Katakolon train

soggy1975

We are on the Ncl star docking in katakolon on wed 29 August

We want to get to Olympia and don't want an organised tour so we are planning on DIYing.

We are considering using the train but are concerned about it's infrequency and reliability.

I've read that the train timetable is linked to what ships are in port and to the best of my knowledge we are the only ship that day so I guess there will be a train departing shortly after we dock at 11am.

Would there then be a scheduled return train linked to the ships disembarkation time and would this be advertised?

How much later than the ships arrival time would the real depart?

What happens if you miss the train and can the train be full?

Has anyone got personal experience of using this train?

I've seen alternative options of private bus transfers..can anyone recommend one they've used themselves.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

I’ve been to katakolon twice and there’s a shuttle that is offered outside the port gates for $10 or $15eu if I remember correctly. They only allow a couple of hours there and has only one departure. I’ve also rented a car from Avis which is a few steps away from the port gates for about $60us and drove to Olympia. This gave us the most flexibility and there’s only one road to and from Olympia so you can’t really get lost. We had a garmin gps with Europe maps for all our travels.

We have used the mini train for the past 2 years. It runs around every 30 minutes and takes you to a lovely beach via a vineyard which you can either step off the train and have a look around or simply stay on until you reach the beach. We have never had any trouble using the train although the return journey does get busier the later in the afternoon you leave it. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again and we thoroughly enjoyed our day :-)

We rented a car from Avis for about 45 euros plus 10 euros in gas. Directions to Olympia is easy and there is a free parking lot by the museum. If your off the ship first then you can stay ahead of crowds at the site. Having a car gives you the most flexibility. Avis will give you a map and tell you where to get gas. Traffic is light and semi rural.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
We rented a car from Avis for about 45 euros plus 10 euros in gas. Directions to Olympia is easy and there is a free parking lot by the museum. If your off the ship first then you can stay ahead of crowds at the site. Having a car gives you the most flexibility. Avis will give you a map and tell you where to get gas. Traffic is light and semi rural.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is exactly what we did. It was great. We were at the site a long time before all the tour groups and had the ancient site mostly to ourselves for the best part of an hour. It also meant we could stop off at a local shop to buy olives and other snacks on the way back to the ship.