Beach glass????

cruiseescape

According to a post that I read here a few months ago (and wrote down, lol)...

The best place to get beach glass is Alexandra Bay in St. Georges. It is by St Catherine's Bay, past the fort.

The seaglass is plentiful in the cave to the left (if you go at low tide) between the battery and the beach, or among the reef rocks at the end of the cement wall. The cave is 15feet beyond the seawall and the seaglass in it is 5" deep! I've never been there (going in August) but this is a must do on my trip so I wrote it down!!!! :)

Thanks for the information...I have collected beach glass at home on Cape Cod, Aruba, Alaska, St. Martin's, and the Bahamas, but have never found it on Bermuda!

I'll let you know how my search goes! All colors or just brown, white and green?

We found A LOT of beach glass last October in Bermuda, the previos poster is correct on where you can find it. Alexandria Battery Bay Beach. We found green, brown, white, ceramics and a few blue pieces. Have a great time!:p

I found a lot of beach glass at Tobacco Bay. Oh, wait.. I guess when it says "Budweiser" on it, that doesn't count! :D

Truly, just a warning for anyone going to Tobacco Bay... wear aqua socks because there is a lot of cut glass from beer bottles there.

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from Bermuda on the Majesty and I went to that beach. It was deserted all four days. I got a ton of the sea glass, and even some rare blue pieces. I did find the cave and went way in and there is glass all along the floor. Everyone was down at Tobacco Bay so I had this beach all to myself to sun and swim and pick up glass and shells.

Just returned from the Norwegian Crown (yes, the ship stuck on the reef). There was so much beach glass on the small beach next to Alexandra's Battery Park, the beach glass washes up right on the beach. To get there from the dock in St. George's make a right onto Duke of York street, this then turns into Barracks Hill, then it is Cut Road (all the same street just name changes, you are walking with the water on your right). You then make a left onto Floral Lane, Battery Park is just ahead and the beach is to the left. You can see the beach glass from the road at the waters edge!

• 2 weeks later...

Beach glass (or Sea glass) is pieces of broken glass that have gotten into the ocean. Tumbling through the waves and sand wears the edges smooth until it almost looks like a colored rock. You can find it in many different colors, even pieces that are ceramic from old dishes, etc.

Fort St. Catherine and Tobacco Bay beaches (a handy walk from the port of St. George) are awesome for seaglass "hunting." I was in my glories there last May and declared it like "shooting fish in a barrel." I think the local beach bars throw their beer and wine bottles out into the ocean. It is so plentiful. You're only limited by how much room you have in your suitcase. I came home and filled a big jar with my finds.

What do you do with the beach glass when you get it home?

I put what I found in a glass vase, along with a piece of ceramic that I bought in St. George, it was painted by a local artist who goes to those beaches to find suitable pieces. With all the differnt colors and shapes it really stands out in a vase. Plus it is a FREE souvenir.:p

Just returned from the Norwegian Crown (yes, the ship stuck on the reef). There was so much beach glass on the small beach next to Alexandra's Battery Park, the beach glass washes up right on the beach. To get there from the dock in St. George's make a right onto Duke of York street, this then turns into Barracks Hill, then it is Cut Road (all the same street just name changes, you are walking with the water on your right). You then make a left onto Floral Lane, Battery Park is just ahead and the beach is to the left. You can see the beach glass from the road at the waters edge!

Thanks so much for the directions. Can you tell me how long a walk it is?

Just got back and easily found Battery Beach...it's true, you pick up the seaglass by the handful! Found some ceramics, and some blue, but mostly white, green and brown! Couldn't get into the cave as it was high tide when we were there. Also entrance to cave on right is preceded by a lot of rocks and I was afraid I night turn an ankle,

You can bhget there easily by taking the green minibus from the terminal, $3 each way and it runs every 15 minutes!

I left some for everyone!

Achilles Bay Beach was loaded with it. It is between Tobacco Bay and Gates Bay (St. Catherine's Beach) It is a small beach and the first time there were 3 other people there, the second time, 2 little local boys playing in the water. Click on the link below my name to see a picture of it.

Jackie

http://img306.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p10100207nc.jpg

Achilles Bay Beach was loaded with it. It is between Tobacco Bay and Gates Bay (St. Catherine's Beach) It is a small beach and the first time there were 3 other people there, the second time, 2 little local boys playing in the water. Click on the link below my name to see a picture of it.

Jackie

http://img306.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p10100207nc.jpg

Are there signs letting you know where this beach is? Is it easy to find?

Are there signs letting you know where this beach is? Is it easy to find?

It's just to the left of Fort St. Catherine. We drove on the scooters and signs were at the beach, but I don't remember seeing any on the drive. We drove into Hamilton, and we didn't see signs for that either, but we managed to find our way. The most fun was just driving around without a destination and discovering things.

We went through King's Square, took a right on Duke of York Street, a left on Duke of Kent, passed the Unfinished Church on our left, and I believe onto Government Hill Road. It is very easy to find and you will see people walking toward the beaches. You could walk there, but it would be very hot with many hills. I believe they have a bus that goes to St. Catherine's and Tobacco Bay, and it is very close to those two. When you get to St. George's, go into the little information center in King's Square. They have a lot of maps and info. I'm trying to upload an image of a scan, but having problems. I had to resize and I think it will be too small to see.

Jackie

http://img95.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stgeorgemap7qz.jpg

Archived