$200 Free On Board Credit

BESCHER99

Have a trip booked July 28th Southampton to NY and in the mail received a booklet from Cunard giving my partner & I $100 each on board ship credit.

We got in touch with the TA and he posted the code into our reservation and that was that.

TA claims we can use it anywhere on the ship including treatments etc. in the Spa.

Does anyone know is this too good to be true? Is there some catch regarding what we can spend it on or some hidden small print?

I'm not familiar with Cunard, but On Board credits are quite common. They are issued for specific cabin classes, or promoted for slow selling itineraries.

You can pretty much use it towards anything that you would normally charge to your account: drinks, shore excursions booked through the ship, merchandise, etc. I'm not sure if you can use it towards gratuities.

Happy Sailing

nlvc12

Have a trip booked July 28th Southampton to NY and in the mail received a booklet from Cunard giving my partner & I $100 each on board ship credit.

We got in touch with the TA and he posted the code into our reservation and that was that.

TA claims we can use it anywhere on the ship including treatments etc. in the Spa.

Does anyone know is this too good to be true? Is there some catch regarding what we can spend it on or some hidden small print?

Cunard sent me a post card with the same promotion offering between $50 and $200 P/P depending on the level of accommodations.

Obviously, they are behind in the levels of reservations. Yes, you can use the shipboard credit on anything you charge to your cabin. But any credit not used will be forfeited at the end of your crossing.

I prefer to wait a little longer when it is very likely they will reduce the fares across the board.

Yeagh, we booked in May 2006 after deliberating whether to wait or not.

That said, TA has notified us that the price has dropped by $150 per person since booking and Cunard have reduced our fare accordingly.

After getting the $200 of credit we feel $500 better off icon10.gif

My guess is that for your sailing date there will be further price reductions. Your TA is a busy person so you can't depend on him/her to know when the price falls. The cruise lines at best have a spotty record of letting people know that what they have sold them is now available at a lower cost.

The moral is that you should keep on top of this yourself. ;)

To keep on top of price changes, does that mean checking the Cunard website to see if the fares have changed, or is there some other way to keep aware of changes? I'm also on this crossing and will definitely want to know about price reductions. Thanks!

To keep on top of price changes, does that mean checking the Cunard website to see if the fares have changed, or is there some other way to keep aware of changes? I'm also on this crossing and will definitely want to know about price reductions. Thanks!

I would call Cunard every 6 weeks (or have your TA do so) and then about 10 days before sail date. At the Cunard web site you can sign up for last minute specials, I get some great prices on sailings 30 - 60 days off. I admit to do most of my travel off season , therefore there is a greater likelyhood that the sailings I am on are less than fully booked, hence last minute (actually month) discounts will be offered. :)

In order to use an On-Board Credit on Cunard one must know proper grammar -- the direct object after a verb must be in the objective case, not the nominative. The credit would be given, as you mean, "to my partner and me." This is between you and I, of course.

My wife and I are also booked on this crossing (booked in mid-November), but as yet have received no communication regarding on-board credits. Perhaps it is because we booked an inside cabain in steerage. We shall see - in the meanwhile, I will check to see if they have posted discounted fares on the Cunard website.

I was told by Cunard at the weekend that they do not have a web site?????? By phone I was told that Cunard.com re-directs you to a travel agent that has nothing to do with Cunard. I was booking a trip and was quoted a lesser price by phone - I was looking at the web site at the time. By phone I was told I had a better chance of an upgrade or price reduction if I booked with Cunard directly - which I did. Anyone know if this is so.

In order to use an On-Board Credit on Cunard one must know proper grammar -- the direct object after a verb must be in the objective case, not the nominative. The credit would be given, as you mean, "to my partner and me." This is between you and I, of course.

Had I wanted a lesson in grammar I would have asked for one but I don't believe my question went along the lines of "please comment on my grammar and some on board credit I have been given"

I was told by Cunard at the weekend that they do not have a web site?????? By phone I was told that Cunard.com re-directs you to a travel agent that has nothing to do with Cunard. I was booking a trip and was quoted a lesser price by phone - I was looking at the web site at the time. By phone I was told I had a better chance of an upgrade or price reduction if I booked with Cunard directly - which I did. Anyone know if this is so.

Cunard absolutely has an official corporate web site: WWW. Cunard.com.

Archived