What Is There To Do In Ocho Rios?

Boiler Cruiser

My DW and I will be visiting Ocho Rios on our cruise on the Island Princess in October, 2008. I have looked at the Princess Shore Excursion brochure and have watched the boards, and have not seen or heard anything that makes Ocho Rios seem like an exciting place to visit.

I hear that Dunns Falls is an overcrowded tourist trap...

What recommendations does anyone have about where to go or what to visit while in Ocho Rios?

OR...should we just stay on the ship and enjoy the day there?

My DW and I will be visiting Ocho Rios on our cruise on the Island Princess in October, 2008. I have looked at the Princess Shore Excursion brochure and have watched the boards, and have not seen or heard anything that makes Ocho Rios seem like an exciting place to visit.

I hear that Dunns Falls is an overcrowded tourist trap...

What recommendations does anyone have about where to go or what to visit while in Ocho Rios?

OR...should we just stay on the ship and enjoy the day there?

You might have better luck if you post in the Jamaica forum. I would help ya but i've never been there.

Jamacia has a lot of options depending on your interest. We really enjoyed our day in this port but used a local guide Marva Shaw. We went to Dunns River Falls--she got us there before all of the ships tours so it wasn't crowded at all--we also went to the botanical gardens, went to a local jerk shack for lunch and then shopping. We got a chance to see a lot of the different areas and she was most accomodating to what we wanted to do. We also went to Margarittaville. Please go to the Jamacia boards and check out what the others have to say. I would not feel comfortable walking around this port on my own, but with a guide or ship excursion it is a lot of fun!

We did a tour with Peat Taylor which includes a tour around Ocho Rios, as well as a trip up Dunn's River Falls. My DW and I enjoyed walking up the falls. You have a guide and you go as a group which makes it a lot easier. However, you want to get through the flea market afterwards as quick as possible. The cost for Peat's tour is now $35, fifteen of which goes for the fee at Dunn's River. He's also an honest tour guide. I had left my camera on his van and when I contacted him after our cruise, he sent it back to me. He was even going to pay for the shipping ($25), but I reimbursed him. I would highly recommend his tour. You can click HERE for more info.

Archived