Jewel of the Seas in the Mediterranean - Summer 2017

question for recent Jewel cruisers. we are doing sicily, mykonos, rhodes, santorini, athens and naples in september.

I have read that liquor (bottles obviously) is not available for purchase during the eastern med cruise...True?

also is the VAT tax added to purchases on board while you are out at sea?

thank you.

We were on Jewel about two weeks ago ( west med). I saw a lot of bottles (I am assuming it was alcohol) in a plastic container as we were coming back from ashore. All had stickers on them so they could be identified for delivery to the proper cabin on the last day of cruise..

Yes they charged VAT on all sales during the whole cruise ( including the 'out at sea).

At the airport (FCO) I saw 'stations' with signs " Taxes /VAT return" where people were getting their paid taxes back ( keep all of your receipts).

thank you. i've read more than one review that said liquor and cigarettes were not available from onboard shops during the cruise.

thanks again.

I have been on Jewel twice in the Med this year and I have no recollection of seeing bottles of alcohol or cigarettes for sale on either cruise.

• 6 months later...
I just finished my cruse today (sigh), and thought I'd add my review to this thread. I hope thats ok:

We are first time cruisers, my wife and I are in our fourties and we have an 11 and 13 year old boy.

Embarking and disembarking was a breeze. We arrived at around 11 at walked to the port, and got the shuttle bus out to the Ship and was on board before 12. When we left the Ship a week later it was even better. We got a 7.15 time and was called 7.05 and was in our prebooked taxi at 7.10. So easy!

The cabin : 3130

Was small but situated quite well,close to centrum without the noise. Fitted 4 people. Kevis took good care of the room and made 3 towel animals which delighted the kids.

Food and the Ship:

We ate most breakfasts and some lunch in the Windjammer. It was ok. Theres a large selection, and mos tthings looked and tasted ok. But the whole experience is typical buffet. Which means the food doesn't look the part.

We ate 2 breakfasts and lunches, along with all 7 nights in Tides. It ranged from Very good to Excellent. Service was great, the food hot and looked and tasted like a medium-high restaurant. The view up there was great as we had a window table most nights.

We had the full drinkj package and took advantage. Lots od Frozen Margarites and Pina Coladas - along with some interesting cocktails at night. Highly recommended!

The ports :

Santorini: the tender went well. I was in the line 8.30 and they opened 8.50. I got tender no 5. After a windjammer Lunch we were called and after a short wait we were on our - very rocky - tender.

The plan was a boat trip to Oia, and we bought tickets and waited for the boat. And we waited. And found out there are more 'lines' and we picked the wrong one. When the ship finally left it went out into the choppy wave, circled 3 times then put back in to take more people. That pissed us off and we demanded - and got - our money back and went up to Fira instead. I wish we had more time there!

Mykonos :

We went in early using a taxi. Cost 10 euro. But when we wanted to return there we no taxis to be had. We eventually got the bus for only 1.60 a person. The town was very nice and we did some shopping. Too windy for beaches.

Athens, katákolon : we skipped Athens because of we had been recently and wanted the Ship to ourselves. Katákolon was a small and boring town. We didn't go to see Olympia as we were tired (also spent 4 days in Rome).

Hi ! Any info on how your kids enjoyed the ship? Enough activities ? Organised games through teen club?

Thx !!

Well, my eldest (13) loved the teen club, and he spent his nights with them. Playing on the X-box, or just hanging out (and doing whatever it is teenagers do). They especially loved the free nights in the gaming area.

The youngest sort of fell through the system. Too young for the teen club but too old for the kids club. Instead he got a crash course in hanging out, ordering sodas at the bars - crucial skills for future life :-).

The both enjoyed the pool, and the salt water didn't hurt their skin, as feared. They loved sitting in the pool, watching the big screen showing funny youtube style videos most of the time.

They had a great time, both of them. I iwsh we could afford going again, but we are kina still paying of last years trip, so this year, is going to be a lot cheaper with a trip to Malag, Span instead. Enjoy your trip!

• 6 months later...
Im on the jewel now. The food is great and everything is peachy. Especially the Indian food!

As for dress code it seems they have started enforcing it now. Several men were turned back yesterday for wearing shorts - including quite dress shorts, and I think people dressed up very nicely for the first formal. My wife felt underdressed in her nice dress ��

Trying to imagine "quite dress shorts". Any pictures of what that might mean?