Lost in NY

Anywhere in midtown will be fine, but exactly where will be highly dependent upon your budget.

December can be very expensive as we get lots of tourists from out of town in to see the Holiday window displays and do their shopping.

If your stay is in the beginning of the month be prepared to pay A LOT; if in the middle of the month we have seen some great Priceline wins recently and you may want to try that route.

If your flight gets in very late you can consider staying out by LGA, but if you want to see the city at all i really don't recommend it... the area is not very good and it is not easily commutable into the city via mass transit.

We just launched a new site (sorry, can't link here :()which will show you how far each of the hotels are from the pier, so you'll be able to see firsthand just how short a taxi ride staying at each hotel would be.

Newark is indeed out of the way if you want to visit NYC during your stay.... and not easily accessible via mass transit (you can get a taxi, but very expensive as a commuting option)

The one exception is the Gateway Hilton which is attached to Newark Penn Station (note, this is different than New York's Penn Station) at which point you can easily take the PATH train into Manhattan... but the area around Newark Penn Station is not one which everyone would feel comfortable being around at nite.

There are a few hotels in the Jersey City area (Hyatt, Doubletree, Courtyard, and Candlewood Suites) which have easy access to NYC via PATH train, but in the coldness of December the Hyatt would be your best choice followed by the Courtyard.

You may want to try to find our new site which does a very good job of easily viewing the area... the NYC hotels are covered under the NYC pier and the Newark Hotels are covered under the Bayonne pier.

Let me know if i can help further.

I just returned from NY City and I stayed at "The Belvedere" on 48th St.

It's an inexpensive hotel and a few blocks from the Cruise Pier. It's a business's man's hotel and well worth looking into. Check on "Trip Advisor."

Simply catch a Taxi to the Pier.

Happy Sailing!

Martita B.

I just returned from NY City and I stayed at "The Belvedere" on 48th St.

It's an inexpensive hotel and a few blocks from the Cruise Pier. It's a business's man's hotel and well worth looking into. Check on "Trip Advisor."

Simply catch a Taxi to the Pier.

Happy Sailing!

Martita B.

Martita,

I'm certain they allow business women to stay there too!;)

Summer - Stay in NYC. Don't stay in NJ for a NY visit and cruise departure. It's not worth the trouble.

Jane

While i'd agree mostly with the above regarding staying in NYC rather than NJ, the one exception would be staying in Jersey City (in the area near the PATH trains, not on Tonnelle Avenue).

Commuting via the Jersey City PATH into NYC is relatively painless (assuming your luggage is managable) and if you can get a good deal on the hotels there, the savings can be worth the minor inconvenience.

Archived