Ocean Nova November 2007

roberts2005

Thank you so much for sharing! You have some truly lovely shots in there. I'm not an early-morning person, but your sunrise shots may have me getting up to try to capture my own. Gorgeous!

Couple camera questions for you if you don't mind. Looks like from the metadata that you were shooting both an 400D and 40D. Mind telling me what lenses you had on there? Saw some long glass, and also several really nice wides around 17mm. Am taking my 10-20, 18-200 and 100-400 next month, and wanted to compare that to what you shot with.

I actually had three cameras with me. All Canon. I had a small S500 which I used several times in the Zodiac. In the beginning I was worried about water with my Rebel XTI and the 40D. We did a total of 10 landings and they were all pretty calm. I had three lenses that I used. 10-22 MM;

17-85 MM and 70-300MM. Both of my cameras have a mutiplication factor, (1.4 X)

So for example the 300 becomes 420MM. Your 400MM should be plenty. In the beginning of the trip I took only the Rebel ashore and used the 40D from the ship. Our last day ashore I took both so I wouldn't have to change lenses.

Just remember take a lot of pictures abd eliminate when you get home. It is very easy to take 2000 pictures.

The day I took the sunrise pictures, we were awakened by the ship hitting sea ice (about 2:30 AM) Decided to stay up and watch the sun rise as we approached the peninsular. I was taking pictures every few minutes with different settings.

It was probably the best day of the whole trip.

Sunrise and sunset will be pretty close together at this time of year. A large group of us stayed up for the Solstice sunset and sunrise, and they were about 3 hours apart, with bright skies in between. If you want to see sunrise, it's about 3-4am right now, with sunset between I guess 10:45-12. Guesstimating. What mountains you're near makes a little difference.

I was told that sailing late February-Early March is the worst time, since the ships have to slow down in the dark. We could see all night long, which didn't make sleeping easy, especially with the excitement level!

I actually had three cameras with me. All Canon. I had a small S500 which I used several times in the Zodiac. In the beginning I was worried about water with my Rebel XTI and the 40D. We did a total of 10 landings and they were all pretty calm. I had three lenses that I used. 10-22 MM;

17-85 MM and 70-300MM. Both of my cameras have a mutiplication factor, (1.4 X)

So for example the 300 becomes 420MM. Your 400MM should be plenty. In the beginning of the trip I took only the Rebel ashore and used the 40D from the ship. Our last day ashore I took both so I wouldn't have to change lenses.

Just remember take a lot of pictures abd eliminate when you get home. It is very easy to take 2000 pictures.

The day I took the sunrise pictures, we were awakened by the ship hitting sea ice (about 2:30 AM) Decided to stay up and watch the sun rise as we approached the peninsular. I was taking pictures every few minutes with different settings.

It was probably the best day of the whole trip.

Ah, I didn't check the EXIF info on the zodiac pics, only the wildlife ones where I was curious. Had a feeling you were using either a 10-20 or 10-22 - had the look on some of your wide angle shots - they give the sky a distinctive effect.

I'm shooting a crop camera as well. On the long end, sure love the additional reach!

I'm also an underwater photographer, so not only do I know well to take far more shots than I think I'll need to have my "keepers", but about keeping cameras dry. While my underwater housings would be a bit of overkill, I am bringing some camera raincoats to make sure I don't take any chances. But worst case scenario, my lenses and body are all insured for flooding.

Thanks for the info!

Archived