fatigue based illness - questions

pamyla

Hi everyone! I'm going on the Golden Princess in May and I'm a little nervous about having the energy to get around. I have a fatigue based illness, but don't require a wheelchair to get around. However I have problems standing for more than a few minutes at a time and am generally exercise intolerant. I'd say 10-20 min of walking is my max.

I guess I'm looking for any tips others might have for me on making this trip as stress-free as possible. I'm especially nervous about getting on and off the ship and having to wait in long lines. Or how about lines for dinner? I'm also curious about the tours and wondering if anyone has ideas that primarily involve being able to sit in a car or bus to tour the islands.

Some things I've thought of -<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Our cabin is located nearby to the elevators

<LI>I've been thinking of buying a travel fold-up chair from Magellan's (although wondering if I can carry this onto the plane?)

<LI>I plan to complete as many travel documents as possible beforehand in order to make check-in go smoothly

<LI>I'm considering asking my doctor for a letter

<LI>I've requested a shower stool

Any suggestions would be wonderful icon_smile.gif

Thanks, Pam

I to have the same problems as you, I have CMT.I find a cane elps me to stand for a while in line. I also got a small light weight scooter. It folds easy like a baby stroller and can be pulled on trains bus ships etc. I dont need it all the time but it is shore nice to have when I do. Hope this helps. Teresa

Hi Pam, Know your not dense, few people know of CMT Its inherited Neurological disorder, which causes loss of Muscule strength in various parts of the body. About the scooter I bought it on line A1Scooters-4U. The featherlite deluxe by No Boundaries. I really love it. If you need more information just let me know. Teresa

Another suggestion: Check the yellow pages (or ask your physician) - look under Medical Supplies and/or Equipment. Check out a couple of local stores. Look for a walker with 4 wheels and a seat. They all fold up - some easier than others. They also have hand-grip brakes. So you can walk around and then sit down when you need to.

You probably can also buy a "travel bag" for the walker. Airlines do not count mobility assistance items towards your luggage count. Thus, no extra charge to check the walker on the airline. Definitely "bubble wrap" the handles/brakes, and whatever you can for the airlines.

But those walkers sound as if one would meet your specific needs. Also - at the airport and or/port - request wheelchair assistance.

~~The best days are SEA Days ~~

Another suggestion is rent a small scooter from scootaround meet it on the ship. Rent a scootie, it is 17 in wide and will fit most doors. The charger will come with it. You can use it on the ship and for any ports you dock at, it has about a 10 mile limit before charge required. I have MS and tire easily if I walk to much. I use canes, wheelchairs and scooters. As above if you bring your own it is not count for luggage but you must contact airline when you book so they they know what you are bring. You can aslo get the airport wheelchair to to you right up to the door of the plane. When you get to dock if you did not bring yours because you rentedone delivered to ship, you can get a wheel chair at the door and they will take you right to your room.

Having said all this, when I got to the buffet for lunch the first day there was a long line but it moved quickly. They will help disabled travellers with trays.

Hopfully a Hawiian Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2006;12;5;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until we sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03

Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb

Dawn Princess Panamal Canal

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely check in to those scooters.

One more question, for those of you who have been on princess, do you recommend traditional seating or personal choice dining?

• 2 weeks later...

I have to tell you that I thought getting on and off the ship was going to be a huge problem for both my brother and myself as we are both wheelchair bound but didn't want to take our chairs on the trip.

Not so! Most of the lines have a whole fleet of chairs just waiting for those who need them on both embarkation and debarkation.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2005;4;24;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Mercury here we come!

• 2 weeks later...

pamyla,

If you are still looking, check out this website. http://www.scooterville.com/

I have one of the wheeled walkers with a seat. I have MS and fatigue very easy and fast. The walker is a life saver and I've taken it on cruises before. I got mine through my health care provider at no cost, but after seeing it, my 79 year old mother wanted one. I ordered one from this website and got it with no tax or shipping charges. They delivered promptly too.

Kathy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

05/30/04 Carnival Pride cruise & the wraparound balcony

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

06/28/04 Ecstasy-

Mom's 80th birthday- It's no longer a surprise!!

Ecstasy 09/13/02

Ecstasy 05/26/03

Kathy, which walker did you get. are they easy to fold and carrie, like on a bus or train. Thanks so much for your link. I no I will order one of them. Just dont no which one is best for me. Please tell me which one you got. I dont no if they go by height or weight, but I am 5foot 5 and weight 108. Thank you so much. Teresa

Teresa,

The exact model that I have is not on the website because I've had mine for about three years. The model that looks most like mine is the Novacruiser Getgo #4203. But, as I recall, mine was called a Cruiser Deluxe and so I'm sure the new updated version of my model is the New Cruise Deluxe #4202.

Either model is for people 5'4" to 6'1" and up to 250 lbs. So, either one would be fine for you.

I find the walker very easy to travel with. Mine has been to Paris and even up about 400 stairs to the top of Sacre Couer on the hill above Paris where my DD carried it all the way to the top so I could enjoy the view. I've taken it on my two previous cruises and it worked fantastic. To have a seat no matter where I went was perfect. It also helped with my balance problems. I take the walker with me to work everyday on the bus. I don't always need the walker but it's horrible to need it and find myself without it. When I catch the bus coming home, I sometimes have a 10-15 minute wait, so that's when I need the seat. It folds up nice and I just always carry a bungee cord with me and use that to hook it around a pole on the bus after folding it. It also goes nicely in the trunk of my car. I have a Nissan Altima and it easily fits. So, you don't need a huge trunk to accommodate the walker.

I don't know what I would do without it!

Let me know if you have any more questions. You can post a reply here or you can E-mail me at kajsb@aol.com. Just be sure to mention cruisecritc in the subject line so I know it isn't spam.

Kathy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

06/28/04 Ecstasy-

Ecstasy 09/13/02

Ecstasy 05/26/03

Forgot to tell you that when traveling, it is more convenient to leave the basket at home. While the basket is great when you are on the move, when you need to fold and store the walker, the basket only gets in the way. I haven't actually used the basket for a long time. Now, I just use a back pack for my purse and other items.

Kathy

06/28/04 Ecstasy-

Ecstasy 09/13/02

Ecstasy 05/26/03

I just purchased a Nova Cruiser Delux for my mom, removing the basket is a good idea, folds well, only 11 pounds, colors offered, and you can purchase or make a little over the handle cloth carrier for personal items. The seat is 17 inches deep which will allow for comfort and rest. Some of us with larger hind parts have diffuculty staying on the seats because they are small. Surf the web carefully for deals, most drop ship to the door , just put in "rollators with four wheels and hand brakes"and you will get about five major companies, American made, companies are competitive with one another, dont forget to get a medical order so insurance can cover all or most. Dont pay more than 180 on line-lots of deals. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for your help.Kathy I am ordering the #4202 from your link today.I have a scooter and its nice but it is hard for me to lift in an out of the car. If I am with family its ok, but I like something I can lift by myself, I think the walker is just what I need.Plus I want to kee walking as long as I can. Thanks again. Teresa

Kathy, just one more thing, when you have time. On are up coming cruise I want to take the walker. I just want to pull it folded so that I can go throught the regular line with my family, I dont want to go throught the disable line because my family of 9 will not be able to go with me. Will they just let me pull it throught folded. Thanks again. That is it no more dump questions from me. Teresa

Hey Teresa,

Always remember, there are no dumb questions. icon_smile.gif I don't imagine there will be a problem going through regular check in with the walker. Last year when I went on the cruise I had the walker and we just checked in like everyone else. So, I'm sure it is the same way. If you arrive early, you might want to think about the early check in for everyone through the Queen Mary. Check out this link that I posted earlier today on the boarding process through the Queen Mary.

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=969097554&m=268106681&r=919106681#919106681

Be sure to get in touch with me if you have ANY questions.

Kathy

06/28/04 Ecstasy-

Ecstasy 09/13/02

Ecstasy 05/26/03

Kathy, my walker just came the one you told me about. The company was s quick it came in 3 days. I think I will love it. Its s easy to fold up and lite. Thanks so much for telling me about it. Teresa

Hi everyone! Have a quick question about these walkers. Are these something that someone else could push you around in? I ask because for me having to carry or lean on something else while standing won't make my life any easier. Standing is a problem in general for me icon_frown.gif The walkers look pretty cool though icon_smile.gif

Thanks again for sharing information with me.

Didn't you get one with the seat? That's what I have so I always have my chair with me and never have to stand and wait.

Kathy

06/28/04 Ecstasy-

Ecstasy 09/13/02

Ecstasy 05/26/03

• 1 month later...

Archived