snacked or did you stop to eat anywhere. Don't need anything fancy. It is first cruise for our large group of mostly family about 27 of us. Some though are worried about being so far away, but OMG the pictures of these cenotes are just not to be missed

Hi Angie! I'm not sure of the name of the Cenotes, but Ralph could answer that question. Ralph??

They are about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes away, but the ride was nice with some sights along the way. We did not have time to do anything else, but that was my fault (always the slow one) so we didn't get off the boat until a little later than we should have!

We snacked on the way back and that was plenty since we had a large breakfast on the boat.

We were worried as well about being so far away, but we were so comfortable in and felt so safe. We had 10 in our group including a 4 and 6 year old and I never felt like we were in any danger at all. Tourism is great income for most of the locals.

Ralph and our driver coordinated everything we didn't have to worry about a thing right down to towels!! I believe they do all kinds of tours and he may be able to work something out for you where you could do something else as well. I know he informed me that if you really want great cenotes you needed to go to these. I hope I helped let me know if you have any other questions!

The Chunkanan cenotes are the same ones as the Cuzama cenotes, yes. As for food, as I always say you get so much on the ship that a few hours away from the buffet won't kill you. In fact, it will make you hungrier and you will enjoy the evening meal so much more.

You can however get snacks along the way; no one ever starves. :)

Timewise it is 90 minutes in either direction and that doesn't leave much room for other places or many stops, especially with a large group. There is a photogenic Gothic church (rare in the Yucatan) on the way and a pyramid right in the middle of one of the towns you go through.

Thanks for the review. The cenotes that you visited, were they the cozuma cenotes, about 1 1/2 hours away? And was that pretty much all you had time for? We would like to visit these cenotes definitely, but we would also like to at least see some ruins and just wondering about time. Also I didn't see anything about meals and was wondering if y'all just snacked or did you stop to eat anywhere. Don't need anything fancy. It is first cruise for our large group of mostly family about 27 of us. Some though are worried about being so far away, but OMG the pictures of these cenotes are just not to be missed

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Angie. Are you & your group on the Carnival Triumph 7-30-12? I'd love to take my granddaughter to swim in the cenotes but I was apprehensive of going so far from port. May we 'buy into' your trip if you arrange one? I understand there is a bus station and can 'do it yourself' but kind of wimpy for that especially just me and the 9 year old.

First off I want to say Thank you to William Lawson for a fantastic time in Progreso. I contacted him after reading about the Cenotes here on the boards.

He was so quick to answer questions and really put us at ease when my family (group of 11) were worried about being so far from the port.

I was not disappointed when we arrived in Progreso we were picked up by our driver and Ralph and away we went. On our way to the Cenotes we were given information about some of the sites and were able to ask a TON of questions!! The ride was comfortable in a very nice air conditioned van. We never had to worry about anything it was all taken care of for us.

We arrived at the first Cenote after being on the "Trucks" and were amazed. It was so breathtaking. Some of us jumped off the wooden platform into the water and others took the stairs down to a little plat formed rock that you could easily get into the water from. The water was crystal clear and is something everyone should go to see. After the first Cenote we had some fresh local mangos (I had never had mangos before) they were wonderful and were sold right outside the opening for the first Cenote (No worries though you were pressured to buy anything it was just a couple of local woman sitting at a table selling a couple of snacks).

The second Cenote was a little harder to get into unless you wanted to jump from the wooden platform because the rocks were steeper and you had to use a rope to hang onto to get down into the water, but there was a place for anyone to sit and hangout if they didn't feel comfortable doing this one. It was just as beautiful as the first!!

We only had time for 2 of the Cenotes (because we got off the boat late this was my fault) but we were happy as can be and I'm not sure that I would have done the 3rd one anyways since you can only get to it by climbing a rope later down the side of a rock (call me chicken LOL).

I joked with Ralph because he was everywhere!! Every time anyone was getting out of the water he was there with his hand out to help. We felt very safe and he communicated with all the locals for us. We also didn't have to worry about the time at all because Ralph and his driver knew exactly when we needed to leave to be back on the boat in time.

I will let everyone know that my 6 year old was very scared of swimming in the water (I think because you could see so far down) she didn't get in the water much, but my 4 year old niece was swimming away (they both had life jackets which were provided).

The whole group said this was the best excursion we have ever taken! This was our 4th cruise and to get an idea we have swam with the stingrays twice in grand Caymans, walked the falls in Ocho Rios and been to some wonderful beach clubs in Cozumel. But this by far was a wonderful experience.

We also wanted to let everyone know that we were safe!! We heard all kinds of things before we went like don't get off the ship or that it was unsafe, but there wasn't one second when we felt unsafe it was wonderful.

I hope that everyone will contact William Lawson to see what tours he has to offer while you are in Progreso. I know we are planning another trip and Progreso will be a stop on our next cruise just so that we can do it all over again.

Thank you Ralph!!

The first picture is of my 6 year old on the ride back to the port. The sucker in her mouth is one that Ralph gave her it was a caramel like sucker and she loved them I'll bet she ate 6!!

I just wrote Wm. Thanks for this excellent review and reassurance to a wimpy Nana leary of going so far inland away from my cruise. Hope I can find a way.

• 1 month later...

Hi! I am cruising to Progreso in a week, and also want to do a private cenote tour. We have been to the Il Kil Cenote before and it was breathtaking! So I don't want to be disappointed in the ones that the ship excursions offer. How do I find this Mr. Ralph who would take the 4 of us to the 3 cenotes you speak of? Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

We are on a Carnival cruise and will be in Progreso late in March. We would love to know if any of the operators you are suggesting are available.

Also, we are a family of three. One seven year old girl. So if there is another family with young kids that would like to jointly book a tour...we are up for that.

Adam

adamfaust@yahoo.com

Archived