Help needed please for 1st time QM2 passengers

Tobysmum

My husband and I area planning a trip next May to celebrate my 60th birthday, with the centerpiece being a QM2 transatlantic crossing from uk to USA. We are planning to take in Paris as well beforehand (coming from Sydney via Dubai). Our only other cruise experience was on the Ocean Princess last year to Japan. I have so many questions but to narrow it down for now (!) when we make our booking we will have to choose between 6 .30 or 8.30 dining (we're going to book a deck 6 hull cabin). Are the evening shows repeated to allow for viewing for both sittings? What time is breakfast served until (we plan on doing some sleeping late). Does it really make a difference what side of the ship our cabin is on regarding the sun, and lastly (for now at least!) how stable is the ship - really. Thanks in anticipation for your answers. I'm loving reading the threads so far and can't wait for next year.

Are the evening shows repeated to allow for viewing for both sittings? What time is breakfast served until (we plan on doing some sleeping late). Does it really make a difference what side of the ship our cabin is on regarding the sun, and lastly (for now at least!) how stable is the ship - really.

Welcome to the QM2!

The evening shows are repeated for both first & second seating passengers.

Breakfast for Britannia class is served from 8:00 - 9:30 but can also be taken at King's Court (buffet) until 11:00.

Going to NY from Southampton the sunny side will be the port (left) side of the ship.

The QM2 is probably the most stable ship in the world as she is a true ocean liner with a proper hull for the North Atlantic as well as two sets of stabilisers.

We have taken 4 voyages on her and will be doing 2 crossings this year. She is the only ship I'd take crossing the North Atlantic.

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I think we're leaning towards the 8.30 dinner option, as that way we can indulge in the afternoon teas, and have time to work up an appetite again! Not sure about requesting to be part of a table for 6 or 8, I guess the more the merrier.

My husband and I area planning a trip next May to celebrate my 60th birthday, with the centerpiece being a QM2 transatlantic crossing from uk to USA. I have so many questions but to narrow it down for now... when we make our booking we will have to choose between 6 .30 or 8.30 dining. Are the evening shows repeated to allow for viewing for both sittings? What time is breakfast served until. Does it really make a difference what side of the ship our cabin is on regarding the sun, and lastly how stable is the ship - really.

Hi,

Classiccruiser777 gives great answers, you'll find QM2 a quite different experience to Ocean Princess. QM2 is a vast ship and it could take several days to find the way around and many people miss seeing some parts when they leave at the end of their voyage (the outside Scenic Lifts for example, or the Bridge viewing gallery). She is a very stable ocean liner. My favourite room on board is the Commodore Club, during the day there are wonderful views over the bow and at night the atmosphere is unbeatable. Below there is a link to many pictures of her interiors and a virtual tour.

Bon Voyage, you'll find one trip on QM2 is never enough!

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I think we're leaning towards the 8.30 dinner option, as that way we can indulge in the afternoon teas, and have time to work up an appetite again! Not sure about requesting to be part of a table for 6 or 8, I guess the more the merrier.

I always request a table for 8 people and always opt for the second sitting. Might I suggest that you take an In-Hull bslcony cabin on deck 5 rather than 6 as above deck 6 is the Promenade Deck and you can be disturbed early by walkers and joggers as they get their early morning fixes. Deck 5 only has cabins above and below it.

Thanks Pepperrn for the links and photos. I'll look forward to checking them out, though I have this strange quirk (not shared by my husband!) that I don't want to spoil the surprise of seeing things for the first time in the flesh so to speak! Capnpugwash - being on deck 5 wasn't something we'd considered, but we hadn't thought about the noise of pounding feet. Have you had experience of it yourself? Must apologize for the ineptness of replying but I'm not sure how to take bits of your replies, highlight them and then reply to them! I'm just excited to be able to pick all your brains and experience!

Thanks Pepperrn for the links and photos. I'll look forward to checking them out, though I have this strange quirk (not shared by my husband!) that I don't want to spoil the surprise of seeing things for the first time in the flesh so to speak! Capnpugwash - being on deck 5 wasn't something we'd considered, but we hadn't thought about the noise of pounding feet. Have you had experience of it yourself? Must apologize for the ineptness of replying but I'm not sure how to take bits of your replies, highlight them and then reply to them! I'm just excited to be able to pick all your brains and experience!

Cunard have a no running before 8am rule on deck 7 but this is often ignored and never enforced. Personally I haven't experienced it but I know a few people who have. If you are early risers as I tend to be then it wouldn't bother you but really the lower you are on the ship the closer you are to the thrill of the ocean rushing by, and it is a thrill, even now. There are your style of cabins on decks 4, 5 and 6, I prefer 5 for reasons stated but 4 is very good as well especially if it is your first time on board.:) As Whitemarsh states there have been noise issues on deck 4 aft but I would always be forward of the C or perhaps the B stairs so it never was an issue, plus I am never in bed before the music in the Queen's Room stops.

Avoid deck 4 above the Queens Room and G32. We knew someone who had an inside above the Queens Room and they said they could hear the music. They found it hard to sleep until the band finished. Deck 5 is your best option if you want an in-hull balcony.

This is all great advice, thanks everyone. Having spent time trying to work out the best spot on deck 6,we'll now turn our energies to deck 5! Now if only we knew when Cunard was going to open the bookings for May.......we could really start planning in earnest.

This is all great advice, thanks everyone. Having spent time trying to work out the best spot on deck 6,we'll now turn our energies to deck 5! Now if only we knew when Cunard was going to open the bookings for May.......we could really start planning in earnest.

2013 bookings "should" be available April ish this year:) If you will be in Europe anyway I suggest that you look at a TA from Hamburg to NYC, the send off is fantastic and Hamburg is a train ride from Paris

.... What time is breakfast served until (we plan on doing some sleeping late)..

If you like sleeping late, maybe you should try breakfast room service, we always do. I'm never ceased to be amazed how prompt and hot the tea and food is. They promise to deliver it to your stateroom in 15 minute time slots, and it's always been online and delicious.

Just fill out the form and hand it on your door before you go to bed.

First seating in Britannia dining room is 6 pm.

I've had friends stay on deck 6 and they were disturbed early morning by joggers on deck 7 - several times.

I generally stay on deck 4 close to B staircase and never had a problem with noise and if the seas are rough there is little movement.

'If you will be in Europe anyway I suggest that you look at a TA from Hamburg to NYC, the send off is fantastic and Hamburg is a train ride from Paris'

Sorry for the delay in replying - bedtime called as I'm on the other side of the world from most of you! Although Hamburg certainly sounds like an exciting alternative idea, we are planning to mark my birthday with 3 major cities (and cruise of course!) Paris, London and New York. We've only ever spent 1 day in London before so will be trying to cram in as much as possible for 3 days or so before boarding at Southhampton. I've just looked at this year schedule and it wouldn't give us anytime to see London. Question is - would Hamburg make up for not seeing London?!

If you like sleeping late, maybe you should try breakfast room service, we always do. I'm never ceased to be amazed how prompt and hot the tea and food is. They promise to deliver it to your stateroom in 15 minute time slots, and it's always been online and delicious.

What a great idea - I like the sound of that - very decadent. I'm a hopeless romantic and must admit that I've got visions of Hercule Poirot-type characters walking around the decks!:)

2013 bookings "should" be available April ish this year:) If you will be in Europe anyway I suggest that you look at a TA from Hamburg to NYC, the send off is fantastic and Hamburg is a train ride from Paris

Success - I've finally worked out how to quote a sender in my reply - baby steps!:)

First seating in Britannia dining room is 6 pm.

I've had friends stay on deck 6 and they were disturbed early morning by joggers on deck 7 - several times.

I generally stay on deck 4 close to B staircase and never had a problem with noise and if the seas are rough there is little movement.

Thanks for that - I think we're pretty much convinced to avoid deck 6 now. I particularly like the reference to 'if the seas are rough there is little movement'! The less movement the better!

'If you will be in Europe anyway I suggest that you look at a TA from Hamburg to NYC, the send off is fantastic and Hamburg is a train ride from Paris'

Sorry for the delay in replying - bedtime called as I'm on the other side of the world from most of you! Although Hamburg certainly sounds like an exciting alternative idea, we are planning to mark my birthday with 3 major cities (and cruise of course!) Paris, London and New York. We've only ever spent 1 day in London before so will be trying to cram in as much as possible for 3 days or so before boarding at Southhampton. I've just looked at this year schedule and it wouldn't give us anytime to see London. Question is - would Hamburg make up for not seeing London?!

Difficult to answer, it depends how long you would spend in London. If you were going to be here for 2 or 3 days then probably not but if you were only here for a day or 2 I would spend an extra day in Paris then get the train to Hamburg for the TA. The bonus is that you get two extra days on board the QM2.

When I've cruised on other lines, I've generally been able to order items not on the room service menu (e.g., eggs benedict for breakfast) simply by writing them in. Is this possible on Cunard for non-Grill passengers?

Thanks.

Difficult to answer, it depends how long you would spend in London. If you were going to be here for 2 or 3 days then probably not but if you were only here for a day or 2 I would spend an extra day in Paris then get the train to Hamburg for the TA. The bonus is that you get two extra days on board the QM2.

I guess at this stage it's more a case of wait and see, as we really can't plan seriously until the May 2013 dates are announced. Would I be right in assuming that the sailing itineraries and dates are pretty much the same, year in year out? I have no real city preferences, but I guess travelling from Paris to Hamburg opens us up to more European sights and sounds than just staying in London. Unlike those based in Europe, for those of us living 'down under' we have to make every travelling moment count! No hopping over the channel for us - we're 'long-haul' all the way!:p

I beg to differ - well, as a Londoner, I would, wouldn't I?! Hamburg send-offs for the QM are spectacular, whereas for Southampton it's just routine, but for a first timer you will find plenty to excite you on board without the cheering and waving outside! Hamburg is a pleasant city but not in the same league as London (or Paris) so if time is limited I think you would be mad to schlep half way across Northern Europe (it's a minimum 8 - 9 hours by train with at least one change) rather than staying in Paris the extra time and taking a 2.5 hour Eurostar to London the day before you embark, or enjoying London till the day.

When I've cruised on other lines, I've generally been able to order items not on the room service menu (e.g., eggs benedict for breakfast) simply by writing them in. Is this possible on Cunard for non-Grill passengers?

I've not had a reasonable request refused on Cunard. Yes, absolutely.

I'm with missfrankiecat - you've got to come to London!

I must admit my heart is saying 'London' , as a trip taking in Paris, London and New York has a lovely symmetry to it. Hamburg doesn't seem to quite fit in somehow! No offence CapnPugwash, but I think London is calling!:)

I must admit my heart is saying 'London' , as a trip taking in Paris, London and New York has a lovely symmetry to it. Hamburg doesn't seem to quite fit in somehow! No offence CapnPugwash, but I think London is calling!:)

No problem at all, I was born and brought up in London and I love New York and Paris.

Archived