news about the Magnifica

scruffts2007

see here for news..like the idea of venice to new york

A new schedule for MSC Magnifica

10/1/2009

Originally planned for delivery from STX France in 2010 but later moved up to December this year, MSC Magnifica is now coming in March 2010 after all. Instead of being named in Hamburg on Dec. 5 and proceeding directly to Fort Lauderdale for the 2009/10 Caribbean season, the ship will operate in the Mediterranean from March until September 2010.

On Sept. 4, it will sail from Venice to New York and launch open-jaw fall foliage cruises between New York and Quebec City.

Then MSC Magnifica will head to Fort Lauderdale for the 2010/11 Caribbean season, assuming the line’s seven-day cruise program. And making its return to Fort Lauderdale, MSC Lirica will operate the season’s 10- and 11-day itineraries.

The changes were announced by Rick Sasso, president and ceo of MSC Cruises USA, Friday night during an MSC Orchestra event in Fort Lauderdale.

Asked if the extended MSC Magnifica deployment signals the start of year-round service for MSC in North America, Sasso said not yet. But he called the 2010/11 schedule ‘a further step’ in expanding the line’s US presence.

He also said a ‘significant’ number of Americans are now cruising on MSC’s year-round Mediterranean ships.

Because of the revised MSC Magnifica delivery the 2009/10 Caribbean program will be operated by a single ship, MSC Poesia, instead of the two-vessel program that was planned.

6space.gif 6space.gif6space.gif6space.gif6space.gif copyright.gif

I called MSC and they said they still have not made an official announcement. I am not sitting around to be disappointed. After reading everything I read here in the past 2 weeks, it was a easy decision. We are cancelling. The kids free made it very tempting, but the extra $500 is worth my piece of mind with 2 cruise companies that I enjoy.

I still have to decide what to do with the Poesia, but it was a great deal for a New years cruise.

I called today about the Magnifica and they told me that it will still be here for Dec 09 - April 2010. But they are now shuffling around the spring break schedule and it will be finalized in a few weeks.

Go to the MSC websiteand check your sailing, my sailing ( that I cancelled) is not coming up in February.

• 1 month later...

It has been a while since we booked, does anyone know any latest news for the Magnifica? We booked our Mar. 13/10 Caribbean and have not heard any news from our TA. We even called MSC directly and have no answer what might not. Hopefully if someone can share any news if we are sailing on the Poesia, it is good to know... Thank you.

What I have been consistently told is that the Magnifica will not be sailing the 2009/2010 Caribbean itineraries. The Poesia will be doing the 7 day eastern/western schedule. They are working now to change everything over and hope to have it completed by the end of next week.

I too am booked on the Mar 13'10 (and March 20) Magnifica cruise. I too have been told it will be the Poesia instead. I have no confirmation of the change. MSC is ridiculously lax in updating their system and confirming the change of ship. It would be nice to get something concrete already!

I have spoken to Rick Sasso about this and the info on the original post is correct. The MAgnifica will not be sailing for Jan, Feb, March 2010 as it was first reported and in their brochure. Those wonderful deep Caribbean sailings will be on Poesia in Nov and Dec of 2009. Then the Poesia will do the 7 night cruises that Orchestra has been doing, with some port changes, and Orchestra is going back to Europe.

Given this info I called my TA and got some other info for Nov. 30, Poesia 11 day cruise. If interested in this , pls contact me at Picard2117@cox.net

Archived