QE2 Cabin / Queens Grill Advice Please

I currently have cabin 8002 reserved for a five day European cruise in August 2005 ( I like to book early ). I picked this cabin because it looked like the biggest Q2. The balcony seems a bit small and I am unsure about the stairway to the cabin below. Does anybody have any advice regarding the Q2 cabins? A Grand Suite is out of my league so I am looking for the best Q2. I would also appreciate any advice or thoughts about the Queen Grill restaurant.

I have travelled on QE2 before ( a crossing and a cruise ) but both time in M grade insides.

Thanks, Stephen.

• 2 months later...

Greetings Stephen. I have sailed QE2 Q2 several times and offer the following opinions:

1. 8001/8002: Ideal for the December crossing due their larger interior space and smaller balcony. If you look at the deck plans, you'll notice a space forward of the balcony -- this is a small windowed seating alcove which is perfect for breakfast, reading, etc. On any voyage that might afford you the opportunity to spend time out on the balcony, you should opt for forward Signal Deck suites 8003-8010. 8001/8002 offer greater closet space than the other Q2s -- all cabinets are located on either side of a small hallway which is ended by a full-length dressing mirror. The downward staircase is closed-off behind a door unless you also book 8101/8102. FYI, for better Southampton sailaway views of the quay and shore, I recommend any forward starboard suite.

2. 8003-8010: Nicley proportioned with large balconies featuring two teak steamer chairs, a teak dining table and two teak dining chairs. Of all Q2s, I prefer these suites.

3. 8011-8019: Much smaller Q2s with less living and bath space. Instead of cabinets for closets, these feature a curtained walk-in closet. In my opinion, these aft Signal Deck suites should be catergorised separately from the forward suites.

4. 8101-8110: These suites offer the same space as 8003-8010 but the view from the balconies is obstructed by life boats.

The Queens Grill restaurant is consistently excellent in terms of food quality and service. My table preference is for a table situated in the centre of the room or on the upper tier over-looking the centre. As you may have read on other posts, you are welcome to ask for off-menu items, Beluga caviar, etc. at any time.

Gary: December crossings are like no other. You'll find several fellow passengers who specifically book these voyages for the adventure of sailing the (often times rough) North Atlantic in December. Fear not though, no other ship meets these seas like QE2.

Please advise if you would like additional details.

Best regards,

Edward

Edward

Thanks for this very detailed summary. We are in 8006 for the crossing, and from your description it sounds like a great cabin. We are really looking forward both to the experience and meeting a lot of great and interesting people - which it sounds from what everyone has said will be on.

You know a huge amount about the ship, is that from travelling as a guest or have you been lucky enought to have been working on the QE2/

gary

Thank you for that really detailed information on the Q2 cabins. It is just what I needed to know. The cruise I am doing is a five day to France and Spain in August 2005. This will be my first warm weather cruise. I have crossed (on QE2 and QM2) and cruised in Norway (with P&O).

As I hope to use the balcony (I have never had one before) I might try and swap 8202 to 8203 as it has a bigger balcony. I will give my travel agent a call. Originally I was advised that all the Q2 balconies are the same size. From what you say and the deck plans that is not the case. I wonder if my budget would stretch to a Q1.

I was interested that you suggested the starboard side. I had thought about port. If I remember QE2 is port side to the quay at the QE2 terminal. I had hoped to watch what was going on at the quay.

My previous experience on QE2 was an inside M grade cabin, which I very much enjoyed. I just love being on QE2. I am looking forward to trying the better Q grade cabin and of course the Queens Grill.

Thank you again for your help.

Best wishes,

Stephen.

• 2 weeks later...

Stephen - did you get the cabin changed? As you will have seen from the postings we are off on the 15 Dec and will be in 8006 and so will take some pics so that may help a bit. It has been really hard to find pictures of Q2. I came across one that was on this site in the section of inside pics taken in 2003: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/holiday_pics/qe2_may03/inside.htm

It looked a bit dated/ old fashioned? But all the interior shots did seem a bit the same but the flash effect may not help. I guess most people are good at taking shots of the exterior and public rooms but forget to take photos of the rooms they stay in! We took pics of the mini-suite we had on the Aurora on a short August weekender and it did not look nearly as good in the photos as in real life.

Gary

Thanks for the link to the photos. Very useful. Cunard seem to have decorated the Grill from previous photos I had seen. It is difficult to get good interior shots without professional lighting.

I have not changed my cabin yet. My girlfriend seems to like the idea of the bigger cabin even though the balcony is smaller. I will think again when the Cunard booking confirmation arrives.

I would certainly be interested in any information or photos after your trip. I will be interested to hear what you think of the Queens Grill experience.

I would love to be on the 15th December crossing. I am sure it will be wonderful.

Thanks again and best wishes, Stephen.

Archived