Belize recommendation

Any recommendations for Belize? My mom uses a scooter for any extended mobility. I've read that Belize is a tender port and scooters aren't allowed. So, I've been trying to find an excursion we can do where she can use a wheelchair. I don't want to spend the day on the ship so ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Double check with your cruise line. The port has a roll-on tender. We did not have any problems at all. Belize is an interesting little town to wander around in.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

What is a roll-on tender? Do you think she might be able to use her scooter? Thanks!

What is a roll-on tender? Do you think she might be able to use her scooter? Thanks!

A Roll-on tender is one that has the ability for mobility scooters to be driven directly onto it. Typically most ships use their own life boats as tenders which do not have Roll-On capabilities. The Port of Belize does provide a tender at times that does have Roll-on capabilities. However depending on how many cruise ships may be in port at that time it may not be available for your ship.

Additionally even with having roll-on tender weather and sea conditions can still prohibit mobility scooters from being allowed to board. Even with a roll-on tender boarding with a mobility scooter is at the discretion of the Captain.

You really won't know for certain until the actual port day so it may be hard to plan any excursion in advance. If you pay for an excursion and are not allowed to board there is not a roll-tender that most cruise lines state on its website that the excursion will not be refunded under these circumstances. I never pre-book anything for tendered ports.

I was there two years ago on a Royal Caribbean ship and I had been informed from the little Royal Caribbean people on two or three different occasions that this was a tender port and that you must be able to walk onto the tender boat. I use a power wheelchair full time, so we did not even bother trying to make plans for Belize. I was just going to stay on the ship. The morning we stopped at Belize, the cabin steward told me that there was a roll on tender boat and that I should go ashore. He turned out to be absolutely correct. I drove my wheelchair right up onto the tender boat, and when we reached the dock drove right down the ramp and onto the dock. We didn't really do much except for a little bit of shopping right there at the dock area, I was with an older lady who had a high dollar camera. There were a bunch of teenagers hanging around the area where you go through the gate and out into the proper city and she didn't want to lose her camera, so we played it safe and stayed at the dock area. But yeah, they do have at least one tender boat that you can just drive right onto. The seas were calm while I was there and it may very well be a different story if the water is choppy and the tender boat is bouncing up and down a lot. That would make for a tricky ride, and it might even end up in some misery for you.