South East Asia Shore Tours - Laem Chabank (Bangkok Thailand)

saraheg77

FYI - from what they told me today when I called in to P&O, you can't actually pre-book these tours. You just get the prices and book after you are on the ship...

1. All Day Sightseeing - 9 1/2 hours

Wat Trimitr - famous 3-metre high solid gold Buddha housed here

Wat Pra Keo - The Royal Chapel of the Emerald Buddha - monastery

Grand Palace - original centre of the newly proclaimed capital for King Rama I, founder of the Thai royal dynasty that has spanned from 1782 to today

Chao Phraya River Cruise - 45 min journey down one of Bangkok's most famous arteries... past many monuments and buildings, avoiding the infamous traffic

international buffet lunch provided

2. Highlights of Bangkok - 9 3/4 hours

Wat Pra Keo - see above

Grand Palace - see above

Craft shopping - brief shopping stop

World Trade Centre - largetst shopping mall in Bangkok

bring water and local currency to purchase lunch

3. Off the Beaten Path - 11 hours

Bussaracum Restaurant - informative & entertaining cooking demo - hands on and you eat what you have made & other dishes

Vimanmek Teak Mansion - built a century ago for King Rama V - world's largest mansion, made entirely of golden teak and no nails. (1-hour tour)

Jim Thompson Thai House - remarkable Thai-style house shows creativity of Jim Thompson, an American who came to Thailand at the end of WWII and revived the Thai silk industry.

lunch provided & bottles of water

4. Bangkok on your Own - Day One 9 1/2 hours or Day two - 8 1/2 hours

Bangkok -transfer to a drop-off/pick-up location outside of the Shangri-La in downtown. choice of river cruises, or taxis - map provided to easily navigate on your own... some suggestions:

Wat Trimitr - see above

Grand Palace - see above

World Trade Centre - see above

NAtional Museum - comprehensive display of thai & buddhist culture thru many dynasties

cruise the riverside markets, shop in chinatown or dine in Little India

5. Pattaya on your own - 4 1/2 hours

Pattaya - transferred to drop-off/pick-up location outside Montien Pattaya Hotel, located on the waterfront in the heart of Pattaya. easy access to sporting, shopping and entertainment. map of Pattaya provided

no refreshments provided

6. Nong Nuch Village - 3 1/2 hours

Peaceful alternative to busy Bangkok & Pattaya

Nong Nuch Gardens - Stunning 500-acre parklands include fountain, mini open zoo, orchid nursery, formal display gardens, etc

Folklore Show - entertainers perform traditional folk dances, Thai wedding ceremony, boxing & sword fighting

Elephant Show - elephants show their skills at basketball & soccer (?) (sounds interesting heehee)

one bottle of water provided

45-60 minute drive from the port

7. Elephant Kraal - 3 3/4 hours

Pattaya Elephant Village - show where elephants display skills in forestry work, playing football, and re-enacting ancient war parades. Shows how wild elephants are captured and tamed.

No refreshments provided

45-60 min drive from port

8. Golf - 6 1/4 hours

Laem Chabang International Country Club - one of thailand's best courses - total of 9,326 yards

Lunch & drinks available at additional cost - bring local currency

9. Cultural Tour of Pattaya - 4 3/4 hours

Wat Yansangwararam - unique modern tha architechure 12 kilometres south of Pattay - 146 acre temple with pavilion with replica of Buddha's footprints

Wat Khao Cheejan - adjacent to Wat Yansangwararam - gigantic image of Buddha carved in to a hill

Wihan-Sian - close by - Chinese style building built by Thais of Chinese descent with Chinese antiques & art

bottle of water provided

10. Grand Bangkok - 2 days/1 night

Includes overnight stay

Wat Pra Keo - see above

Grand Palace - see above

Chao Phraya River Ride - 45 minute journey down the river

Indra Regent Hotel - in central bangkok

Jim Thompson Thai House - see above

Pattaya Elephan Village - see above

includes thai style lunch, dinner & show, buffet breakfast & lunch the 2nd day

11. Afternoon & Evening in Bangkok - 11 1/4 hours

Wat Pra Keo - see above

Grand Palace - see above

Chao Phraya River Ride - see above

includes thai stye dinner with show of thai dancing

12. Evening & Night in Pattaya - 6 1/2 hours

Central Pattaya - begins with thai set menu dinner then 4 hours to explore the town

South Pattaya - 'walking street' pedestrian mall

North Pattaya - more sophisticated side of the resort

includes dinner and water, tea or coffee & fruits

13. Bangkok by Night - 8 1/2 hours

Traditional Thai Dinner - enjoy dinner and thai dancing show

Pat Pong Night Market - hundreds of shopping stalls and bars and nightclubs

includes dinner and bottled water

:) Great to have this information, especially since TA told me today that our tickets are still 'a couple of weeks' away.

It's interesting to see that one of the options they offer is an overnight stay in Bangkok. Will be even more interesting to find out the cost.

I've done some research on hotels and which is the best location to stay in Bangkok so if anyone is interested, please let me know.

Ans

Pacific Sky Eastern Sunsets 11 March 2006

Sounds great - what are you top few hotel picks? Have you decided if you will stay in Bangkok? There are some cheap deals on asiarooms.com

Mandarin - AU$33

Royal Benja - AU$41

Asia Hotel - AU$53

but I'm not sure if those are in bad areas or whatever...

Sarah, Thanks for the post.

The "Highlights of Bangkok" tour almost exactly matches some ideas we had thought about for a "roll your own" shore tour. Indra Regent was one of the possible hotels, as I stayed there for 5 days a few years back. Location is excellent, oposite Pratunam Market (just walk out the front door and your there) and connected through the hotel foyer with the Indra Shopping Centre (Lots of tailors amongst other traders) It's also short walk to the World Trade Centre and big electronics places (MBK I think).

Rooms were big but the decor was a little dated but on the whole pretty good value for money. Thai dinner and dance was held in the sala thai restaurant out the back by the pool. (see VR tour on website www.indrahotel.com).

This time I'm looking at a couple of other options for hotels but proably around the same area. If I can't get in I'd go back to the Indra. It will be interesting to see how the tour prices compare with what you can do on the Net.

Transfer costs will proably be the big ticket item out of all this. I think we were looking $140AUD for a return trip in a minivan for 4 (could probably get another 2 in and spread the cost a little more)

Grand Palace is a must. Very ornate and the pictures don't do it justice in terms of the scale of the place. Didn't venture onto the river last time so that is another must do and the skytrain was just being built when I was last there so want to experience that as well because the traffic in the city is unbelievable.

Rod

Thanks Sarah for your hard work on letting us know what the tours are. You've done a great job.

They all sound so good it's going to hard to decide which tour to do. Look forward to hearing from you when you get back as to which tours you did decide to do.

Kerri.

Sounds great - what are you top few hotel picks? Have you decided if you will stay in Bangkok? There are some cheap deals on asiarooms.com

Mandarin - AU$33

Royal Benja - AU$41

Asia Hotel - AU$53

but I'm not sure if those are in bad areas or whatever...

Thanks Sarah. The following is the opinion of one of the Bangkok experts on the Asiaweb-direct website: "The Asia Hotel is the most conveniently-located being connected to the skytrain station. The hotel is old and worn and in need of major renovation, but for most, this is nothing compared to the ease in getting around the city.

Novotel Siam Square is always a safe choice, particularly because the central station of the skytrain is just a quick 3 minute stroll outside the hotel. Rooms are recently renovated so that is a good plus. Immediate vicinity of the place is very lively with shopping, malling, dining and movie-watching options in abundance. "

http://asiaweb-direct.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

It depends on the budget, I guess. The Novotel is around A$100, almost double the price of the Asia Hotel (leaving less money for shopping :rolleyes: ).

Apart from visiting the Grand Palace, we'd like to see Jim Thompson's house which is in the Siam Square area, as well as visit MBK shopping centre. Staying in a hotel in this area will therefore be very handy.

Not long to go for you now!

Ans

Thanks, Ans! Great info on the Bangkok hotels! I guess I need to make a decision! :O

Hi Sarah, if you want to book before you go, have a look at www.wotif.com as they show short-term availability and reduced rates for Bangkok hotels up till 2 March or thereabouts. The Indra Regent is available for the whole period at this stage, none of the other hotels I mentioned are showing. There are other last-minute hotel booking internet sites, will have a look for them. We're definitely going to stay overnight as DH doesn't like being rushed and this will give us more time. Ans

It's a shame that P&O don't give you prices with the tours beforehand, that way it would be an easier decision to make wouldn't it. Tour or own, tour or own (imagine here your hands, one higher than the other, going up and down - tour/own etc. hope you get the picture) lol lol.

Maybe that's why P&O don't give the prices because you could do it cheaper than their tours??

My only problem is I'd be a bit nervous running late the next day!!!

Kerri

Hi All, We were lucky to be able to do the Elephant Kraal tour on Sky Princess many years ago, it was an excellant way to spend an afternoon and I would highly recommend it. Pattaya on your own also proved to be a winner, Montien Hotel is a great place. Cheers Jake:)

Hi All, We were lucky to be able to do the Elephant Kraal tour on Sky Princess many years ago, it was an excellant way to spend an afternoon and I would highly recommend it. Pattaya on your own also proved to be a winner, Montien Hotel is a great place. Cheers Jake:)

Thanks Jake. Was wondering what the Elephant Kraall Would be like and the Pattaya tour on your own.:)

Kerri

Sarah, Thanks for the post.

Transfer costs will proably be the big ticket item out of all this. I think we were looking $140AUD for a return trip in a minivan for 4 (could probably get another 2 in and spread the cost a little more)

Rod

This may be of interest to Sky passengers who are thinking of arranging their own transport from Laem Chabang port to Bangkok. I came across the following message posted on 28/12/05 by Cool Cruiser and wonder whether the same would apply to Sky cruisers?

" I recommend having a reservation before you arrive. The dock is small and 2 hours from the city. There is a fair amount of chaos when you disembark. There are cabs there but Princess seems to organize them which could be more expensive. Also once again it is a container port... they need a special permit to get in.

By the way if you have a small group with a private transfer let Princess know ahead of time you will get off the ship earlier. You can do it even if you get individual people you know that have private hires to form a group. Name a group lead and give Princess all the names and state rooms mid trip. Some who were not in a group but had a private hire didn't get off the ship until after 1PM on our cruise.

We hired Airport Transportthai for the same fee. The service was terrific with new air conditioned vans. They can also provide city tours for those who are interested.

The contact is Mr. Nattasak.

Airport Transportthai co.,Ltd.

Booking 24hrs. : airporttransportthai@hotmail.combooking@airporttransportthai.com , www.airporttransportthai.com

Tel. +66 2 9646493 Fax : +66 2 5830029

Hotline 24hrs.: 09-6197408 "

The following are prices I found on the OrientalEscape website:

http://www.orientalescape.com/service/transfer/bangkok.html

BUDGET CAR

Bangkok Airport or Hotel - Laem Chabang port

One way 1700 BHT

Round trip 3300 BHT

DE LUXE CAR TOYOTA ALTIS

One way 1800

Round trip 3500

BUDGET VAN (Toyota Hiace) 8 passengers

One way 2000

Round trip 3900

DELUXE VAN (NissanUrvan) 8 passengers

One way 2200

Round trip 4300

Got to say this guys - i think if you are planning on doing very set tours of the city you are making a mistake. It is one of the greatest cities on earth and has excellent public tansport including very cheap taxis. My advice is to do it yourself, that way you will get a far better view of the city and its attractions. If you really want to get a feel for what Asia is like, one of the best things you can do is to head into china town and just spend a day wondering around

• 2 weeks later...

The coach on your own thing seemed pretty expensive, as they told us you would have to pay for both days to get back. We found 6 other people and got a taxi van that holds up to 8 people... it was like AU$30 per person with 8 for the ride from the port to Bangkok. Cheaper to Pattaya. The taxi price for 2 wasn't too bad either, but easy to find others going where you are while you stand in the taxi queue. It was pretty easy and not crowded disembarking in Laem Chabang. Been to Grand Palace (huge, hot & beautiful) and the other temple just south of that. Now relaxing at our hotel for evening shopping! Pictures to come when we are home!

Sarah,

Thanks for all the invaluable information you have sent back. Haveing those prices makes it even more worthwhile to look at dealing direct with the local tour operators.

Port looks pretty bare and flat from the webcam. Wondering was the taxi van you took from the port to Bangkok pre-booked or just a pick-up? If it was $30 per person for 8 that sounds like you may have been ripped off. especially if it was one way. Orientalescape.com as an example offer a deluxe van for 4300 Baht on a return basis ($148) we may be looking at using them.

The Grand Palace it is impresive, we intend to do that plus a river cruise. Already got hotel booked Pathumwan Princess above MBK. Roll on April!

Looking forward to the pictures when you return.

Thanks again

Sorry, Rod... it was 3400 Baht total so I meant more like $28 per two people. That was one way and not pre-booked. There is a taxi stand there at the port terminal and they had posted prices and don't think they negotiate. I think to look for another taxi place would be quite a walk, but not certain. And it was more than a 2-hr ride even in our van that was going fast and we didn't have terrible traffic.

Yes, the port is pretty bare and the drive was for awhile til we got closer to Bangkok! :)

My husband said the trip to Pattaya may be better for those looking to just relax.

We just went shopping at the night market Pat Pong and got some fair deals - some were great and some were so-so, but we had fun. My hubby said in general, they go 75% of their original asking price, so make sure to negotiate.

Off to bed so we can get up early and get in lots of sightseeing before we have to be on the ship at 3:30!

Thanks for the great info Sarah. As Rod said "very invaluable". Getting there doesn't sound so scary now but how did you get back? Did you glimpse any "shows" in Patpong? Here they're an eye opener!! lol lol

Where you stayed did it take long to get to the temples and by the way, how was your dinner on the boat cruise?

Sorry for these questions now, instead of waiting until you arrive back home, but I figure if we're going to stay elsewhere then I need to book a hotel soon!!

So glad you're having a great time.

Kerri

Getting back was more of a problem, just because our driver didn't know where the Star Cruises terminal was and the port is huge, so just make sure your driver knows where he is going. We found it after asking several people and luckily had plenty of time!

Didn't do a dinner cruise - couldn't get it booked before and didn't worry about it later!

At the Sheraton, it didn't take long to get to the Grand Palace or that one next to it - we took a tuk tuk around several times - but they try to charge you more than a regular taxi unless you negotiate well. The taxi metres use their metre, so no problem. probably no more than 50 baht to get to most temples. I would recommend staying in town because the drive is no less than 2 hours one way and not usually in very good aircon!

We DID see some 'shows' in Patpong as I was walking along and glimpsed in some doors - but they mostly had on bikini type outfits :) not toooo bad :D

And also note that once you get back to the cruise centre before boarding, they basically have a little 'market' of souvenirs set up for you to spend any extra bahts or get last minute souvenirs. There was as wide a variety of souvenir type things there as at Patpong - just not the same quantity. Similar prices, too, if you are not too tired to negotiate by this time :)

I think you have one more post I will go answer before I go get my sailaway cocktail !

Oh and just wanted to tell everyone - be sure to take a bit of toilet paper with you if you go out anywhere sightseeing in Thailand! :D Many places just have those almost in the floor toilets, which is bad enough, but then if you don't have tp, it is just icky! :D

Oh and just wanted to tell everyone - be sure to take a bit of toilet paper with you if you go out anywhere sightseeing in Thailand! :

Those little plastic travel packs of wet wipes come in very handy as well:) :)

Oh and just wanted to tell everyone - be sure to take a bit of toilet paper with you if you go out anywhere sightseeing in Thailand! :D Many places just have those almost in the floor toilets, which is bad enough, but then if you don't have tp, it is just icky! :D

One can only hope it flushes as well!!:D :D

Archived