Has anyone done the Drift snorkel on Taha'a?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:26 PM.
California
26 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
We love to snorkel and have a lot of experience but I am worried about the strenuous description of this activity. I would appreciate some opinions from people who have done it. Also I know this beach experience is supposed to be top notch so is it worth it to give up 3 hours to do the drift snorkel? Thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
r
922 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
It's wonderful! I book it every trip through PG. Enjoy!

Downside. Each trip, I've seen people stand on the coral or freak out because the water is too skinny and they don't think they'll pass over corals. The excursion states that this is for experienced snorkelers, and they're right. Sometimes the freak-outers hold up the line behind them.
1,146 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Have done it at least 10 times ........ as long as you can maneuver yourself in the water to stay straight in the current you will be fine. If you can't don't take the tour. The location/setting at the end of the drift snorkel is my BH's favorite location .... peaceful and so colorful
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Trips to the French Polynesia/South Pacific:
1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 (2), 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015.

Upcoming Trips to the South Pacific:
July 26, 2017 on the Paul Gauguin

Likes: Traveling to the South Pacific on the Paul Gauguin and taking beautiful pictures.
California
26 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by AnglerGirl
It's wonderful! I book it every trip through PG. Enjoy!

Downside. Each trip, I've seen people stand on the coral or freak out because the water is too skinny and they don't think they'll pass over corals. The excursion states that this is for experienced snorkelers, and they're right. Sometimes the freak-outers hold up the line behind them.
Thanks so much!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
r
California
26 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by Tahitianbigkahuna
Have done it at least 10 times ........ as long as you can maneuver yourself in the water to stay straight in the current you will be fine. If you can't don't take the tour. The location/setting at the end of the drift snorkel is my BH's favorite location .... peaceful and so colorful
Ok, that does it! Thanks to both of you we're going to stick with it!
Susan and Joe
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
r
A perpetually fog shrouded wasteland below the arctic peaks of the Zokov islands.
224 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
I love snorkeling, but imho too much time and attention is spent maneuvering compared to watching for cool things. That said there was free time at the end to do one's own thing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"I told you to take it easy, Group Captain. There's nothing anybody can do about this thing now."
1,146 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
The setting .... yes that is Mt Otemanu 15 miles away in the distance, the perfect backdrop

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Trips to the French Polynesia/South Pacific:
1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 (2), 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015.

Upcoming Trips to the South Pacific:
July 26, 2017 on the Paul Gauguin

Likes: Traveling to the South Pacific on the Paul Gauguin and taking beautiful pictures.