Lucayan National Park, Kayak Nature & Cave Tour

dengirl69

I've done it. I can't recommend it, however, it totally depends on you:

I am in good shape and have kayaked before, but I was with my 9-year-old old just last year. It was a disaster. I had bruises on my arms and legs, trying to navigate through the VERY narrow mangroves, moving the paddle from one side to the other. My son was clueless, so he was extra baggage! LOL!! The guide pushed for tips HARD, telling us it was his birthday. He and the rest of the tour, aside from one very sweet couple, left us in the dust. I was totally exhausted by the time we got to the beach. However, the beach was totally amazing! So beautiful. No services though. Lunch was included, but WOW....bad doesn't even describe it: Cheap white sandwich bread with "science" cheese, generic bagged chips, and generic water. I wouldn't go again.

I would rather pay an arm and a leg for a private driver to drive me there and stay with me because, even though there are NO services, the beach is awesome. Seriously beautiful.

2 other things:

The drive is long. Takes forever to get out there. You don't get that much time at the beach.

Also, I mentioned the narrow pathway through the mangroves. What I forget to say was to be prepared for random, sharp branches sticking out every few yards or so. They contributed to my bruises. It was a miracle my son didn't have his eye poked out. ( He's not the most observant child. )

Still though...that beach. WOW. Freeport is not my favorite port....but that beach is so cool. It's different from typical Bahamas/Caribbean beaches. The sand is gold, it's shallow forever, and the waves are perfect.

We were in Freeport earlier this month and went to the Lucayan National Park on our own. We rented a car right at the port and drove there. We did not do the caves, just walked across the road and to the beach. Cost was $5 entry fee per person. The beach was amazing, we took some bottles of water and snacks and we were fine. There were some port-o-johns on the way to the beach.

• 3 weeks later...
Dont take the excursion BUT get a driver to Gold Rock Beach instead. Look it up on YouTube. Beyond beautiful :cool: There was a good lunch place on a beach down the road, fresh fish etc.

How do I hire a driver? Any idea on the price?

We just got off the Dream and took this tour, we loved it. But we have kayaked before, not much but enough to understand. We still ended up in the trees,but a bit of work got us out. The drive was maybe 25 minutes, our guide was entertaining, and very attentive to the paddlers. He pointed out wildlife on the trip. The lunch is lame, but we knew this going in. The beach was lovely. We would do this again if we go back to Freeport. And he made no mention of tipping. Of course we did, totally awesome.