MS Maasdam

CaptData

How is this ship for the disabled? I know it was built in 93. I'm thinking of doing 11 Day Southern Caribbean. Only cabins for disabled are C, I perfer inside as I may need to sleep in afternoon (MS). Are there any perks at this level?

Thanks for your help. I'll be with a group from CAA if I go.

Hopfully a Hawiian Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2006;12;5;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Until we sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03

Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb 01/03

Dawn Princess Panamal Canal 11/02

We have sailed the Maasdam twice. Once Transatlantic and once in the Baltic Sea. Both times we were in Cabin H709. H709 and the one across the hall, H704, are both very large with two portholes rather than windows. If one is available the portholes may let in less light than a category C if you want to sleep in the afternoons. The only issue we had with the cabin was on the Transatlantic cruise while going through extremely high seas due to a hurricane. The waves crashing against the ship sounded like a canon going off, but we got used to it.

Its been a few years since we have been on the Maasdam so I do not remember the ship well. I know it didn't have some of the features that some newer ships have (automatic doors, pool lifts, etc.), but I remember that we didn't have any accessibility issues.

Dale

This ship is identical with the Ryndam and Statendam. These cabins listed above are at the lowest cabin level, and all the way to the front of the ship. They are large cabins, but with relatively small (but accessible) bathrooms with roll-in showers. In this location, you do tend to get a bit more ship motion, and more noise in rough seas, but they are easy to get to. You only have small portholes, but the ledge on the bulkhead where the portholes are provide additional storage which is a real bonus. The rooms are fairly dark due to the small portholes, so if light bothers you for sleeping they are pretty good rooms (although not totally dark during the day like an inside room, even with the curtains drawn.

HA Constitution 1986

NCL Skyward 1988

Crystal Harmony 1992

Dawn Princess 1994

HA Independence 1995

Celebrity Zenith 1997

Grand Princess 1999

Regal Princess 2000

Crystal Harmony 2000

HAL Ryndam 2001

HAL Statendam 2003

RCI Vision of the Seas 2003

HAL Ryndam 2004

Did you know that the Maasdam now has some "modified accessible" cabins, in addition to the fully accessible? I found thisout when I sailed in March and these are good cabins for me.

Here's the difference:

Fully accessible (c389, c390, h704, h706, h709 & h711)- roll-in shower, hand held shower, shower bench, lower closet rods, 32.5" door ways, no step in to bathroom, etc., etc. There are other features but these are the biggies.

Modified accessible (s030, b200, b202, L500, h501, h502, d563, ff829 & ff831) - standard door widths (exterior door 23.5" & bathrom door 19.5"), still a step up in to the bathroom but there are NO tubs. All the tubs were removed and replaced with shower only. There is a small threshold so you cannot roll your chair up to the seat. But if you can take a small step (1-2" max.) in to the shower, you'll be OK. Shower stools & hand held shower attachments, lowered closed rods and on three of the staterooms, there are ramps to the balconies.

HAL still has a problem with auto door openers but I always ask a steward for assistance and they're great.

Hope this hleps! Call HAL if you need more info and ask for Eena... she's so sweet!

And here's a little secret... on the Veendam (sister ship to the Maasdam), cabins h501 & h502 are pretty decent size INSIDE cabins. They are classified "modified" accessible but the door ways are HUGE... wide enough for my wheelchair! If it's this way on the Veendam, I assume it has to be this way on the Maasdam.

Thanks all booked H709. Southern Carb 6-17 Nov 05

MS Maasdam 6 - 17 Feb 05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;02;5;07;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until I sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03

Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb 01/03

Dawn Princess Panamal Canal 11/02

Archived