Cape Liberty Cruise Port in Bayonne , N.J.

Hobbster

Here's a website that may be of some help.

I cruised into this port this past May on the Voyager of the Seas from Ft. Lauderdale.

This port is still under renovation and is just really an old warehouse that's been converted for RCL and Celebrity. I've read a new one will be built in the future. It can't come soon enough.

Anway, I had to have a private car service pick my party up to take us into NYC. I didn't see any cabs available. RCL did have their bus service available to take people to Newark airport.

The only inconvenience was retrieving your luggage. It was put in a room with color stands, but my suggestion would be to mark your luggage very well so that you can find it in the sea of luggage. I did not see many luggage handlers to help.

http://www.*****.com/bayonne/index.htm

We sailed out of Bayonne last year and have another cruise in Oct.05.If you want more info.look at the celebrity boards,its loaded with threads about this port.It makes cruising less of a hasel having not to go out of NY or flying to catch a ship.We just drive up the the port and drop off the car and get on the ship.Its nice to leave the ship and just drive home.Were about 35 minutes away.

• 2 weeks later...

Jane 110 posted this on the "Questions for New Yorkers" thread: "My advice from NYC to Cape Liberty would be best if done via a private car service. Don't worry about pre-arranging one. Wait til you get here and you'll see listings for lots of them. Just book a few days ahead and they'll pick you up at your hotel and take you to the dock.

You don't want to take a NYC taxi to NJ. They have the right to charge you double the meter, so a car service would be a better choice."

DW and I are booked on Constellation on an 11-night Canada RT in September, 2006.

You can find a bunch of car services in the telephone book.

The local numbers of a couple are 666-6666 and 777-7777 (two different services) and they will be less expensive than a yellow cab which charges for the return trip to Manhattan.

The cruise port isn't very far from the Newark airport. If you happen to be renting a car you should be able to return the car at Newark airport and follow the signs for ground transportation for a taxi to the cruise port.

papadave, there are 3 of us + luggage + wheelchair going from EWR to Bayonne pier. We are looking for the least expensive and reliable way to get from

EWR--pier--EWR on return. We arrive on a Monday around noon and return on a Saturday around 11 am or so.

Suggestions--websites,--phone?

In advance, try links to ground transportation on the web site for the airport -- http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/ewrframe.HTM.

With a wheelchair, you may be better off finding out in advance who will be able to provide the best service.

I will try copying some of the information from the link below:

State Shuttle Northern, Central, and Western Counties in New Jersey

(800) 427-3207 or (973) 729-0030

prices vary

Taxi

Uniformed Taxi Dispatcher

Private Car/Limousine/Van Service

Limo One Transportation 1-888-904-5466 or 1-908-686-9399

Capital Limousine 1-800-263-1279

Super Saver by Carmel 1-800-924-9954 or 1-212-666-6666

Tel Aviv Car & Limo Service 1-800-222-9888 or 1-212-777-7777

Ground Transportation Information Counter at Airport

Prices vary On demand

thanks papadave. Mom uses the wheelchair for longer distances and her cane for general walking around. She can get in/out of cars, vans and busses just needs to take it slow.

I will start contacting some of the places you copied. Someone else mentioned cabs from EWR--pier--EWR, but also mentioned that 1 cab may not be enough room for 3 adults, 3 pieces of luggage, 3 small carry ons and a fold up wheelchair.

Your opinion?

WOW! I called and the least expensive was $100 + tip round trip for 3 people. That seems like a lot to me. Someone on another thread said they thought a cab would be $60 or less round trip.

Do the car service prices sound correct? My understanding was EWR-pier was only about a 15 minute trip. Does that sound right?

I ran the directions through http://www.mapquest.com and got the following results

Total Est. Time: 17 minutes Total Est. Distance: 9.61 miles

10 Toler Pl

Newark, NJ 07114-1431, US

Revise | New Directions

Cape Liberty Cruise Port: 800-398-9819

Bayonne, NJ 07002, US

Revise | New Directions

If you can't get a decent price in advance, you should just go to ground transportation at the airport (near baggage claim) and have them help you on the spot.

papadave, thanks for the info. I just can't see paying over $100 round trip for transportation to/from airport/pier.

Would the airport ground transportation be less expensive than a taxi?

We here in Indiana don't use taxis much, so it's kind of foreign to us. We just jump in the car and go or someone takes us to the airport and drops us off! I love the simple life!

I did call the 800 # and it is $40 pp RT for the bus. BUT it only leaves at certain times. We would have to wait to leave on the return bus until 12:30 pm and the ship docks at 9 am. (we have a 2:30 pm flight home). I think we would rather wait at the airport for a few hours than at the pier.

We just want it all, I guess--quick, easy and inexpensive!

It looks like we will take our chances that a cab is $35 for 3 one way and hope for the best.

Appreciate all of your help!

papadave, I found a direct phone # (973-961-6379) for the taxis from EWR to the pier and called it. They said it would be $35 one-way for 3 + luggage + wheelchair and there would be vans available should we not be able to fit into a regular sedan sized taxi. They said it would be no problem at either EWR or pier to find a van taxi.

Thanks for all of your help. Now I can relax knowing the price and availabilty of our transportation to/from airport/pier.

• 2 weeks later...

We live pretty close to the port. I dropped my parents off for a cruise there a few months ago and they got a cab coming home (the cabs were there already). You can drive too it as well as there is an open parking garage (not sure how much it is per day). There is nothing around there so you need to have a car or service to bring you there but if you live in the area it is very easy to get to.

Archived