Beach suggestions for Samana

SouthernCruiser1714

We are traveling to Samana and Amber Cove at the end of November and this will be our first time traveling to these ports. I have read varying reviews about the islands and wanted to see if anyone could offer suggestions for a beach nearby the cruise port? We are traveling with our children (7 and 4 yo), so we are not looking to travel across the island and would like to ensure it is a safe area wherever we go. As far as beach, we are just looking for clean water, facilities, and possibly a place to purchase drinks.

Any other suggestions of tours or other activities suitable for families is also appreciated (i.e. short hiking, waterfalls).

Thanks so much!

• 1 month later...

I see you have already traveled, but I will add my opinion so others may benefit in the future.

When we went to Samana we did an excursion to the Atlantic side of the peninsula to a great beach near Limon, as there are not many beach options right there is Samana. But that was a 45 min trip each way, so doesn't fit your needs.

I would recommend a trip to Cayo Levantado. It is a short boat ride from the town pier and if you are there at the right time of year you may see Mom & Baby Humpback whales on the way. Some friends went there and had a great time, Most of the folks we talked to that stayed in town didn't really enjoy the port. If the ship is offering an excursion to Cayo Levantado, I would take it, as there are times the local authorities only allow the official ship tours to access this Island when the ship is in port.

I think Cayo Levantado will fit the above requirements nicely.