Salmon Question

swansonia

A couple of questions for the Alaska experts out there. We missed the salmon spawning season this year. Next time we would like to see the salmon (and hopefully bears feasting on the salmon.) What is the prime time for this? I have heard than Anan creek is excellant for bear viewing...are there other places that you would reccomend? We learned so much from these boards for our first cruise. What a wonderful resource you all are !!! :D

A couple of questions for the Alaska experts out there. We missed the salmon spawning season this year. Next time we would like to see the salmon (and hopefully bears feasting on the salmon.) What is the prime time for this? I have heard than Anan creek is excellant for bear viewing...are there other places that you would reccomend? We learned so much from these boards for our first cruise. What a wonderful resource you all are !!! :D

I was on a cruise 2 weeks ago. All of the streams and rivers were packed with Salmon. Seen 2 bear at the Mendenhall Glacier area feasting on Salmon. One was 8 feet from the boardwalk. I would say July 15 on, you will see spawning salmon in all the ports. Last year in late Sept, we seen several bears in and around the river above the falls in Ketchikan. About 1 mile walk, that is if you can stand the rotting salmon.

Thanks for info....Yuck...hadn't thought about the rotting salmon. :eek: But my DH really, really wants to see a bear eating salmon. Oh, well.....

IMHO, the very best bear viewing/salmon eating is here. A couple of days is well worth the money. http://www.hallobay.com/

Mid August/early September the bears are "power feeding" on the salmon to get ready for winter. There is a lot of rotting salmon any place the bears are eating salmon. They only eat the skin and the soft fleshy underbelly. But the other animals and birds have a bounty.

You can also go to Brooks Falls. More crowded and more "regimented" (platform viewing) http://www.alaska.org/bear-viewing/brooks-falls.htm

I'm no expert, but I was in Alaska from 8/13-20. Saw LOTS of salmon in all ports. Saw 3 close up black bears in Juneau (Mendenhall glacier).

Archived