Avalon Waterways

spindrift

I can't help but ask where all the folks are when they are looking at optional European river cruises. I seem to be the only one aware of the wonderful new line, but they seem to be suppressed on this board--even tho there was a Cruise Critic member on board for the christening?

Folks--I'm not a travel agent, but you have to look at this wonderful, modern river ship--MS Artistry as well as the sister ship MS Symphony.

This is a wonderful ship. I'm not promoting because many, many people are booking--even way into 2005. I just can't figure out why there isn't any info on the boards. Interesting.

Wife and I are booked on Artistry for Danube cruise in July. Will be happy to submit a review based on our experience. This will be our second European R. cruise. Last summer we were on Uniworld's Seine River cruise and it was grand. But cannot wait to see the ARtistry.

Oh, I am sooo happy to hear that someone is booked on it. I was fortunate to be invited to the christening, and I absolutely loved it. What a lovely ship. I shall look for your review. I am booked on it for Aug. 2005 because I have other trips booked before then.

Dear spindrift:

In a week we will be making a deposit on Artistry 5/2005 sailing - from Prague/Nuremburg to Budapest. Trying to select a room on the Royal Deck (P Cat).

Do you have any suggestions on rooms? Which side (left or right) of the ship has better views (sailing eastward to Budapest)? Should we take a room closer to the front, middle, or back of the ship on that deck? We don't like noise or cigarette smoke.

How formal are the dinners?

Tipping suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Meliacaribe, first, my friend had 212 and that is right behind the reception desk, so I would recommend midship or back. I had 228 and it was perfect. Do you want a french door, which I had, or do you just want the very large window? It is your preference.

I prefer on the river to face the "river" and not the dock when you are moored. I was on the port side, but it depends on where you are going to dock so that is a really difficult question to answer. I asked my agent to fax them for my Danube cruise in August 2005 and ask where they would be docking so I could chose the "river" side to watch the action.

Meal dress was "country club casual." Tipping is as on a ship. They also have an amount of $10 a day per passenger which is spread among the staff. In this case, I think it is good. I did tip the bartender extra because I liked to have ice in my room, and they don't have ice there. I kept having to run up and get some. Since it was the inaugural cruise, we did make the suggestion that they put ice buckets in the rooms, and I understand they are going to do so.

As you know, Europeans aren't into "ice."

I also tipped the piano player and the dining room Captain a little extra. All of that, of course is up to your service. I am so excited for you all. You will LOVE it. I am just sure.

• 1 month later...
Wife and I are booked on Artistry for Danube cruise in July. Will be happy to submit a review based on our experience. This will be our second European R. cruise. Last summer we were on Uniworld's Seine River cruise and it was grand. But cannot wait to see the ARtistry.

My husband and I are also going on a Danube cruise in July. We leave July 15th for two days in Budapest, then cruise for 7 and spend 3 days in Prague.We will be sailing on the Artistry and I have heard positive comments about this ship.

Hi, just wanted to check in and let y'all know that our review of Avalon Waterways' Artistry will be launched tomorrow (Tuesday, July 13) in our new river cruising section....

And please feel free to let us know how we can otherwise keep improving that new -- first ever for Cruise Critic -- section on river and canal cruising.

Thanks.

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

and

Cruise Critic's Cruise Reviews & News

Well, glad to hear from the Cruise Critic "on board" person. I attempted to meet "this person" but never did so. I hope the review is good. Would have been nice for "the mystery" person to have gotten the opinion of the other passengers; however, this did not happen. Of course, I am sure that there is nothing but a "satisfactory" or "extremely good" report for one person's opinion.

Archived