Star Legend power failure

Misty Morning

Currently cruising with Star Legend on our way to San Juan PR and while sitting at Star Bar listening to band, at 23:15, the ship went totally dark for about 2 minutes before emergency generators came on. Engines were shut down and we drifted for about an hour before engines came back on. Captain came on to announce they were working on problem and handled the matter very well with things now back to normal. Crew said this was first time this had happened. Looks like also they had some outside contractor installing some equipment in the engine room in the last month. We will probably know more in the AM

FYI, the ship did have basic power as the emergency generators kicked in. Music was played on deck and they were serving drinks. Only AC, elevators were not working. Captain explained this morning that one of the electrical generators had failed and that it needed to get rebooted which I guess does not happen just by flipping a switch. A lot of guests never realized we drifted for so long until people told them this am. In the end it was well handled as even when it happened, captain quickly came on to say it would get fixed in the coming minutes so I guess he knew it was not going to last long to start off with and knew what the issue was. This did not change the schedule as ship just docked in San Juan at its scheduled 10AM arrival time.

FYI, the ship did have basic power as the emergency generators kicked in. Music was played on deck and they were serving drinks. Only AC, elevators were not working. Captain explained this morning that one of the electrical generators had failed and that it needed to get rebooted which I guess does not happen just by flipping a switch. A lot of guests never realized we drifted for so long until people told them this am. In the end it was well handled as even when it happened, captain quickly came on to say it would get fixed in the coming minutes so I guess he knew it was not going to last long to start off with and knew what the issue was. This did not change the schedule as ship just docked in San Juan at its scheduled 10AM arrival time.

Thanks for the update MM. Hope you had an overall great time. In a world of "mechanical stuff" everywhere...things just happen. Sometimes we learn more about how well responsible people look after us (like the crew on Star Legend yesterday and today), when something "breaks" than we can ever learn or remember when nothing goes wrong.

Recently I watched as the oldest guy on the engineering dept. crew fixed a minor problem 10 seconds after he arrived. Some younger guys had been trying to figure it our for more than 5 minutes. But one of the younger guys knew who to call to get it addressed. And it was like a ballet. I am sure the engineering crew on the Star Legend lost some sleep last night so you and 200 of your friends would not.

Post a review of your overall Star Legend experience, when you can.