space saver packing bags?

paigek

We used them when we went to Alaska, packed our parka, sweats, and bulkier clothes in them...they worked great...didn't use them on the formal wear or things that would wrinkle badly. They really squish your clothes down flat, the only thing you have to watch out for is that they shrink stuff so much you are tempted to load up your suitcase and it can become too heavy to meet baggage wt. limits. Sissy

Okay...I have also been considering using these but...If I use a vacuum to get all of the air out to pack, what do I do about packing on the return. I won't have access to a vacuum on the ship to repack and everything won't fit back in the suitcase???

I have a set of these that need the vacuum for storage at home and a set that you just squeeze the air out for travel. Both are Pack Mates that I got from QVC.

If you fold carefully and don't put anything linen in them you should be O.K. I use them mostly for my daytime t-shirts and shorts, undies, DH's socks, and polo shirts. We've got a couple of really big ones that we use for compressing dirty clothes to take home.

I have always been intrigued by these vacuum bags as well, but have that same question/problem- what to do when packing for return?

I do have one of the roll-out the air types and even though we haven't used it many times, I have noticed the seal/valve is already starting to lose it's ability to keep the air out. Not impressed for the money I paid.

Lately, I've been packing everything in the large Zip-lock bags as jst4fun suggested. I get the really big ones and pack each one with an "outfit" so that all I have to do each morning is look at what's in it and pull it, then I have everything already coordinated down to my socks without having to dig in drawers. I really love this system! I wouldn't say that it compresses the load much, but it sure does make your suitcase more organized!

Yes they do! I packed my undies in one, my swimsuits and workout clothes in another, shorts/capris in one, tops in one, etc. My formal gown and dressy longer things were placed on hangers into dry cleaning bags - about 3 to a bag. Laid out, folded up, and placed in the suit case on top of everything else. Dressy blouses and shorter things went into the built-in garment bag that my new luggage has (seems that most of the newer ones have this feature now). I had not a single wrinkle. Never even needed to steam anything in the bathroom Just amazing.

is to bring your own pillow! I bought one for $4 at Target so I could bring my feather pillow with me for a convention this summer and it worked beautifully. I didn't know that 2 1/2 gallon bags existed until I read about them here and I am using them to pack for my cruise but they aren't large enough for my pillow and I doubt I would be able to squeeze all the air out even if they were.

I have the space saver bags from QVC that you simply roll out the air. I used to like to travel with a down lap blanket and this worked great. I also found out that there are no more wrinkles in my clothes when I pack them in the bags, then the wrinkles they had when they went in the bag. I'm giving one to my travel bud for my cruise in three weeks because she does not travel without her pillow.

Lav

We pack a couple unused in our suitcase and use them for dirty clothes. This frees up space in the suitcase for any purchased made on the trip and with dirty laundry we don't care about wrinkles.

I use them along with zip lock bags. Since we drive to the port, we don't have to worry about weight. I pick them up all year on sale (Walgreens has them on sale right now). I use the travel space bags that don't require a vacuum. As mentioned above, I don't use them on our formal attire or dresses but they are great for shorts, tops, underwear, and dirty clothes.

Love them !!! Got all our clothes for 10 day vacation to Canada with 7 day cruise to Alaska and 3 days in Vancouver into 3 bags. Had a little wiggle room in each suitcase and a couple extra empty bags that came in handy to repack the tshirts and 4 nice fleece jackets we bought on the cruise. We also have an awesome rolling garment bag that holds a lot that his suits, my dresses for formal nights, and clothes that easily wrinkled fit nicely in. I just made sure each has a drycleaners bag over them. I also use smaller ziploc bags to put small things like hosiery and his handkerchiefs in and stuff them inside shoes to save even more space. Place them inside the plastic bags off your daily newspaper so they can't get anything the run against dirty. All of our friends and relatives have me help them pack. My son was in the Army and one of his Sargeants asked him where the HE double hockeysticks he learned to pack so good. He told him that I had taught him. The Sargeant said that the Army should hire me to teach packing methods in basic training. Needless to say, he had my son "instruct his fellow platoon members on Mom's method." :D

Archived