Alone on Caronia

KarenR_UK

Now my arm is nearly better (broken in Jan seriously preoccupied with it since then) I am SERIOUSLY thinking about a trip before she goes over to Saga (assuming she is not booked out of course).

The itinery that appeals most is the Grand Med in October.

My main concern is that its 18 nights and the chances are that I shall be travelling alone - has any one done trips of this length alone on the Caronia ? Did you get lonely, or is it easy enough to mix?

I have been on Caronia, but not entirely alone. I had intended my first solo to be about 7 nights to see if I would be ok, but this trip really appeals.

Thanks

Karen

Caronia Sept 2003

My longesest single cruise on the Caronia was 14 days. It was very easy to mix. The fellow guests on my table were great, some I still meet. Also many people just enjoy socializing so I got to know many of passengers.
Thus I just hope it will not be different on an 18 nights cruise. I will go on the 18 nights one August, 31st, and will see.
Enjoy your cruise!

Karen: Two of the nine people were singles from Germany. Not only were they more than welcome, we Americans went out of our way to include them in our activities. (Such is the glory of large tables) Remember, Caronia has several single cabins also.
As helpful as you have been on these boards I can't imagine you not mixing in and having a great time. Have a wonderful cruise!

Rick,24 cruises and counting! Next cruise- #25-Riverboat cruise from Amsterdam to Vienna in July '04

Thank you both for your replies - I have spent the weekend trying to persuade myself I can afford it!

For 2 hours today, I had decided that I wouldn't be able to cope, but after logging in again this evening, I have taken the plunge and actually asked for some quotes.!!!

Lets see what they come up with & I can make the next decision.

I am still unsure/scared about it (I am a very insecure person [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ) but I am sure I will regret it if I dont go if I can.

Thanks again

Karen

Caronia Sept 2003

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I am still unsure/scared about it (I am a very insecure person [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ) but I am sure I will regret it if I dont go if I can.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Dear Alonia on Caronia,

I know how you feel, but it's amazing, thank god, how quickly the fears/uncertainties dissipate once you're on the "other side" of the fence (onbaord and loving it).

BTW: you also deserve it. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I'm a 47 y.o. male just returned from six weeks travelling solo on QM2 and in London. I enjoy being on my own, and when I got lonely I would do something more social (eg take a group walking tour) or start conversations with people.... a few times, amazing connections resulted.

Sometimes, I just needed to slow down and reconnect with myself.

And... I occasionally longed for someone to be sharing the experience with... but overall I had a genuinely great time.

Also, on a cruise, when the people are too much (or too little), there's always the Ocean...

Bon Voyage,

Crouton

What a nice response Crouton!
I too am traveling alone on the QE2 Mediterranean cruise on July 31st. Your recap of ideas alone was most helpful!
I hope I have an experience as pleasant as yours. Did you go on any Cunard sponsored shore excursions? That is my newest dilema; trying to decide if I should pay for thier excursions, or do them myself. Right now, I am thinking of going on a few of the Cunard sponsored shore excursions, but am waiting for some feedback . Your thoughts?

Cunard tours v DIY it's swings and roundabouts. With a Cunard tour you can at least be certain that they will get you back to the ship on time, or wait for you if delayed. I have had some great ones but also some stinkers. Also with independent have had good and bad, though they should be cheaper and give you more control of where you go. But in many cases you are in the hands of a local driver who may have his own reasons for where you go, like one we had recently who took us to a succession of tourist shops and roadside stalls, and even tried to deposit us at an elephant riding place, which was not our thing at all. We made it quite clear that we were only interested in seeing a little of area but he did not seem to understand that and at every shop etc he said "you go in, looky looky, I get my petrol money".

David.

hi karenr-
i too am traveling alone on july 22, on the qm2-i have done mant trips in the past few years traveling solo, and you will meet soo many nice people! i always ask for a large table at dinner, and many times attend shows with my new dinner friends, afterwards! the only downfall to traveling solo is the single supplement[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]!

CELEBRITY-BERMUDA 1996
ROYAL CARRIBEAN-ALASKA 2003
QUEEN MARY 2-TRANSATLANTIC CROSSING-JULY 2004!!!

Archived