If you've "been there, done that" in Cozumel...

heels_fan

Hi folks. I know a lot of cruisers have been to Cozumel multiple times and despite the variety of activities available, are still looking for something just a little bit different or new to do. That was the case with my boyfriend and I on our last trip. I came to this board searching, and on the recommendation of a fellow member here, we decided to spend part of our day volunteering at the Humane Society of Cozumel Island. This was truly the highlight of our cruise! We spent part of our time taking some of the dogs out for walks, and then we met all of the puppies, and got so many sweet puppy snuggles! Everyone at the Humane Society was incredibly friendly and gracious. We were able to walk to the shelter in about fifteen minutes from the Puerta Maya pier, and then walked back into town in ten minutes or less (to the intersection by the mall where the Carls Jr. is). We STILL had time to catch a cab and relax and have lunch at the beach AND then go into San Miguel for shopping. I would like to encourage anyone who may be thinking about how to spend some extra time in Cozumel, and isn't afraid to try something different, to consider swinging by the Humane Society. You can contact them ahead of time via Facebook or their website. Or feel free to ask any questions you may have here, and I will do my best to answer. These folks do so much good work with very little resources, and I truly just can't say enough good things about them or about our experience there that day!... Who doesn't love puppy snuggles and extra walking equals extra chips and salsa or margaritas, right? It's win-win! :D

I love that idea. i'm going on a cruise there next month, I think I may do this too!

I think you will really enjoy it if you decide to go! And depending on your time in port, you will likely have plenty of time to do something else as well. Contact Laurita at the Humane Society, and she will be waiting for you. Have a wonderful cruise!

As an animal lover I thank you. That's so kind of you. My wife and son volunteer at the local Petco cleaning out the cat cages for the cats that are up for adoption. My boys and I are big Tar Heel basketball fans here in PA. Not having their best year but there's still time to improve. When it comes to football it's all Penn State. We will be in Cozumel in April so may check this out. We do have reservation at Mr Sanchos. How long were you there helping?

As an animal lover I thank you. That's so kind of you. My wife and son volunteer at the local Petco cleaning out the cat cages for the cats that are up for adoption. My boys and I are big Tar Heel basketball fans here in PA. Not having their best year but there's still time to improve. When it comes to football it's all Penn State. We will be in Cozumel in April so may check this out. We do have reservation at Mr Sanchos. How long were you there helping?

Hi! The shelter opens every morning at 9:00, and they clean from 9:00 until 11:00 each day. Then, they begin walking dogs at 11:00. We explored the port, took a leisurely stroll through that side of town, and then showed up at 11:00 and stayed for about an hour and a half. We had plenty of time to have lunch on the beach, do some shopping, and have a drink after we finished up there. (Keep in mind that Cozumel is in the Eastern Time Zone - I don't know where you may be leaving from, but leaving from New Orleans, this worked in our favor.) If you're not able to spend much time there, they have a wish list of supplies that they need, and some of them are very small (read: easy to transport) and we can get them much easier and cheaper here in the states. We took them a bag of leashes and collars. They need things like zip ties, bandanas, q-tips, and even tape and super glue. You can find all of that info on their facebook page. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link here, but it is listed as Humane Society of Cozumel Island on Facebook. Thanks for considering helping out! I hope you have an awesome trip & GOOO HEELS! :D

Hi! The shelter opens every morning at 9:00, and they clean from 9:00 until 11:00 each day. Then, they begin walking dogs at 11:00. We explored the port, took a leisurely stroll through that side of town, and then showed up at 11:00 and stayed for about an hour and a half. We had plenty of time to have lunch on the beach, do some shopping, and have a drink after we finished up there. (Keep in mind that Cozumel is in the Eastern Time Zone - I don't know where you may be leaving from, but leaving from New Orleans, this worked in our favor.) If you're not able to spend much time there, they have a wish list of supplies that they need, and some of them are very small (read: easy to transport) and we can get them much easier and cheaper here in the states. We took them a bag of leashes and collars. They need things like zip ties, bandanas, q-tips, and even tape and super glue. You can find all of that info on their facebook page. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link here, but it is listed as Humane Society of Cozumel Island on Facebook. Thanks for considering helping out! I hope you have an awesome trip & GOOO HEELS! :D

Thanks for the info and thanks. We'll have an awesome time.